McLux DIY plus sandwich?

rdf

Newly Enlightened
I have a nice Bad Boy sandwich w/ the Q3L emitter upgrade from dat2zip, currently enhancing a Mini Mag.
If I bought a DIY McLux kit, would the Bad Boy sandwich transfer to the McLux, or do you have to buy the Bad Boy board and wire it up yourself to get it to fit in the McLux? Is that confusing enough?

Thanks,
Russ

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can't use the sandwich 'as is' with the McLux. It would be necessary to remove the emitter from the sandwich so it could be mounted in the McLux head, and then remove the emitter mounting board from the sandwich so that you are left with just the bare electronics board half of the sandwich. This could then be mounted in the McLux.
It may be possible to mount the sandwich with the emitter board still attached, but I haven't checked the clearance in the cavity where it has to go, so not sure..

Graham

rdf

Newly Enlightened
I was afraid it couldn't be that simple. Thanks for the quick reply, Graham.

rdf

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for another quick reply, Raindrop. You posted while I was typing my answer to Graham.

Yeh, I found CPF just barely too late to get in on the TK McLux buy. I'm no modder either, so I tried to purchase one but have been unsuccessful.

Raindrop

Enlightened
I think you just have to be patient and the "right" opportunity will present itself. I didn't have one last week and now I have "enough" that I don't have to jump onto everyone out there. I would recommend that you buy the battery compartment~switch assembly and if you can afford the head do that as well. When a complete light or completed head comes up from one of the wizards on CPF you can either buy that or even find someone that might assemble a tricked out McLux if you aren't personally able to do so.

rdf

Newly Enlightened
Raindrop:

Heh. Great minds, etc .... well, ok, so I'm not a great mind, but it's a good, and relevant, quote.

As a fallback position, I ordered the batt compartment and head DIY parts from The Sandwich Shoppe. In case Wayne or someone else made arrangements w/ a shop to do DIY-parts buildups (this was mentioned as a possibility in one post I read), I didn't want to be out of luck again.

Of course, I'll also keep my eyes on the B/S/T forum.

Thanks for the ideas.