A Little Help Replacing my EDC Flashlight

magikbullet

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys!

First off, great forum here, second I'd appreciate some help deciding on what to replace the e2e I carried for 3 years but managed to lose last week.

From what I've gathered looking through the posts here, flashlights have come a long way in the last few years and now put my 60 lumen incandescent e2e to shame. I'd like it's replacement to be roughly the same size, which as much power and battery life as possible.

I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the information, but the flashlights that have caught my eye the most are the fenix pd30, and the surefire e2dl and lx2. Please let me know what else is out there that would be a good fit, and whether the lx2 for example is worth the extra bill or so over the pd30.

Thanks for the help!

AusKipper

Enlightened
The newer LED lights may put your e2e to shame in the total luminous output, but still not color rendition.

It depends whats important to you.

Other lights in the area you have mentioned that will probably get recommended to you at some stage are:
Eagletac P10C
Nitecore EX10, EZ123
Quark 123
Zebralight H30 (very floody beam, not much throw)
Olight T10

So you can look into all of those I guess..

Its a tough choice out of those, If it was me, and my EDC, I would probably give the Fenix, Eagletac or Quark a go. (my actual EDC primary is a Fenix TK10, which is a bit bigger than your chasing, and my EDC secondaries are a Zebralight H501 (all flood, no throw) and a Fenix LD01 SS (good torch, though certainly wouldnt be brighter than your old Surefire). Runs on a single AAA

Lumenz

Enlightened
AusKipper has thrown out some good recommendations. I would like to add the Ra Clicky, which is my favorite EDC light. I also like to carry the ZebraLight H501 but I think that is more a secondary light than a primary EDC light.

turan8

Newly Enlightened
I've been EDC my Nitecore Defender Infinity since i bought it from the thread they had in 2007/2008? and it's still an awesome light. The switch is a little more finicky in that I have to have the head tightened down, but given the versatility of the light in terms of size, battery use, variable brightness, etc. it can't be topped.

Now they have it in R2 and Osram Golden Dragon versions i believe, in addition to the original q5 that i have.

strinq

Enlightened
Personally the best EDC's to me are keychain lights cuz heck I go everywhere with my keys.
And as of now the practical ones uses AAA batts or 10440 batts.
So the strong contenders would be the Fenix LDO1 and the Liteflux LF2XT.

But since ur used to carrying bigger lights, my personal recommendation would be the Fenix PD30 (cuz i have one) and the Quark 123 (cuz it looks good so far).

magikbullet

Newly Enlightened
I should further specify, I'd prefer a rear thumb type activator, so that rules out something like the nitecore ez123. I found that the olight t20 is another one that looks good to me.

I'd also like something that is big enough to get a good purchase on with my hand, because there is the possibility of the flashlight needing to be used in conjunction with a pistol. So I don't want the keychain size or single cr123 lights.

I'm still curious what the new surefire lx2 has over the pd30, everyone seems pretty excited about it and I don't know enough about the numbers and ratings to see the $100 difference. I do have a lot of trust in surefire gear though...

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm still curious what the new surefire lx2 has over the pd30, everyone seems pretty excited about it and I don't know enough about the numbers and ratings to see the $100 difference. I do have a lot of trust in surefire gear though...

At the very minimum, the LX2 has a better user-interface IMO. Instant access to either high or low--no blinding yourself when you need low and no cycling to high when you just heard a strange noise over by some trees or down an alley.

-Robert

tango44

Enlightened
Hi guys!

First off, great forum here, second I'd appreciate some help deciding on what to replace the e2e I carried for 3 years but managed to lose last week.

From what I've gathered looking through the posts here, flashlights have come a long way in the last few years and now put my 60 lumen incandescent e2e to shame. I'd like it's replacement to be roughly the same size, which as much power and battery life as possible.

I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the information, but the flashlights that have caught my eye the most are the fenix pd30, and the surefire e2dl and lx2. Please let me know what else is out there that would be a good fit, and whether the lx2 for example is worth the extra bill or so over the pd30.

Thanks for the help!

Get yourself a Fenix TK10 great light, 2 levels output, decent runtimes, simple interface, and won´t cost you a fortune like SF. Won´t get any better.

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_85&products_id=517

Centropolis

Enlightened
For EDC, there are so many of them out there that we can provide you with a list that'll be too long to be useful. You would have to give us a few more information.

First off, the battery type....assuming you're sticking with the 2 x CR123 configuration....or atleast CR123s. Personally, I find that 2 x CR123 lights are too big to be EDC.

How would you like to carry your EDC? I would assume your E2E would be clipped on your pants and pocketed. Are you still planning to use this method? Around your neck on a chain maybe? Clip no clip?

For EDCs, in general people prefer more flood than throw. Is this the case with you?

Finally, what's your budget?

Marduke

Flashaholic
At the very minimum, the LX2 has a better user-interface IMO. Instant access to either high or low--no blinding yourself when you need low and no cycling to high when you just heard a strange noise over by some trees or down an alley.

-Robert

The PD30 also has instant access to low and turbo with no cycling to get to either mode. You know which mode the light will be in before you turn it on.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd also like something that is big enough to get a good purchase on with my hand, because there is the possibility of the flashlight needing to be used in conjunction with a pistol. So I don't want the keychain size or single cr123 lights.

What sort of other sizes would you consider? I would like to suggest the Fenix TK40 but that is a huge 8xAA light, but read this review by an LEO before dismissing it.

I was also considering a Jetbeam Jet III M for your use, it runs off a 18650 cell but i think that there is a model that has the option to use either 18650/2xCR123s/2xRCR123s. The Jet III is 2 mode, 1st mode is MAX, the other (entered into by loosening the bezel) is user programmable.

if you want to go get a budget light, which i wouldnt really recommend if you are probably going to use the light in a life or death situation, consider the Romisen RC-N3 II Q5 (the 2 mode version) from www.shiningbeam.com it cost less than $30 to buy and ship to Singapore where i live. The RC-N3 can run off 1xRCR123 or 2xAA, i got a bunch of 16 eneloops in anticipation of getting a TK40 but chickend out as i realised that the TK40 was a want not a need (actually my wife said NO) so i have this bunch of cells looking for homes to hide in.

anyways i would really recommend heading to this link and fill in the information (copy, cut and then paste into your first post on this thread) this will help everyone to understand your needs a bit better.

Hang on to your wallet though :D

computernut

Enlightened
Might I suggest an E2L? You get levels (60/3) with great runtime (11/100). I forget sometimes that it even runs on batteries. It's a little bit longer at 5.4" vs the 4.8" of the E2E you had though but you shouldn't notice it too much depending on how you carry it.

I find that in my daily use that the 50-60 lumens I get from my A2 or E2L is a bit too bright while the low of my E2L is a little bit too low. I also prefer the incan of the A2, so I'm thinking of getting an E2E and putting the low output MN02 bulb in it for 25 lumens. I'll keep the E2L in my EDC bag for emergencies.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the RA Clicky!! For me there is no other equal as a edc light! I like my EDC to be built like a tank, work when it's supposed to be and have a good UI, the RA fits all those and then some!!

Robert_M

Newly Enlightened
For EDC I just switched from my PD20 (carried in its holster on my belt) to my LX2 on July 1st. I've also carried a Z2 and L4 (2003 65 lumen model) in my pants pocket and carried an E1B clipped to my pants pocket. My favorite method of carry is definitely clipped to my pants pocket as this gives me the quickest access ... I don't have to open the velcro on the holster or go digging for the light deep in my pocket. I tried EDC of my PD30, but found it too big to carry in its holster on my belt and still conceal it under my shirt next to my spare magazine and too short to allow quick access while in my pants pocket since it does not have a clip. The LX2 is quick for me to grab with my left hand freeing my right hand to pull my concealed handgun, if that should ever be necessary. The LX2 that I have is significantly brighter than my PD30 according to my light box measurements ... *disclaimer* these measurements on a single LX2 and PD30 are no substitue for real IS measurements of thousands of LX2 and PD30 flashlights to come to any meaningful conclusion for every LX2 and PD30 model flashlight made.

magikbullet

Newly Enlightened
For EDC, there are so many of them out

First off, the battery type....assuming you're sticking with the 2 x CR123 configuration....or atleast CR123s. Personally, I find that 2 x CR123 lights are too big to be EDC.

