Fenix Flashlite allowing use of rechargeable batteries

Hazzgard

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody,

I already posted a long time ago and finally bought a Fenix P1D. I'm really happy with this flashlite because it fits my needs (small but powerfull bright light). The only negative point is that I cannot use rechargeable batteries in my P1D (maybe it has change now). I'm looking for two additional flashlights (preferably fenix as I own already one, but onther manufacturers are welcome too), one as small as P1D so I was wondering about PD20 (love to have finally a button to switch modes!!), and the second more like the TK11R2 to keep it at house. The only point is to be able to use rechargeable batteries in it.

Hope you could help me.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDIT: My apologies, i completely missed the bit where you asked for specific FENIX lights, i was widening your search criteria. Sorry again.

Ok, Fenix lights that can use rechargables:-

Fenix LD01: can use NIMHs but use 10440s for oomph! runtime is less on 10440 though. Has 3 modes med-lo-hi

Fenix TA30: can use 2x14500, 3xRCR123s, 2x17500, runtime on the Fenix site is for 3xCR123 primaries, 4 modes, lo-med-hi-strobe controlled by a rotary control ring.

Fenix PD20: site states no using of RCR123

Fenix PD30: site is silent on use of RCR123, reasearch required

Fenix TK11 R2: can use either RCR123s or 18650s

Fenix TA20: can use 2xRCR123s

Fenix TA21: can use 2xRCR123s or 1x18650

and last but not least

Fenix TK40, runs on 8xAA rechargables or primaries but in a pinch you can use 4xAAs, 630 lumens,

2 Modes, 8 Total Outputs
  • Primary Modes (in order)
    • Turbo - 630 Lumens, 1 Hour
    • Low - 13 Lumens, 130 Hours
    • Medium - 93 Lumens, 11 Hours
    • High - 277 Lumens, 4.5 Hours
  • Strobe Modes (in order)
    • Strobe
    • Slow Flash
    • SOS
    • Fast Flash

But why restrict yourself to Fenix? They're great lights but there's a lot of choices out there. So read the rest of my initial mistaken post and have a great time here on CPF.

End of Edit
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Initial post where i missed the word 'Fenix' duh! must be the damned flu meds i'm on

HI there and :welcome:

what sort of cells do you want to use? how much do you wanta spend or NOT spend? what are u going to use the lights for? and etc etc ad infinitum ad nauseam

The sky can literally be the limit here, there are some great budget lights, Romisen is one and a whole load of others, titanium builds, custom builds, you know sorta the hot rods of flashlights and a whole load of bling.

Hop on over to THIS LINK, cut, copy, fill out and edit your first post to give us as complete an idea of what sort of light you would like and THEN sit back and let the recommendations roll on in.

Alternatively, you can head to this great light review site and read up, click on 'reviews' and you can sort the lights by cell type and then sub-sort into highest lux rating, best rating etc.

Have fun and hang on to your wallet. Oh, and feel free to ask for help, this is a lovely forum, just be polite!!! :D

Last edited:

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
for 1 x CR123A flashlight, you should check out the "goto review" from selfbuilt 1xCR123A/RCR Round-up Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, & more!

for your second light using 1 x 18650 rechargeable, TK11R2 is a good choice. Some comparable flashlights:
- Olight M20 Premium R2
- JetBeam Jet III M
- EagleTac T10L2, T100C2
- Quark 123²
and of course, not forgetting others from Dereelight and Wolf-eyes ;)

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
for 1 x CR123A flashlight, you should check out the "goto review" from selfbuilt 1xCR123A/RCR Round-up Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, & more!

for your second light using 1 x 18650 rechargeable, TK11R2 is a good choice. Some comparable flashlights:
- Olight M20 Premium R2
- JetBeam Jet III M
- EagleTac T10L2, T100C2
- Quark 123²
and of course, not forgetting others from Dereelight and Wolf-eyes ;)

haha, you made the same mistake i did man, in our flashaholic-ism inspired desire to post we missed out his question, that he wants a FENIX flashlite allowing the use of rechargable batteries.

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
even considering that, the Jetbeam Jet III (Pro Ultra, M, ...)
is better than any Fenix 18650 offered.

No bad to switch to a maker offering same/better lights at almost same price.

Hazzgard

Newly Enlightened
Big thanks everybody !

@rookiedaddy
I was looking Fenix because I have one, but I'm not married with these manufacturer so thanks rookiedaddy for the alternatives.

@hyperloop
I know that it's a nice forum here, that's why I'm posting here :twothumbs. Hope I've been polite otherwise sorry if I didn't give this impression...
I forgot to put the prices expected:
for small flashlite (like PD20) 60-80$
for medium (like TK11R2) till 100$
I know I will not have high end flashlites but I cannot afford more with my little budget. That's also the point I choose Fenix because it seems to be the best quality/price based manufacturer. ok, PD20 don't use RCR123 so my other choice was Nitecore Extreme HA Bezel (R1 or 2) but it's quite expensive (I read a lot of great posts for this one). I read also posts about TK11R2, so I think I will choose this one but it has only two modes (I would prefer 3). I will look for Jetbeam III M too (but I need to buy both flashlight at the same retailer)

The last point is "where to buy" as I ordered my last flashlight in fenixstore.com (now 4sevens.com) with a rebate thanks to CPF. What are other good retailers where I can buy at good prices and that deliver in europe ?

Have a nice day and thanks for your future help :D

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
You can consider the following combinations:
1. Olight T10 - Compatible with 3V~4.2V RCR123A batteries
2. Olight M20 Warrior Premium - Use 2 x CR123A / 2 x RCR123A / 2 x 16340 / 1 x 18650 / 1 x 17670

Both can be had within your specified budget and from your preferred retailer. Get a universal li-ion charger that can charge RCR123A and 18650 size and you are all set.

Why Olight? You get a slightly longer runtime and a low mode that last ~20 hours with rechargeables and enough brightness to use around the house. :thumbsup:

fareast

Enlightened
I know I will not have high end flashlites but I cannot afford more with my little budget. That's also the point I choose Fenix because it seems to be the best quality/price based manufacturer. ok, PD20 don't use RCR123 so my other choice was Nitecore Extreme HA Bezel (R1 or 2) but it's quite expensive (I read a lot of great posts for this one). I read also posts about TK11R2, so I think I will choose this one but it has only two modes (I would prefer 3). I will look for Jetbeam III M too (but I need to buy both flashlight at the same retailer)

-> one thing to remember, the PD20 looses it's levels also when using RCR123's just like the P1D. I used the P1D for years without it's levels... Last year I also wanted to upgrade and chose the NEX Q5 with the crenelated bezel. I love this NEX so much, I just received my second one (SS bezel GDP) and it has all the levels you might need! As you said already, it is a bit more expensive but I think it is well worth it (perhaps save a bit longer?), according to my opinion it is a very beautifull light.

The last point is "where to buy" as I ordered my last flashlight in fenixstore.com (now 4sevens.com) with a rebate thanks to CPF. What are other good retailers where I can buy at good prices and that deliver in europe ?

I think there are several options for you. I am not sure if this is allowed but I got mine from flashaholics in the UK. With a CPF discount (enter CPF at checkout for I think a 10% discount) they have even nicer prices. I'd say, go check 'em out.

http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/nitecore/nitecore-extreme-nex.html

Last edited:

Hazzgard

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your help. I was looking at the nitecore EX10 posts and I really like the feature of selecting light levels. I'm pretty sure I will choose EX-10 as my small led flashlite !

I was looking at the forum and found some SSC P7 flashlites. Some from dealextreme are really cheap (about 50-60$) for an high output. I know that they are not that well built than others, but I was wondering if I could just get one as it's for my house. What do you think ?

Last edited:

Latest posts