SF Paint Job w/ pic's...Thumbs Up-or-Down???

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, some of you may have seen a few of my "camo" paint jobs, but I've been working on perfecting my "Snakeskin" camo pattern...so, what do you think? Thumbs Up...Thumbs Down...constructive criticism welcome...If I get enough "Yea's", I may consider hooking some of my fellow CPF'ers up.

My L5AR-SS "Snake Skin"(KL5A/G2 Body, AN-14 Adapter/B65 Battery)

HPIM0743.jpg

HPIM0747.jpg

VestPics.jpg

I highlighted the logo for Ships and giggles, but would keep it toned down on a tactical version. And the scales look better black than OD, but stand out less, so this one was done more for "Wow Factor".

Here's and older rayovac headlamp I did up in old school tiger stripe...

HPIM0748.jpg

Let me know what ya think, and if there's any interest...I'm also, I think, pretty good at the woodland camo/forest patterns...there's a pic of my G3 floating around somewhere...:popcorn:

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Very original - must have taken you quite a while to do that. Is the finish durable?

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
The snakeskin looks awesome:thumbsup:

Is it durable enough to use on aluminum parts, as well?

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
The snakeskin looks great.

Mac's used the same technique on some of his duracoated hosts, but I like the subtle difference in the colors you used on this one.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
thumbs up for the snakeskin G2.

There were those other members rit-dieing their yellow G2s orange... I have always wondered how difficult it would be to do a "light" die job to an olive G2 and color match it to the C2/M2 bezel. Your color looks very close.

nismotor

Newly Enlightened
Definitely snakeskin!!

It might be the flash that washed it out in the pic, but a lil more contrast would be cool.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the replys, fellow CPF'ers...well, I tried the opposite on my last G2-BK, and the black on top just washes all the green undertone out, so I'll stick to the green and grey scales for now until I can get a lighter OD to make the black scales stand out more...anyways, since yall took time to respond, I'll take the time for a few replys...

Very original - must have taken you quite a while to do that. Is the finish durable?

Thanks DM...it was rather quick...I do alot of re-painting of ordinance, where I get my practice for painting. I EDC'ed it in my BDU pocket (a little softer than jeans)for a few days with my keys, and the underlying scheme seemed to hold up with some surface scratches to the clear coat only. I wouldn't put in my back-pack with lots of bare metal, but it appears to hold up to most day to day abuse. If you drop your C2-HA on the pavement, it will probably get a nick in the finish...same here, only a few more, and deeper nicks, mainly due to the material (nitrolon) giving in more than the aluminum.

Cataract "Looks nice! how well does it resist to scratches?

I made a few abrasions to the clear coat with a finger nail, but they wiped off rather easily...now I'm looking for a tougher clear coat I can bake on in the oven, perhaps???

What you need now is a snakeskin holster for that

I'm not too crazy about real snake skin (or even the appearance...). I just saw a pattern like this on some SOPMOD MICH helmets, and re-invented it...tactical snakeskin if you will???

Is it durable enough to use on aluminum parts, as well?

Not really...it would flake off really easily unless baked on, or a very thick coat of primer...even then, I imagine it would chip off alot easier, as the aluminum has nothing for the paint to grab on too...but a nice clear coat would improve it the chances of keeping it on. Make sure the aluminum is really warm though, and not hot.

There were those other members rit-dieing their yellow G2s orange... I have always wondered how difficult it would be to do a "light" die job to an olive G2 and color match it to the C2/M2 bezel

I've read that thread awhile back...I have never used the rit, but I'm guessing a dark brown/green, or even a dark-blue for a short period of time...it would be nice to have a few G2-OD tail caps to experiment on til you get the right combination...The pattern I used blends in real well with the HA on my KL5A though.

It might be the flash that washed it out in the pic, but a lil more contrast would be cool.

Yeah, definetily...I'm gonna look for something close to a coyote brown (USMC WCU/DCU)...I wanna try to stay with mil-spec colors, but I think a lighter color would definitely help the "pattern" (in black) to stand out more, and increase the "effectiveness" of the camouflage.

Thanks again for all the replies...this week-end, I'm gonna try to do a nice tiger stripe on my G3-BK (minus bezel...for now), and see how it turns out. I'll post some pic's when I'm done.

If you have a G2 (or any nitrolon) body laying around, and would like to get it "done-up", just shoot me a PM...all the materials would be free.

Last edited:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally think that it would look a little better with more contrast, so one can see the pattern more easily.

Patriot

Flashaholic
That snakeskin version could persuade me to buy a plastic SF! Seriously sharp looking especially with that head. WOW! :eek:oo: