Has the Coleman 2AA been fixed yet?

LEDrock

Enlightened
I've seen the Coleman 2AA 115 lumen in Walmart for the longest time now and it would be my choice as my next light, but I've heard so much here on another thread about how the switch is bad and causes so many reliability problems and causes flickering. So I've stayed away from it.

Has this issue been resolved yet? If so, is there a way to tell the older ones from the newer ones (before I buy it)?

My current "brightest light" is a 2AA River Rock that puts out 40 lumens in a tight beam, so the coleman would be a serious upgrade!

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
You really might want to consider ordering something from one of the sponsoring vendors here instead of buying at brick and mortar stores.

For $38 minus the CPF discount, free shipping, and no sales tax from fenix-store, you could get something like the Fenix E20 and have 109 lumens in a higher quality light with a lifetime warranty.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
has it been broken??????
i have coleman max 115lu, thou mine is cr2. i have it for few years, quality is superb, not any worst than sf or others high quality lights, switch works great, beam is great, i can't find a single reason to complain about it.
2aa looks exactly the same as mine but with longer body,
and yes i bought it at walmart, which i also see no problem buying from, why do some ppl think if you buy something at wallmart it is automaticly crap???
how is the same light bought over the net is any better than the same light sold at walmart??

Marduke

Flashaholic
He said to get a different light over the net, not the Coleman.

Although it's a decent light for the price, there are many others which represent a better value. Especially with better quality, form, and function.

LEDrock

Enlightened
You really might want to consider ordering something from one of the sponsoring vendors here instead of buying at brick and mortar stores.

For $38 minus the CPF discount, free shipping, and no sales tax from fenix-store, you could get something like the Fenix E20 and have 109 lumens in a higher quality light with a lifetime warranty.

Well, first I don't have a credit card to do business online. Plus, I don't like dealing through the mail. Also, I've heard about plenty of problems people have had with the more expensive lights, and I actually find it hard to justify spending even $25 on a light, let alone $38 or more.

To answer questions about what is wrong with the Coleman quality wise--I have read on other threads that the switch had a big problem and caused alot of flickering. I also heard that it got corrected and I was wondering if there was a way to know before buying one if I'm getting a "corrected" one, or if I'm getting one that's been sitting on the store shelf since the "bad old days". Everytime I look at what they have at Walmart, they always have the exact same number (4). It leads me to think they are the same ones each time.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, imo those with problems were pbly defective one, or may be the whole batch,
my advice buy one afaik walmart has great return policy, i've only returned things there few times, but i had no problems, cs seemed very polite and couldn't care less why i brought things back, they gave me refund with no question asked.

ColoradoStoneman

Newly Enlightened
I have a Coleman 2AA, and have no problems with the switch. It has a decent beam, but the 115 Lumen rating is a bit high. Comparing to my Fenix lights it is close to the PD30 on med (70 lumens) and the LD01 on high (80 lemens). In reality the Coleman is probably around 75 chinese lumens.

That isn't bad, but the Fenix E20 though rated at 109 lumens is brighter. At $35 dollars the E20 is a great light.

But I understand the convenience factor, and picked up my Coleman at Wally World to put in the Jeep as a backup. It is probably the best $25 small LED you will find at a local store. Is the E20 worth another $10? I think so, but then buying the Coleman while at Walmart was quick.

It's really strange, but other then Surefire, most lights at the local stores aren't so hot. The Coleman was actualy a suprise.

burntoshine

Enlightened
Well, first I don't have a credit card to do business online. Plus, I don't like dealing through the mail. Also, I've heard about plenty of problems people have had with the more expensive lights, and I actually find it hard to justify spending even $25 on a light, let alone $38 or more.

no credit card? $25 too much for a flashlight?

sounds like someone's at the earliest stages of flashaholism. earlier than i've ever seen. ...hasn't even reached the denial stage.

LEDrock

Enlightened
no credit card? $25 too much for a flashlight?

sounds like someone's at the earliest stages of flashaholism. earlier than i've ever seen. ...hasn't even reached the denial stage.

Haha! Well, I do currently have 15 different lights, but none above $10 (really!). The 2AA River Rock was normally $20, but I got it on clearance at Target for $10.

I still check out the flashlight isles in the stores hoping to see something new, so I guess I'm sort of a flashoholic, but I'm also a cheapskate! :p

Marduke

Flashaholic
Just think if you would have saved up the money you spent on those 15 lights and bought maybe two really nice ones.

loanshark

Enlightened
One tk20 is worth more than your whole collection, yet would have cost less... Your not really saving money. :devil:

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Short of their lanterns and stoves, there isn't anything from Coleman that would even qualify as a reject from a Chinese factory.