New flashlights over 700 lumens ?

DocD

Enlightened
HI, as the new super bright leds namely the P7 and MCE it's just how the main line flashlight makers have miss the boat and then the poor quality of the flashlight they offered
i see people send there hard earned money, only to sell these flashlights weeks later some times at a loss? two come to mind and well know brand and a high end custom builder who's past two offerings have had issues
yet single high end custom flashlight builders have enjoyed great success with both led's
so here's my point of discusion?
WHY?
cheers DocD

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh? What exactly are you asking? Are you asking if there are any good multi die lights, or are you asking why there aren't any? There are plenty of good multi-die lights out there right now...

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because ....they expect 700 lumens only to get 350 lumens.:whistle:

No seriously; what was the question:nana:

DocD

Enlightened
hi if you read my first post, i'm asking why the main stream miss the boat and then offered such poor flashlights that CPF members sold them only a few weeks later ?
i'm not asking for info on what people think is a good flashlight
more people thoughts on why the main stream got it so wrong and high end custom builders got it so right?
cheers DocD

kramer5150

Flashaholic
OK... I'll take a stab at this specimin....

Q: I'm asking why the main stream miss the boat and then offered such poor flashlights that CPF members sold them only a few weeks later ?

A: I dont think mainstream Fenix, Olight, Surefire, Jetbeam (etc) miss the boat at all. They all offer great products for the $$$. CPF members may sell them for any reason under the sun.

Q: why the main stream got it so wrong and high end custom builders got it so right?

A: Custom builders design to specific customer requirements so, provided they can execute to the customer expectation the customer will be happy and the builder "got it so right". FWIW there are just as many custom one-offs for sale as there are main stream. Surf the marketplace and the custom B/S/T sub forum... you can find equal examples of both.

I think you are wrong in assuming the number of items sold equals the overall amount of dissatisfaction.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi if you read my first post, i'm asking why the main stream miss the boat and then offered such poor flashlights that CPF members sold them only a few weeks later ?
i'm not asking for info on what people think is a good flashlight
more people thoughts on why the main stream got it so wrong and high end custom builders got it so right?
cheers DocD

I think custom builders put attention to detail like heatsinking and the handmade detail needed to get these P7 or MC-E's to trully make 700 plus lumens.

It seems that mass produced inexpensive (DX and KD) P7/MC-E lights just don't provide the lumens and are usually direct drive without adequate heatsinks. Even with adequate heatsinks, the mass produced ones IMHO forget to account for fine details like battery sag. I have seen the MTE P7 double in lumens at MrGman's by using an IMR 18650 vs. a Trustfire 18650. In fact, my P7 from Ebay came with a Trustfire too and it wasn't till I joined this forum that I learned about IMR cells and how NiMH Cells rock with high current.

Last edited:

Bushman5

Enlightened
maybe they sell them because they got burned, expecting 700 lumens and only getting 400 or so.....

again, a pet peeve of mine, is false advertising......I expect to get what i paid for, aka 700 lumens.

:thumbsdow

allburger

Enlightened
CPF is what we could call, a "Niche Market." The general market does not demand 700 lumen flashlights. When there is no demand, there is no supply.

I think that people on cpf like playing with different lights frequently. The general public will buy a rayovac LED and think its the greatest thing ever. We tend to buy and sell light quite frequently. One of the great things about this community is that it builds value to custom and production lights that would otherwise not exist. Example: I can not sell my 1D maglite P7 mod locally. It holds no value. We have the ability to buy a DX P7 something or another, play with it for a month, and sell it for 75% or better. That means that it costs us $10 to experience a high output light.

DocD

Enlightened
Those reply are great, just to step back just a little and think about why a lot of people spent money on the MTE P7 a good flashlight for the money, and i have one too and then complained about the output:grin2:
it,s more what you guys and girls think about why the main steam took so long to catch up with use the P7 and MCE and why the offerings were lets say weak
1 If the cream of flashlight buyers/users are here then why did they sell?
2 and why one high end flashlight builder who miss the target too ?
as i have seen many of the 2nd flashlight for sale and orders cancelled?
i understand the downturn has made people sell flashlights they would like to keep, some times custom and mainstream.
Cheers DocD

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those reply are great, just to step back just a little and think about why a lot of people spent money on the MTE P7 a good flashlight for the money, and i have one too and then complained about the output:grin2:
it,s more what you guys and girls think about why the main steam took so long to catch up with use the P7 and MCE and why the offerings were lets say weak
1 If the cream of flashlight buyers/users are here then why did they sell?
2 and why one high end flashlight builder who miss the target too ?
as i have seen many of the 2nd flashlight for sale and orders cancelled?
i understand the downturn has made people sell flashlights they would like to keep, some times custom and mainstream.
Cheers DocD

The reason people complained about the MTE P7 is because they ran the stock battery or a laptop surplus battery. Below are the real IS Sphere lumen readings of the MTE with an IMR 18650 cell, without the IMR cell you get almost half the lumens. I think the average person wouldn't know about IMR cells to fully see the potential of the MTE P7. I think it is the best bang for the buck and if I hadn't been burned time and time again with DX or Ebay P7 lights I would purchase the MTE too.

MTE SSC P7___________,__1-IMR 18650,_____________________478.5__,___3 sec_______,
MTE SSC P7___________,__1-IMR 18650,_____________________416.8__,__30 sec_______,
MTE SSC P7___________,__1-IMR 18650,_____________________471.0__,__60 sec_______,
MTE SSC P7___________,__1-IMR 18650,_____________________467.3__,_120 sec_______,
MTE SSC P7___________,__1-IMR 18650,_____________________422.4__,_180 sec_______,
MTE SSC P7___________,__1-IMR 18650,_____________________390.7__,_240 sec_______,

readings done by MrGman and listed in his sticky on post #3.

Last edited:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
The vast majority of the general flashlight market (I believe) are not going to use Li-ion rechargeable cells. The CR123 lights are already "specialized" enough to be somewhat of a niche market with only outdoors stores selling some of them in North America, and hardware stores have maybe a G2.

So to the valid point of bigchelis - not only do you have to go to Li-ion - you may need to go a step further (or more up to date) and get IMRs.

As to lights selling - I've sold ALOT of very nice lights. In general I like to have a lanyard attachment - if the light doesn't have it I may still buy it, but I will probably sell it in 2 or 3 months.

Illum

Flashaholic
I don't see your question but I do have three explanations either of which or in combination may answer your question. Note that theres an increase in the level of complexities as you go down the list, I apologize for the long letter, I do not have the time to write a short one. :p

Explanation 1:
This is the same question one would ask in the luxeon era why single watt lights were marketed as 7 watters yes? they call it 700lumen when in reality they may not peak 100 lumen?

Its just marketing...as with runtimes also. Its best to read reviews before buying a light nowadays, same with big things like cars, planes, boats, and small things like rubbers

Explanation 2:
Many here [me included] have impulse buys on occasion, who would also understand that in such a competitive marketing selling MSRP prices on CpFM is shooting yourself in the foot, so in exchange for speed some prices are marked lower?

It could also be a marketing issue. bladeheads here know that there's no perfect knife that works for every task, same goes with flashlights. While the ads may be very convincing once you as a end user starts using it then it becomes very clear whether or not it is suited for the application you have in mind.

Custom builders do one of two things
1: Building to spec customized by the buyer, often to ensure that the light will perform exactly as the buyer expects
2: Making limited runs, when quantity drops, prices increase sharply, naturally to compensate for the troubles in manufacturing.

Before we became enlightened folks we lived in perpetual darkness welding our feeble solitaires and minimags in the night. At that time I'm not someone who would prioritize funds on flashlights, therefore my limits were in the $20s...at max $40. Over time, [2-3 years] I began to realize that $40 is really a lowest limit to buy a decent light. :D
No matter how long I've been exposed to the increasing prices for lights though, anything over $300 is still too much to bear, hence any light I've managed to acquire valued over $300 has a tendency to be kept while other...more fluidly priced lights...have been sold. Same goes for certain custom lights such as McGizmo's lights, Muyshondt's lights, Milkys, etc...with the exception of people like donn_ who I guess is profit-motivated enough to open sell threads for rare lights alone. In this economy though, such acts should be strictly for either the foolish or the brave:whistle:

Now before we consider the success of custom modders we have to establish a center line here, the concept is arbitrary, but it should clarify certain things for easier identification. If a product was a success, then chances are it would not have changed hands until the product can no longer guarantee its functionality and is therefore discarded or sold by salvage/scrap value. There are custom lights bought and sold everyday in the forum, though not many is posted in CPFM, there is a reason to this. Before CPFM was split to separate servers from CPF, the customs BST subforum had already been established, and most of the custom BSTs are done outside of CPFM's parameters.

If custom lights were sold, it must mean that the custom builders have failed in some way that resulted in the light being sold? right? If you agreed to this statement then your opinion now contradicted to your question:)

Explanation 3:
Your wondering why the newest products are MCE/P7 based while lights still use the single die LEDs such as the N2, P4, Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5, R2 binned and wonder why companies just can't use the newest available LED and be done with it?
There's a couple reasons to this

• Factory turn-around time as an element is proportional to the magnitude of your manufacturing plant, especially if its a horizontal integration complex.
    • When an LED enters the plant, it must first be evaluated through R&D, which could take days to determine the impact of a change. [Does the circuit have to be redone? Is the reflector incompatible? Cost analysis indicates any unwanted manufacturing costs? etc]
  • Differing Company objectives
    • Something that is the newest doesn't mean its the most stable variety, especially when your considering an assembly line worth of rejects if a flaw was found with the LED/mounting-fabrication process after the go for production.
    • LEDs typically follow the elliptical curve of technological progression, to some point companies have to set a baseline instead of chasing after the newest all the time.
      • Constantly chasing the newest would be the same as the way our community college changes software. It takes Autocad 9 months to produce a new version of software but it takes the bookstore [another department] nearly 15 months to ship in the textbooks for the next version. On such a progressive curve you won't get anything done and stockpile your inventory room with a bunch of incompatible parts.
  • Some LEDs just aren't compatible
    • To an extent, we must observe the fact that while the cellphone technology has progressed to the point where computers are no longer necessary on business trips and that we are able to crank out alot of lumens from current technology flashlights the batteries we use have hardly progressed at all [use increased in variety].
    • Using LEDs designed for fixed lighting in flashlights could pose as hazards and certain companies either do not have the available budgets for in depth R&D or to afford such liabilities it may not be in the best interests for them to change.
      • Such is the case with Princeton Tec, Streamlight, etc.
      • Companies big or small progress at differing paces, plus the design philosophy of the innovative Fenix is not necessarily the same as the conservative Maglite, so you can't expect all companies to use the same at any given time.

Define "poor quality"
Whether a light's "quality" is poor depends on the preset standards of the individual who buys the light. Quality is relative, only that we have become assertive through exposure to variety that we have set ourselves a benchmark and considered lights to be good or bad. Ever since the introduction of the first 5mm LED light I haven't seen a light that's necessarily of poor quality, just poor quality to my standards, a standard that could differ in a survery group of 100 yielding 100 possible opinions each differing from another.

As to why lights are bought then immediately sold itself has no singular, definite reason. Its partially based on the individuals changing ideals, or something she/he saw after the light was purchased that made her/him change a new one. Many of us even began hoarding lights that looked exactly the same [DM51, Bawko...]. At best I can only categorize it as the NY-stock-exchange complex, where shares are bought and sold at a heartbeat, while others are hoarded and sometimes kept to the next generation.

I hope at least one of those explanations would have helped, but if not...let me know :thanks:

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think (not wanting to knock on You, btw.) it is just because You - and most ppl You talk for - just are not long enough into lights to understand the price<->value ratio.

Take single die lights:
Fenix (imho MAIN "inventor" for the public), Jetbeam, Olight (I have none), Inova, ..., cost about the magical amount of 50,--.
Given what they offer - good machining, good parts, good electronics, good mounting and good quality control - these 50,-- were simply unbelievable when they started. Most "better" makers that time offered (almost) the same for 100+ or even much more.

Now when cheaper deals are 20,-- and such: the cost of parts alone does not cover that!,
so everything has to be made in lesser quality and thats what one gets.

Take quad-dies:
there are 2 atm I would consider buying: Fenix TK40 and Jetbeam M1X.
Both cost some 130,-- (?), both are worth that - if they are made with the same quality as the lights of these makers I own - and I would expect to get this quality.

From the cheaper shops, similar looking lights cost about 50,--, which is - again - less than parts and labour together can cost.
(but I would hope for the MC-E/P7 lights at 80,-- to be a bit better and to work)

It is the same as with ones main topic of interest: there are things one accepts to buy, because one knows they are worth it, and there are cheapo offers that are ridiculous junk. Something the "beginners" use.
The problem is being able to evaluate price<->value ratio, which comes from longtime use only (and from having seen failures of cheaply made parts).

... You get what You pay for

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P7/MCE lights are floody compared to single die lights.
Many people buy them expecting the hotspot to be 4X brighter than the single die lights.
Wrong!
Hotspot 2X wider (4X area) same brightness.
So they sell the battery draining P7/MCE and keep the P4/XRE lights. The less than 1 hour runtime on 1*18650 battery is not sufficient for long walks.

lolzertank

Enlightened
We like to "rent" new things to play with. :) With high end flashlights, not only is the lumen output and runtime important, but other factors come in to play like the UI, size, machining quality and beam pattern. Manufacturers might list the UI, but you'll never know what its exactly like until you actually try it.

Illum

Flashaholic
We like to "rent" new things to play with. :) With high end flashlights, not only is the lumen output and runtime important, but other factors come in to play like the UI, size, machining quality and beam pattern. Manufacturers might list the UI, but you'll never know what its exactly like until you actually try it.

reminds me of picking out fruit...kinda have it give it a squeeze, a rub, weigh it, smell it...etc

Last edited: