Pelican 2440 Overdrive LEDs?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Link to Pelican 2440 here

I called and asked Pelican, and the kind lady on the phone said, "You'll be fine with that." However, I wanted to check with the gurus here on CPF anyway!

I have a Pelican 2440 which runs off 4 AA cells at six volts nominal. I used the original alkaline cells in the light all last summer, and when I checked them just now, they all read around 1.23. I can

a) drop in a new set of alkalines
b) drop in a set of four AA lithium primaries I have sitting around
c) drop in four Eneloops

On my voltmeter, the alkalines should give me 1.5 volts. I checked my Eneloops, fresh out of the package and at least two years old, and they read 1.29 volts. I checked four AA lithium primaries, and I got 1.8 volts per cell. 1.8 * 4 = 7.2 volts, which is 1.2 volts higher than four alkalines.

http://www.pelican.com/lights_detail_specs.php?recordID=2440PLB

Now, carrying lithiums will make the light less heavy (a plus), make the light brighter, and the flatter discharge curve of lithiums is great. However, I am concerned about the long term adverse effects of adding an extra 1.2 volts to the five LED cluster in the head.

When I called Pelican, as indicated above, she said I would be fine doing that. However, I am going to be away for a month in some (potentially) very remote areas. Although I will have access to gas stations on the road for new cells if needed, I really cannot afford to have the cluster burn out on me in the backcountry. The reason I am taking this light is because:

1) I took it for the first part of my trip; it has sentimental value
2) It was fifteen dollars; unlike my many more expensive lights, if it breaks or gets lost, though I will be upset, it isn't a $50 or $100 light
3) As much as I love my 18650 lights (and I do love them!) if the cells go bad I have no way to replace them, and without electricity, no way to charge them
4) Can purchase AA cells literally *anywhere*
5) Although I love regulation in my 18650 lights, I do not want it here. The long tail on this light gives me *plenty* of notice that I need new cells
6) Compact
7) Light
8) The light has a nice flood with a slightly brighter hotspot, perfect for setting up camp, checking my bicycle at night, etc.
9) Made in U.S.A.
10) Lifetime warranty

-->So, although I cleared it with Pelican, does anyone here think I am at risk of burning out the LEDs by running them at 7.2 volts nominal?

Last edited:

lolzertank

Enlightened
If it's running off 4 alkalines, there should be a resistor already. Unfortunately, if you want slow, declining output, the only option is really just alkaline since every other chemistry just has a too flat discharge curve.

Just don't leave the alkalines inside for too long and don't over discharge them or you'll have a mess of leaked batteries to clean up.

Latest posts