TK 20 vs. Streamlight Propoly 4AA (?)

mmace1

Enlightened
For those of you who have who have used both a Fenix TK20 and a Streamlight Proply 4AA - what are your opinions? How do they compare?

AusKipper

Enlightened
I have had the TK20, and i can vouch that that is a good light.

I am not sure how many people you will find that actually have had both. Your probably better off looking for reviews on each one and making your decision that way.

Fortunately, if your choosing between those two, they are quite different lights, so you should be able to quickly determine what light suits your needs best.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Advantages of the SL PP 4AA Luxeon:

* Runs well on alkaline batteries (the TK20 is best on NiMH or lithiums).
* Safety rated (TK20 is not).
* All polymer body (won't scratch things).

Advantages of the Fenix TK20:

* Much higher output (more efficient Cree emitter versus Luxeon in the SL PP).
* Two output levels (SL PP has only one).
* Known LED tint (usual Luxeon lottery with the SL PP).

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The TK20 is not a bad replacement for the ProPoly Lux. I gave one to my daughter to replace her old ProPoly.

Although it is a much sturdier build, overall weight when fully loaded with 2xAA batteries is a bit less than the ProPoly with 4xAA batts. Output of the TK20 on Low is pretty close to the ProPoly, but of course the TK20 doesn't throw as far on Low (the Propoly has a larger and deeper reflector, producing more throw for a given output). But on Hi, the higher luminous flux Cree in the TK20 will out-throw it.

Runtime on Hi is reduced due to the 2 cells on the TK20, but since the Cree is more than twice as efficient, runtime of the TK20 on Low should exceed the ProPoly. And alkalines are still an acceptable choice - if you plan to run the TK20 on Low most of the time. And can always pack a few extra spare cells for more runtime.

Bottom line, it comes down to how you feel about the TK20 build (i.e. may be a bit more of a tank than you want - although others like that about it), and the warmer neutral-tint emitters (again, some like it, some don't). My color and tint comparison has additional tint examples to help you compare.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I have both and I would probably go for the TK20. The SL is bright and such, but it is not all that efficient. It only runs for 4 and a half hours on Nimh and it takes 4 AAs instead of 2. The TK20 will run at a similar brightness for 10 hours with only 2 AAs.

But some people like that plastic body. And the TK 20 does feel over built. I own both so if you are really interested in them I can get some comparison shots of the two lights.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_propolyluxeon.htm This is a review of the SL.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a TK20, got one for my wife, one for my father, one for a friend and generally recommend it for outdoor use because of the neutral white LED, the rubber coat and because it uses 2 x AA (instead of CR123A which can be quite expensive...)

I would never consider to buy that Propoly though, just overflew the review. 4 x AA are 2 too much, the LED is outdated, the runtime short and I don't like plastic. To me this is comparing apples to oranges and of course I recommend the TK20 also to you, fantastic light! :thumbsup:

fishx65

Enlightened
Don't have the TK20 but I do have 5 Propolys all modded with DX U-bin Seouls. These are very good lights out of the box but become awesome lights with the Seoul mod. The Seoul led makes this light much brighter and adds a ton of spill. Best AA deer tracking light I have ever found!!!