Olight M30 questions

moerush04

Newly Enlightened
Ok, So I just got my Triton in and I have a few questions;

I am currently using three AW RCR123 batteries. They are 3.7 volts. However I notice in the review that the light does not last long on high mode with only three. Will I damage the light if I use four of the 3.7V AW RCR123's with the extender tube?

Second, which battery conbination produce the best brightness? (No ragard to runtime) The 123's 18650 etc.?

Thirdly I have noticed some members mention a slight buzzing sound. I noticed that too coming from the tail cap. I figured it is from the PWM mentioned in the review by Selfbuilt. As I side note the only way I can tell that it is a pulsing (might be the incorrect term) light is by shining it at a running fan and seeing the blades as if they are standing stock still. I want to know if it is symptom of a defective light, if it will shorten its life, or if it is normal.

Thanks for the advise. I was very pleased to come across this website as it has many passionate members and contributers. I am a newborn flashaholic.
lovecpf

Dan

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the best combination is two 18500's, that way you don't need the extension tube and it will have better runtime than 3 RCR123's.

The buzzing etc is normal, mine does it, and I don't even realise anymore!

Read through this thread for runtimes and further information, there is alot there!

HKJ

Flashaholic
Ok, So I just got my Triton in and I have a few questions;

I am currently using three AW RCR123 batteries. They are 3.7 volts. However I notice in the review that the light does not last long on high mode with only three. Will I damage the light if I use four of the 3.7V AW RCR123's with the extender tube?

Second, which battery conbination produce the best brightness? (No ragard to runtime) The 123's 18650 etc.?

LiIon is not 3.7 volt, they start at 4.2 volt and the light can not take the voltage from 4 fully charged LiIon. Use 2x18500 or 2x18650 instead.

The light is regulated and all combinations has the same brightness, at least with fresh batteries, but check Selfbuilds review.

moerush04

Newly Enlightened
the light can not take the voltage from 4 fully charged LiIon.

So if I try and use 4 CR123's I will damage the light? I read on some other threads that it is ok to use 4 CR123's.

HKJ

Flashaholic
So if I try and use 4 CR123's I will damage the light? I read on some other threads that it is ok to use 4 CR123's.

The voltage from lithium is not as high as LiIon. Lithium is 3 volt for a cell, LiIon is 4.2 volt for a cell.
I did these pictures for my Danish review, to show legal battery configurations:
DSC_4843.jpg
DSC_4438.jpg

frank13

Newly Enlightened
I find the best combination is two 18500's, that way you don't need the extension tube and it will have better runtime than 3 RCR123's.

The buzzing etc is normal, mine does it, and I don't even realise anymore!

Read through this thread for runtimes and further information, there is alot there!

Do 2x18500 provide the longest runtime??? I got my new M30 yesterday.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
No the 18650's do, at approx. 1hr 29min to 50% as shown in selfbuilt's review.
18500's offer approx. 1hr 6min to 50%

So 23min difference to 50%

The advantage of the 18500's is the smaller size, yet they still offer great runtime.

Check out his review, there are plenty of graphs!

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

wirehair

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I to just got my M30. To me flickering is bad on low and med, on hi it seems fine. I also got a AW 139 charger and 2 sets of 18500 batteries, but the longest run time I have been able to get is 30 min on Hi with these. Realy dissapointing!:thumbsdow

wirehair

Newly Enlightened
Hi, not sure, I think there might be a problem with the charger but the supplier wants me to mail it back to the USA. I costed it out at $30 NZ, there is no way Im paying that much to send a $14 US charger back but I cant bye one here in New Zealand. So not able to use my new M30 at the moment:shakehead. By the way primeries are out to, they sell for $15 each over here.

Milly

Newly Enlightened
4PCS CR123a can be used for it and won't damage the light but 4pcs RCR123A may damage the light.:wave:. Olight told 4pcs RCR123a cann't be used for it.

moerush04

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the kind replies. I am extremely pleased with this light. Rarely does it leave my side. I do not know how I went this long without my handy dandy flashlight. Without your replies I might have burned it up.

mpkav

Newly Enlightened
I use 1 18500s and it works well for me. I have had 2 M30s and the both have had the buzzing, it's normal. Congrats on the new light!!!