Double and Triple Barrel Flashlights?

john10001

Newly Enlightened
I am wondering why nobody has built a double or triple barrel flashlight?

I think with small cells like CR123A, AA and 18650, these are fairly small size cells. Instead of having single barrel getting longer the more cells you use, is there not a market for going sideways instead and having say a 2AA flashlight with a double barrel? You could still have a fairly small and flat flashlight with double barrel but with more runtime due to extra batteries?

You could even have 4AA with double barrel. The same goes for other cell sizes too... You would get more juice and have to change batteries less often especially for non-rechargeable high drain flashlights if you use higher output more often.

Even rechargeables the amount of run time you get from rechargeable is less than primary(?), so if you have double barrel and can have more cells you get more runtime and save money with rechargeable without sacrifice runtime.

I don't think double barrel would make these small flashlights much bigger would they? You could even have a bigger better reflector in the torch head.

A triple barrel would maybe also be something that would be good and would help keep the same round shape for regular flashlights although it would be quite a bit wider.

What's your thoughts?

John

HKJ

Flashaholic
They exist, here you have a double:

DSC_5969.jpg

And a triple:
DSC_4832.jpg

And a quad:

DSC_4827.jpg

john10001

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I didn't realise that Fenix TK40 was quad barrel and 8AA. What are the other two torch models?

Also does anyone do a C or D cell led flashlight?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Yay HKJ!

Great response and right on. I have and love both the EagleTacs (M2C and M2X.

I've been hankering for a triple barrel... I'm getting the Pilot Whale seen here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/236315

Enjoy!

You know, that is exactly the same link I posted :D (Great minds think alike :crackup:).

I am skipping the PW, it is about the same light output as the M2X, but using a 6 die light, i.e. it is a flood light not a thrower (That is not really a problem, but I have enough P7/MC-E flood lights).

Last edited:

AbleArcher

Newly Enlightened
You've never heard of it but we have lots of cows
Thanks, I didn't realise that Fenix TK40 was quad barrel and 8AA. What are the other two torch models?

Also does anyone do a C or D cell led flashlight?

The good old Wolf Eyes Storm / Super Storm each house three 18650s side-by-side in a battery magazine. I have a Storm and although it's a bit on the fat side the extra power certainly gives it a very decent runtime, even on maximum.

There are a few C and D cell lights around although as far as I'm aware (and maybe one of the more experienced CPF'ers can corroborate / contradict this) most manufacturers seem to stick to smaller batteries. If you're set on getting one, maybe a Maglite with an LED drop-in would suit ?

jahxman

Enlightened
Some of the big Ultrafires, i.e. WF-1300L (7* SSC U2s), TH-1300 (20W HID) and the RL-2088 (Osram 6-die LED emitter) are 3x18650 side by side.

I have the RL-2088 and am enjoying it a lot, similar output to my TK40 (another big light with 8xAA in two ranks of 4 side-by-side) but more floody and cooler tint.

Last edited:

Skyeye

Enlightened
Multiple barrel flashlights have been around for some time now. Here a pic of my 12 year old Energizer ican "double barrel". It takes 8 AA bats. and has a focusable reflector. It is a good thrower and very well built. I don't know if they are still available.
sized_P1010002-1-14.jpg

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
6-7 years ago i bought 2 6d cell spotlight, i don,t even know the manufacturer, they are from 70 or 60's. it is yellow body with 2 barrels each takes 3 batts, and 5" reflector, and a handle.
one i converted to 93 led light about 2weeks after i bought it, it still works, thou leds are 5000-6000mcd, one of the brightest at the time, and expencive, i paid about $2 for each. back in those days you couldn't get them much cheaper.
second one still stock, waiting for overhaul,
usually twin or triple barrel isn't that comon thing (i mean the ones that you can actually see different barrels, unlike, serge or tk40).
uk, princton tec, and few other manufactures make dive lights with this set up

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
i have been hoping someone to make an modern led flashlight doublebarrel AA or AAA (compatible with li-ions would be awesome)

to me that size and shape is very nice. easy to carry but would allow longer runtimes with double batteries. also a short but stubby shape would convinient to hold and maybe add an side clicky into it too. (look at cool SPY 007 custom flashlight to see the pricey version of such design)

or just take your small AA/AAA light and tape a spare battery into its body.. and use and hold it for a while.. i dont think you will find it "too" big at all. just imagine the double runtime and increased brightness.

but i am biased.. for years i carried UK 4AA which was "double" barrel.

Gryloc

Enlightened
Do not forget the classic Streamlight ProPoly 4AA. I cant wait till they toss the new TFFC K2 in there and have an updated version. I have lost the time and motivation to mod them anymore. Double barrel lights have a good feel. Sometimes I do not like thick flashlights. :D

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
In addition to what has already been mentioned, Princeton Tec has made polymer double battery lights for years, as has Underwater Kinetics. It's been fairly standard in compact dive lights for 15+ years.

The big question for me is why haven't any manufacturers made P60 dropin compatible 4AA setups using double barrel bodies yet? Some of us around here have been asking for one for over 2 years now. :thinking:

R.ticle One

Newly Enlightened
In addition to what has already been mentioned, Princeton Tec has made polymer double battery lights for years, as has Underwater Kinetics. It's been fairly standard in compact dive lights for 15+ years.

The big question for me is why haven't any manufacturers made P60 dropin compatible 4AA setups using double barrel bodies yet? Some of us around here have been asking for one for over 2 years now. :thinking:

Yes, dagnabbit, yes! I was just about to ask the same thing, then found this thread. That would be such an awesome format.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
C cells are the same length as AA's - 50mm. A single C cell has 150% of the capacity of 2 AA's. Comparing a double barrel configuration of 4 AA's vs. 2 C's in-line, the C is fatter but the AA is taller. Also, the double barrel is more complex to machine (it cannot be done efficiently using just a CNC lathe) and therefore more costly to produce. This graphic showing isometric and front views of both configurations illustrates the differences.

a_64w.jpg

Legend

Newly Enlightened
C cells are the same length as AA's - 50mm. A single C cell has 150% of the capacity of 2 AA's. Comparing a double barrel configuration of 4 AA's vs. 2 C's in-line, the C is fatter but the AA is taller. Also, the double barrel is more complex to machine (it cannot be done efficiently using just a CNC lathe) and therefore more costly to produce.

I've wondered, for some lights like the TK40, why larger cells aren't used instead of many smaller ones in a multi-barrel arrangement.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've wondered, for some lights like the TK40, why larger cells aren't used instead of many smaller ones in a multi-barrel arrangement.

Because AA are more accesible than larger cells... and we already have multi barrel 18650 flashlights.