Yes, I'd like to stick to 2 cell cr123's or possibly the 18650's which I've never used. I like a size that's big enough for a solid one hand grip but not with a really thick bezel I guess. Think e2e size but with maybe an inch leeway in length and only slightly thicker in diameter.

How would you like to carry your EDC? I would assume your E2E would be clipped on your pants and pocketed. Are you still planning to use this method? Around your neck on a chain maybe? Clip no clip?

I usually just have the light in my pocket or cargo pocket. I'd use the clip on the e2e occasionally but I didn't like the bezel up orientation. A lot of these newer lights have the 2 way clip which I think I'll be much happier with. I just realized the pd30 doesn't have a clip which is a bummer...

For EDCs, in general people prefer more flood than throw. Is this the case with you?

I'd like a good mix I guess, but I like more throw. We're talking throw is the sort of the 'length' the light goes and flood is the 'width'? Sorry I'm new. :crazy:

Finally, what's your budget?

I'm willing to pay the bucks for an lx2, but the $ sweetspot is obviously always lower. :D It seems there are a lot of options in the 70$ range.

The options that I've liked the best so far are the fenix pd30 and tk10, the olight t20 tac, the jet III m, and the surefire e2dl and lx2. The tk10 and jet 3m in particular look bigger than what I want to carry. I guess the length cutoff for me is right under 5.4 inches and an inch diam. No bigger than the G2 I've been carrying since I lost the e2e. The width is what bothers me more to pocket carry-thats why even though the lx2 is 5.4" long the inch bezel diameter is just fine. I feel like the pd30 with a 2 way clip would be the bee's knees for me.

Last edited:

AusKipper

Enlightened
The tk10 and jet 3m in particular look bigger than what I want to carry.

I EDC the TK10 and i dont find it too bad really, you will have to take that silly cigar grip thingo off if you want to pocket it though, or it will be digging into your leg the whole time. The TK11 pretty much the same but with more throw and less flood sort of thing. Inside I prefer the 10, outside the 11.

All that said, I bet the PD30 is more pocketable (I dont have one though..) and you probably wouldnt really notice the difference in brightness anyway.

I laugh at the person who suggested a TK40 as EDC :p

I have one, and its a good light now doubt... but WAY to big to be EDCing!!!

recDNA

Flashaholic
I should further specify, I'd prefer a rear thumb type activator, so that rules out something like the nitecore ez123. I found that the olight t20 is another one that looks good to me.

I just ordered a T20-M. Should be in by Monday. I'll let you know how I like it if you haven't chosen by then. I was also looking at the PD30 and the Quark 123-3 (which wasn't in stock when I decided on the Olight)

recDNA

Flashaholic
For EDC I just switched from my PD20 (carried in its holster on my belt) to my LX2 on July 1st. I've also carried a Z2 and L4 (2003 65 lumen model) in my pants pocket and carried an E1B clipped to my pants pocket. My favorite method of carry is definitely clipped to my pants pocket as this gives me the quickest access ... I don't have to open the velcro on the holster or go digging for the light deep in my pocket. I tried EDC of my PD30, but found it too big to carry in its holster on my belt and still conceal it under my shirt next to my spare magazine and too short to allow quick access while in my pants pocket since it does not have a clip. The LX2 is quick for me to grab with my left hand freeing my right hand to pull my concealed handgun, if that should ever be necessary. The LX2 that I have is significantly brighter than my PD30 according to my light box measurements ... *disclaimer* these measurements on a single LX2 and PD30 are no substitue for real IS measurements of thousands of LX2 and PD30 flashlights to come to any meaningful conclusion for every LX2 and PD30 model flashlight made.

Edit - I misread LX2 as LF2XT - der - Surefire is brighter and costs more.

Last edited:

digitaleos

Enlightened
I assume you're using lithium rechargeables in the LX2 to approach the brightness of the PD30? I mean the PD30 is rated as much brighter on every source I've read if you use primaries in both.

What? :rolleyes: Surefire LX2 is rated as a minimum 200 OTF lumens :naughty:while the PD30 is rated at 220 emitter lumens. The Fenix may have what, maybe 170-180 OTF lumens max. :thinking: