Which Light for Police Work

Warbird

Newly Enlightened
I gave my son a Surefire G2Z and he loves it. He is going to work for a security company as an armed security officer in patrolling a housing project.

He and I went to a couple of uniform stores to pick up his uniform. The stores were selling Rechargeable Streamlight flashlights. I looked at the power that they put out and the XT HP put out 40,000 candlepower. I tried it out by shining it against a wall and it didn't seem that bright.

Could someone tell me how many Lumens is 40,000 Candlepower. I know the G2Z is 65 Lumens and seems to be brighter than the Streamlight with 40,000. Is the XT Hp more for distance?

How does the 9 AN Surefire work out in Police work?

Thanks
Jim

Size15's

Flashaholic
I am not a Police Officer and have never been one so I do not speak from experience of duty use of light.

However, the larger diameter reflector flashlights such as the SureFire TurboHeads and the Streamlight "HP" models are intended for longer range illumination and are difficult to compare at close range.

The 9AN is SureFire's main duty light and if I was a Police Officer I would carry a 9AN with KT3 TurboHead bezel.

Many American LEO use the Streamlight Stinger and SL20X models.

The TigerLight models are certainly worth considering.

Al

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well......Where are the projects?

This could be a HUGE topic...I'll try to narrow it down...

1. I use a XT on duty everynight, and love it. It hase good throw, it's very durable, and it's rechargeable. The newer Stingers now feature a stipled reflector which provides a very uniform beam, even when using the focusing capabilities. Belt holders are readily available.

2. The G2Z is an excellent lithium powered light. It doesn't have the throw of the XT, but it has a much wider flood like output. I wouldn't suggest the HOLA (P61) because it sucks too much battery power versus the light output. The only holder available for the G2Z is the plastic one from SF, and I think they're junk...

Which one is better? That's more upto personal preference.

With lithium batteries becoming so cheap, they are becoming a non-issue in a choice like this.

I prefer the XT for its durability, ease of use, it's rechargeable, and personal brand preference. In the area I work, it's almost exclusively residential hotels and high rise projects (H.U.D. properties) with no long range needs in a light, and the XT has fulfilled its roll fine.

He already has a G2Z, adding a XT would be an excellent combo of primary/back-up lighting.

I think I just rambled too much...gotta love that DayQuil!

--dan

Dave_in_PA

Newly Enlightened
I have used my 6P since 1988 and still use it every shift. We are issued a Streamlight 20X, so I haven't purchased my own rechargeable light. The plastic version is also a possibility to save weight, but you lose some "impact" if the light is needed for a field expedient "persuasion tool".

Dave

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to use the Surefire 8nX.
On duty now I use the PILA GL4
The Streamlight Stinger HP is more than adequate for on duty use , it can be carried on the belt easily.
If he's going to be working the night shift rechargeables are the way to go.
I carry the Streamlight Ultrastinger in the car as a supplement. In my battle bag I have a G2Z and PILA G2 as back ups in the event I break a light or need one for some other reason. I also carry spare lamps and batteries as well as a car charger for each light.

I think the Stramlights are are decent lights . I don't have a tigerlight so I can not comment on them.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can't really convert candlepower to lumens. Candlepower measures how bright the light is, usually at the very center of the beam. Lumens measures the overall output.

bwcaw

Enlightened
Never being a LEO, I wouldn't know what a duty light would need to be like, but I have both the Streamlight Ultrastinger, and Tigerlight FBOP, and would definately reccomend them both. I personally prefer the Tigerlight because of it's slightly brighter beam, compact size and the HA type III finish, but I have had the Ultrastinger a lot longer(about two years) and have never had to replace a lamp, and I have dropped it multiple times on crushed rock and cement, and I even threw it at a fence once and it bounced off and lit in a pile of stones. It still works fine. I would also double as a light club in an emergency! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have seen (and compared) the streamlight SL20 and Stinger to the Ultrastinger, and the sl20 is beaten by the ultrastinger in both light output, and throw.

IHMO the Tigerlight with the pepper spray, or the Streamlight Ultrastinger would both be excellent lights for a night shift leo. My $0.02 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ReconTech

Newly Enlightened
I currently carry a Stinger on my duty belt (I work night shift for a local police dept.)

in my bag is a ultrastinger, and an M2. Depending on what I'm doing, like a open door alarm call, the M2 comes out so I can hold it and my gun at the same time, very well...

But the stinger is awesome, never failed me yet. For my M2 I also have 24 batteries and two lamp assemblies in the car.

The ultrastinger is great for long range lighting....

Also note the M2 will go with me into a pool or lake, its waterproof, whereas the stinger is not. And yes, I have seen cops do both (pool, lake, ocean, river, you name it)

N162E

Enlightened
Does the company your son is going to work for supply batteries and bulbs!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Friend has a Stinger HP, and it is a very nice light.

Nice combination of brightness vs small size.

Nice thing about a rechargable is that it is always ready to go, you never have to wonder, Well, should I change the batteries. As long as it gets to rest in the charger, it is fully charged.