In celebration of the TK40.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has been a LONG, LONG time since I have encountered a light that has put a smile on my face. You know, the wicked sick kind of lumens grin. I'm jaded, I'm 'old school' (well, not as old as some but pretty old considering join date of Jun '04 - has it really been five solid years?). I come from a time when Surefire KL1's were 30 lumens on a good day and incans ruled the roost. I've built many a LED and incan light and every time someone lights up one of the more popular incan builds, I'm glad my work has made a difference.

Then I kinda lost interest. LEDs were 'all the same kind' and not much significant progress was being made, just repackaging the same LEDs in different form factors. Work, life takes you far from home and in different directions. I did keep the essentials though, my U2 has always stuck around.

It would take a truly special light to draw me back into the game. That light is the Fenix TK40. Cree MC-E to me represents progress. I haven't seen this kind of quad-die since the days of the Luxeon V - which had already been surpassed by the newer Cree's.

I just got mine, lit it up and holy cow, Turbo mode is AWESOME. Instant-strike, regulated, powered by 8AAs - I'm a bit tired of dealing with finicky li-ions although I still value them for what they can do (and I still have a ton of them anyway).

The battery carrier is magnificent. The build quality, feel and even the intuitive battery polarity markings remind me of some of the custom work I have experienced. This even beats the carrier in the Mag2HID, which is also a 8xAA setup. Overall feel of the light is superb, fit and finish has come a long way since Fenix was brand new to the game. They are now a serious, serious player. The light arrived basically perfect. There are no nits to pick with this.

The multimode switching is surprisingly intuitive, even to someone who doesn't like multi-click lights like myself (another reason I'm a fan of the U2).

The design of the light is nice too, not in any way overstated, just a very plain, simple design. I am not into the tactical light look that makes lights look like pineapples with all the intricate machinework spilling out everywhere. I like simple, timeless, classy designs. In that sense, the TK40 shares more in common with my D3/SRTH combo - even the reflector reminds me a lot of the SRTH.

But the most amazing part is the LIGHT. This is one sick light. The amount of sheer output is.... I can't get over it. Everything I own now looks like a candle compared to this monster. It's ridiculous. It has instant-on capability unlike my Mag2HID, it's brighter than the Mag2HID, and no fragile HID bulb to babysit. It's regulated, unlike the ROP, and it's bright.

The best part is that it is value priced. At $155 that is a tremendous value proposition compared to what we've been paying. Not so long ago a light of this caliber would have been custom work and very, VERY much more expensive.

Fenix has hit a home run with this. Lots of folks raving over it. Just get it.

Props to Lighthound for the super fast shipping and 2% CPF discount which just makes it all the more sweeter.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The brightness levels are very well chosen too. I can't believe that medium will run for 11 hours, yet is as bright as the usual Cree drop-ins for SF's. The Cree's are supposed to be 130+ emitter lumens, the TK40 is only 93 - don't tell me that Fenix is now rating for OTF lumens? Wow. :twothumbs

Either way, medium is a very very useful worklight level, lasts forever too. High is great, and just when I think it can't do any more there's still Turbo :D

Edited to add photos!!!

(ps: I make no apology for painting out the serial number in the pics, otherwise they have not been Photochopped.. :) )

p284384180-4.jpg

p128989920-5.jpg

p94883818-4.jpg

p125952563-4.jpg

p204410994-4.jpg

p159003843-4.jpg

p284229027-4.jpg

p387446790-4.jpg

p236617253-4.jpg

p4040189-4.jpg

Last edited:

AusKipper

Enlightened
The brightness levels are very well chosen too. I can't believe that medium will run for 11 hours, yet is as bright as the usual Cree drop-ins for SF's.

Actually, Medium will last for 20 hours according to the Fenix website, and ledtorches.com.au

Not sure where fenix-store got the 11 from... there is no brightness setting that goes for 11...

I have one, but i havnt done a runtime test, so i cant tell you the answer either way.

*edit*
Found a runtime graph with it going to 16 hours on medium, 2000mah eneloops :)
http://www.light-reviews.com/

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with everything you have said about this light! When I got mine and powered it up for the first time, I thought to myself, ...HOLY CRAP!!!:grin2:. Then I realized it was on high....not turbo!!:laughing: You can imagine my reaction!. It totally blew me away the first time I tried it in our back yard when it got dark!!!:D:D:D

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, Medium will last for 20 hours according to the Fenix website, and ledtorches.com.au

Not sure where fenix-store got the 11 from... there is no brightness setting that goes for 11...

I have one, but i havnt done a runtime test, so i cant tell you the answer either way.

*edit*
Found a runtime graph with it going to 16 hours on medium, 2000mah eneloops :)
http://www.light-reviews.com/

Oh, even better. I took the specs off Lighthound's page. That means 2 solid 8 hour nights without a recharge. Perfect if you are going camping and not planning on sleeping for two nights ;)

I agree with everything you have said about this light! When I got mine and powered it up for the first time, I thought to myself, ...HOLY CRAP!!!:grin2:. Then I realized it was on high....not turbo!!:laughing: You can imagine my reaction!. It totally blew me away the first time I tried it in our back yard when it got dark!!!:D:D:D

:D :hitit:

I cannot believe that my first foray into serious flashaholism was a Surefire E1e with 15 lumens out the MN01 lamp and I thought it "was pretty darn bright".

The TK40 by comparison is a flamethrower. I've found my new favorite ambush-people-in-the-dark light: it has to be instant-on because you can't wait for a HID to warm up. This role used to be filled by incandescents such as the D3/SRTH with MN16 (225 output lumens), but I think the SRTH can take it easy for a while :D

recDNA

Flashaholic
I love mine....trouble is it annoys the people on the other side of the woods when I go out to play!

marc123

Newly Enlightened
I have to agree, this is one monster of a light. Perfect balance of throw and spill. Easy to power with AA Eneloops and you can use only 4 if you have to. Huge runtime. I really can't fault this light. It is a feat of engineering. I can't get enough of playing around with it.

Even when my dog sees me grab the TK40 now she lets out a big sigh, not another walk around the block...

thedeske

Enlightened
Nice review Kevin

I've been waiting for campsmart to re-stock and finally this a.m. bing!

Next week I join the zombie killer club ;)

Last edited:

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Definitely a hell of a light. For some reason I was expecting a little bit more throw, I was hoping it would outhrow my Led Lenser P14 with both on turbo (momentary turbo on the P14), but the P14 just BARELY edges it out on throw alone. The EXTREME beam quality more than makes up for this. Fenix has used the perfect geometry in their reflector for the MC-E. It is insane, It has better beam quality than a lot of my single-die XR-E lights, a far cry from the usual donut hole of numerous quad die lights, and my TK40 has no rings or dark rings whatsoever. I think I've mentioned before that I have some ridiculous luck with the tint lottery for some reason, and the TK40 is no exception. I recieved a slightly warm, slightly YELLOW-tinted MC-E!! Well-matched dies even viewing under shaded vision. It is exactly what I was hoping for. The torture test of this torch shows it can take severe abuse, like using the light to hammer nails through wood, and still function perfectly fine. (thin tube walls you say?!? HA!) In fact, the test showed that your cells will fail well before the light, and the positive contacts in the holder are easily re-bent if you do manage to bend them. The inherent reliability of the electronic rather than mechanical switch is icing on the cake, and the parasitic drain can be handled pretty easily if you're not lazy as hell.(it's not THAT hard to unload and reload the battery carrier, c'mon now people). All in all a great light. A TK40 with a deeper reflector of a similar geometry for a quad die thrower with a perfect beam would be pretty awesome..

Last edited:

nickanto

Newly Enlightened
I too got out of the light game a couple years back. I bought a couple of high quality lights and that was it. My best light to date was a Streamlight Ultra stinger. It was bright, but battery life was just pathetic. I decided to upgrade and after reading on this forum for a couple months I decided to go for the TK40. I just didn't find many complaints at all about the light. I really didn't know what to expect since I am absolutely clueless about the new LED technology. I'm no light expert what so ever, but this light is a beast. It completely drowns out my other streamligh lights. They will likely collect dust in the cabinet because this light does it all. On medium, the light is bright enough to do just about everything, and the battery life at that setting is unreal. Even the low setting is bright enough to do a lot of task. The turbo is just for the wow factor that I get out my friends. Its an awesome light, I'm already shopping for my next fenix light.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's gotten to the point where I am using the TK40 as a room light - that it tailstands well is a bonus. Point it up at the ceiling and let it flood the whole room with light.

The MC-E and P7 are a watershed point in LED lighting, where LED's are finally 'bright enough'. All my previous generation Crees, Luxeons and whatnot all look like candles - I light them up and I wonder why they're so dim now.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pics posted........you may drool now!! (scroll up to thread start, 2nd post)

p301479302-4.jpg

Last edited: