Solarforce LT1 Lantern Review

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would be better if your site didn't attempt to open pop-up windows.

Might be worth warning people about this when posting the link.

?????????? :caution:

I don't get pop-ups !

I run Google Chrome , and no pop-ups .. Sorry , but do people still use IE ?

Seriously though , if your going to begrudge a free web host for advertising then it might be best if you configure your browser not to allow pop ups and that way you wont feel the need to complain about it .

Last edited:

Tony Hanna

Newly Enlightened
So the bezel looking thing on top is actually part of the lantern?:( I had assumed that the top of the lantern was threaded so that you could screw the bezel from the light onto it to keep it from getting lost.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the bezel looking thing on top is actually part of the lantern?:( I had assumed that the top of the lantern was threaded so that you could screw the bezel from the light onto it to keep it from getting lost.

SNAP! :crackup:

Your 100% right ..... Some one give that man a cigar! ;) I've got some fixin to do !
Never even considered it as I didnt need that bezel , so now I have 1 bezel too many , Ill need a L2 body for it !

:candle:

Last edited:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
. . . wont feel the need to complain about it
Fair enough, apologies if I sounded a bit grumpy . . . but you did ask if the link was OK.

It's all right because my browser is set up to block pop-ups (and to warn me if a site is trying to do it). But just in case someone hasn't, it would be nice to know in advance, that's all.

apontes

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review. Very interesting. :wave:

I had considered the setup, but had doubts about how useful the combination would be, runtime-wise.

strinq

Enlightened
Why would this be as good as a conventional lantern built to be a lantern? I have small lanterns and big lanterns. They have fluorescent bulbs and appear better suited for this purpose. I think it would be worth the extra effort to carry an actual lantern.

This is small, bright enough and definately less weight to carry. All u need is spare batts.
But to each his own i guess.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. Very interesting. :wave:

I had considered the setup, but had doubts about how useful the combination would be, runtime-wise.

Depending on your pill , and the current draw in each mode , ??

My pill draws 100mA on Lo , so with a 2000mAh 18650 would give around 20 hours of use .

A mini L2 would very much depend on the pill used , but again with the one I used , 100mA would return around 5 hours with a RCR123A ...

I didn't use one of my SSC P7 pills , but they do push out more light , and the new XPE Pills also draw less current , so the right pill + battery combination could return as much as 3 hours on high , just depends on how you set up the combo . I only have 12 P60 drop ins to chose from , Luxeon K2 TFFC all the way up to SSC P7 / MC-E , so for me its one heck of a plaything .

I just advise everyone to shop carefully as the prices vary quite a lot .

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fair enough, apologies if I sounded a bit grumpy . . . but you did ask if the link was OK.

It's all right because my browser is set up to block pop-ups (and to warn me if a site is trying to do it). But just in case someone hasn't, it would be nice to know in advance, that's all.

Naa , Usually these reviews are posted in the forum , with pictures linked from a picture host ...

I was just asking if it was ok to link to a web rather than posting in the forum .
So if I was a little short with you , I also apologize .

Matt

recDNA

Flashaholic
This is small, bright enough and definately less weight to carry. All u need is spare batts.
But to each his own i guess.

Not really if you carry a pocket sized flashlight like the PD30 or the Quark 123-2 and a small flourescent lantern.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lantern + L2M = Small / Combine with XPE Pill and you have low current draw .

Fits in a old ammo pouch with room to spare , I never did like back packs , and stuffing a Maglite in there ? forget it ..

Gee I like Cree ! And I do like this lantern , not because its good , or small , or well made , or effective for its size , but because its powered by a flashlight and so makes for a very nice companion piece .
:wave:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Old 4570, you have my permission to upgrade your lantern carrier. :crackup:

I have this lantern head adapter and its great. first off I can put a whole range of Solarforce attachments to it. So not only can I attach the lamp, but the colored filters as well. With a low powered module and a red filter makes for a nice short range lantern. But I can put in a 500 lumen Malkoff MC-E in there as well and have nice bright mega lantern. It attaches to the Solarforce Hosts that take extensions and the larger diameter 18650 batteries so I can go from 1 18650, 1 17670 to 2 or 3 18650's for longer run time with some of my modules and its still weighs a lot less and is much safer than carrying a propane lantern.

Plussssssssssssssssssssssssssssss, It will take the Uniq Continuously variable tailcap on the back of the Solarforce Lanterns with or without extensions and with my Malkoff Modules, now I have fully adjustable brightness. This is really ssssssssswwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeet.

I made a glow in the dark hanging cord for it and can hang it up wherever needed. There is no fluorescent lantern in this size package that will put out 500 lumens into a 360 degree head. Nor any that had continuously available brightness. The amber filter makes a good anti bug lantern.

I am going to set it up in the top secret shed of truth tonight now that you reminded me. :grin2:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm , yes , a 1980's or 90's ammo pouch might be much nicer ..

I think one is a 1960's M14 ammo pouch , the other possibly a early m16 ammo pouch ... Yes a 1980 or 90 model ...

:tinfoil:

Tony Hanna

Newly Enlightened
SNAP! :crackup:

Your 100% right ..... Some one give that man a cigar! ;) I've got some fixin to do !
Never even considered it as I didnt need that bezel , so now I have 1 bezel too many , Ill need a L2 body for it !

:candle:

Cool! I'm glad that's the case. One of the first things I thought when I saw a picture of the lantern was "neat, they give you a place to store the bezel".:) On a side note, the lantern looks nice with the stainless bezel on it! I'm going to have to pick one up eventually. I don't do much in the way of camping but it looks like it would be really handy to have during a power outage. I can see using my old Dietz barn lantern for background illumination and the Solarforce for when I really need to see (food prep, reading, etc).

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a quick question.. I was wondering how to take just the bezel off of my L2..
Thanks

I usually use a tea Towel / jumper and place my fingers between the groves of the bezel and twist off ..

If its on super tight , maybe jam the bezel into some old carpet for grip and then twist off ...

If you have the recessed steel bezel , then some flat steel that would engage top and bottom groves in the bezel ..
You would probably have to make that , or use needle nose pliers - carefully .

Last edited: