AA x 2 light that complementing the Fenix LD10

nobita

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, I'm stuck and need some input ...

Recently I gave a Fenix LD10 (AA x 1) to a family member who REALLY liked the light (never seen or heard of such "advancement" and has been using ~10 lumens light for years). Now I want to give him an AA x 2 light to "complete" his "collection" and giving him the option to "choose" a light depend on the situation ...

I'm looking at the Fenix LD20 (exact same as LD10 except longer run time), Fenix E20 (good, easy-to-use light, more affordable, have gotten one in the past, one one mode), Fenix L2T v2.0 Q2 Black (two modes, great, more versatile than E20), Fenix TK20 (two modes, looks like a working light), and Nitecore D20 (watched a lot of videos but have 0 experience with their light) but have NOOOOOOOOO clue about what to get.

I'm also going to get some eneloop batteries. Can the lights mentioned all use eneloop safely?

Thanks for reading and the input !

Toaster

Enlightened
Get him a thrower to complement that LD10. Fenix TK20 or Eagletac P100A2 are good choices here. This is a good place to start for ideas.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it really depends on how he might use the lights, but since he has the LD10, I'd pass on the LD20 which basically only adds runtime. If runtime is not an issue, then forget that or maybe just get the LD20 body and he can configure the light.

I'd have to recommend the TK20, and brute of an AA light. Good worklight, but really a good outdoor light. If he does not need an outdoor light, then maybe he does not need this one. EagleTac might be good to, I have not tried their AA lights. Now if he needs a "bright light" EagleTac certainly has another light that fits the bill.

So does he really need a second light just yet? I'd wait until you here back on what the light was not the greatest for and then choose accordingly. Getting him on Eneloops sounds like a good next step.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Or you could just get him the LD20/L2D 2xAA body tube for the option of greater output (on Turbo) and runtime (all modes).

The 2xAA roundup review in my signature will go through most of the other options. My recent Quark and Olight Infinitum reviews will give you a couple of more recent examples. And I should be getting the 2xAA body tube for the LiteFlux LF3XT to review soon.

Really depends on what characteristics (and price) you are looing for.

And yes, Eneloops are safe (and a good idea) for all lights. :thumbsup:

seaside

Enlightened
Could be off topic, maybe not.

I always kind of fed up with my little brother that gives me what he think is cool. I appreciated for that though, lot of what he'd given me had been ended up in the storage box, because his show off style doesn't really match my rather conservative life style. The same goes to me and my in-laws. They often can't find the use of my gift. Wow that's cool, but what is this for anyway? Kinda thing happens a lot when it comes to the gift.

I think it depends on what and how he uses the flashlight. You want to give him what he wants, not what you think is cool for there could be some significant difference b/w two. So I would say, go ask him how he feel about LD10, what's he think is cool and what is to be improved, etc. You can make better choice by knowing those.

AusKipper

Enlightened
My vote is the TK20

The tint will make him think its incan lol oh it would be funny to watch "but you told me its a LED, why isnt the light coming out all blue/white?"

That of course is not why that has my vote, the reason it has my vote is because its built like a tank and can tail stand and uses AA and has good throw (on the whole i like throw more than flood).

I also appreciate the rubber grip in cold weather without gloves (though some people that prefer pure aluminum lights dont like it... and of course they are entitled to that preference lol)

HKJ

Flashaholic
I agree with the TK20, but another one is the 4Sevens Quark 2xAA light, it has both a very low and a very high level and something in between.

hazna

Enlightened
Just get him the LD20 battery tube to go with the LD10. You get the option of greater runtime, or higher brightness on turbo. Much more economical than getting him another light altogether.

nobita

Newly Enlightened
I definitely need something brighter than the LD10 and in the AA x 2 configuration (easier to hold/find; his wife can use it too easily)

The AA x 2 battery tube is not an option since I really want to get his another light so he has 2 in the house (married with 2 kids)

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/214890 I read through it... still tough to decide... I would like to stick with Fenix since I have had many in the past without problem.

I really like the TK20 but its warm tint is having me worried ... or not ? can someone explain why it has a warm tint ?

Thanks for all the input so far !

AusKipper

Enlightened
I really like the TK20 but its warm tint is having me worried ... or not ? can someone explain why it has a warm tint ?

Oh, thats a bonus, you pay extra for warm tint (ie loss of lumins, it would be 180ish without the warm tint) but its nice to have.

I'm not really sure why, lots will say its for better color rendition, but i can render colours just fine if i have enough lux on an object from my cree in my TK10.

And if you shine the TK20 at a white wall, it looks yellow, but if you shine the TK10 at a white wall, it looks white. So to me that says the cree renders colors better, however, there is just something about it outside thats more enjoyable, especially when its cold, it makes you feel warmer somehow lol maybe thats why its called warm tint.

It does seem to penetrate the dark though, and render "bush" colors better, so perhaps the better color rendition thing is true. I dont know, buy one and try it :p

You could also use search, and search for color rendition and see what wars have been started on the topic, especially if you add incans in to the mix as well.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I would like to stick with Fenix since I have had many in the past without problem.

The Quark is "just" an improved Fenix and the manufacturer/dealer is providing a very good warranty on them.

Warm tint is due to a different phosphor in the led, that contains more red in its spectrum, you can compare it one these outdoor beamshots: http://www.lygte-info.dk/review/Beamshoot JetBeam RRT-2 comparison UK.html

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
Streamlight Sidewinder? :shrug: works with A alkaline & lithium, not sure about rechargeables though...

compliment the LD10 with the coloured LEDs (or IR), anti-roll body & it's articulating head. :thinking: