Beams-CMG Reactor 3, Inova X5T, Pelican L1

epro05

Newly Enlightened
I received a Pelican L1 as a gift a couple of weeks ago. I was so impressed with the beam quality, having no circles, dark spots, or other artifacts, that I was so accustomed to with every flashlight I've used over the past 40+ years, and so I followed up with some surfing that led me to CPG. After researching CPF, I decided to get an Inova X5T and a CMG Reactor 3. They arrived this week. I took a few shots comparing the three. Here are the photos.

First, a shot of the flashlights.
{151AACA5-CA1A-436D-8E55-6D3C3CF68BED}lg.jpg

These were taken about 7 feet away from the wall. The CMG Reactor actually seems to have the best correllation to daylight. The camera shows it much warmer than I really see it. Its really quite white.

{21389389-6E6B-48EF-A919-E0B7ADFE91B0}lg.jpg

More pics overlooking my back yard. Distances to prominent objects are labeled on the first picture.

{019730E5-9A98-4BE7-893E-1EAA213A68C5}lg.jpg

And here are some pics taken from a distance of about 7 feet.

{342BD0EE-D796-415A-BA93-777831F62169}lg.jpg

And one last set taken from about 7 feet away.

{99D2DBA0-59D2-43F2-B628-6711496F093E}lg.jpg

Many thanks to this forum for enlightening me on what is possible with the latest technology flashlights.

I do have one more flashlight on the way. Its a Streamlight Scorpion, for those times when I need a bit more throw and brightness. Should be here tomorrow.

By the way, the little Pelican L1 may be the one I'll be using the most, even though it is not the brightest. I always carry it in my pocket, and its so small and light, I don't realize it's with me, until I need it. It really comes in handy for so many things. But the others are awesome, when I need a brighter light.

I've got one more coming. A Streamlight Scorpion. Should be here tomorrow. Sometimes you might need a little more punch.

Phil

DrAg0n

Banned
I just love to see Beam shots...not sure why myself..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

No Surefires?

epro05

Newly Enlightened
I'm on a budget at the moment. If I wasn't, I'd probably have an ARC LS, and maybe a couple of Surefires also.

I must have a thing for brightness. The 2,000,000 candle power lights are beginning to intrigue me.

Phil

epro05

Newly Enlightened
I did worry a bit about what quality of beam I would be getting, based on the varied experiences of people posting on this forum. The packaging of of the Reactor 3 allowed it to be snapped apart easily, and then re-snapped back together. So distributers could screen them for their favorite customers. If there were retail stores that carried them, it would be easy to sort through them to find a good one. On the other hand, my Inova required a knife and scissors to get to the product, totally destroying the packaging.

I'm sure that Lumileds will eventually acquire the technology and process control to produce a tighter distribution of of beam quality. It's just the price consumers pay, while they learn.

Phil

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Very nice pics! Thanks! I'm so used to beamshots against a white wall...other's have posted pics of bushes & trees in their yards - those were a welcome change. I think Mr. Bulk or Wayne (ElektroLumens) have posted some different ones...

I like being able to see the definition of the different colors in yours. I believe I would like to see both types of shots when comparing beams...if and when attempting beamshots again myself..this is what I will attempt to do.

epro05

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the nice comments. I was really trying to get some color into the pics, which helps to evaluate the quality and color temperature of the beams, and also provide some information on throw (on the one picture that I labeled distances on).

Glad you liked them.

Phil