Assistance requested for tattoo design ((Update - Artwork Finalized))

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay so I'm interested in getting a tattoo and have absolutely no artistic ability whatsoever :crackup:. I've got several already that all have intrinsic meaning to me (the only legitimate basis for getting any sort of tattoo in my opinion), and now I want another. I'm thinking of getting some type flashlight put on my hip just below my waistline on my right leg that will be reminiscent of the ultimate EDC; the McGizmo PD-S. Your thoughts or suggestions on the matter are appreciated but if you are against tattoos and intend to be rude about it, please keep those thoughts to yourself, or PM me instead.

It's either gonna be something small (< 6" on leg) or something quite large (chestpiece). I've wanted a chestpiece for some time now but could never fully commit to any particular design. Any good chestpiece has to be something that you can build on later, and also bold/unique enough to stand on its own. If I opt for the chestpiece I'd like something incorporating the Spartan helmet from the movie '300' as well as one of McGizmo's offerings; preferably the PD-S or perhaps the LS27. If you consider yourself to be skillful in creating a design for me then feel free to submit your rendition of what I'm after. I can make it worth your time but I'm not Fort Knox either :D. Let the discussion begin :popcorn:.

Last edited:

Ctrain

Enlightened
Re: Any skillful artists/illustrators out there? - assistance requested for tattoo de

Hey, I'm a Graphic Designer with a love for tattoos... I can't promise anything but if I get some time I'll have a play around with the idea... I think most ppl will think a flashlight as a tattoo? Wtf??? But I think if you go for the old school look it could come up trumps! Anyways... Like I said... Can't promise anything But I'll see what I can do!

arowana

Newly Enlightened
Re: Any skillful artists/illustrators out there? - assistance requested for tattoo de

I'll like to give it a shot too (no promises as well because it really depends on whether I get inspiration). What type of tattoos do you have on you? If possible I'll like to create something that wouldn't look out of place beside your existing ones..

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks so far for the feedback :thumbsup:. Here's all the tatts I have at the moment. Sorry for crappy pics, took them by myself this morning at work. Everything I've ever got has been on my legs. A little bit of latin and italian text with greek lettering also. Nothing on upper body whatsoever yet.

Right Leg

Left Leg

Last edited:

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast

brighterisbetter: very cool thread and awesome idea - look forward to following this one and seeing the final results down the road!!!

Been thinking of getting a tattoo for years but, like yourself, just cant find a design I like... the one topic I have considered the most, like yourself again (great minds...:D), is one related to Sparta and more specifically Thermopylae (I'm a ridiculous classical history/archaeology buff as this was my under-grad & grad focus [though I'm now in the financial arena]).

In my opinion, simply put, this was one of the most historically significant events in our history as it essentially preserved the practice of democracy, indirectly, through the Spartans giving the Athenians enough time (by stalling the Persians and sacrificing their own lives in the process) to abandon Athens in safety before its destruction... OK. I'll stop now :tinfoil:

I considered the words "molon labe" in ancient Greek (and possibly the spartan helmet) though, today I think it may have too much US military connection and lost some of its historically significant aura...

As you probably know, "molon labe" was the supposed Spartan response when asked to surrender their weapons to the Persians. It is roughly translated to "you can come and take them (the Spartans referring to their weapons) after you have killed us," with the Spartans believing that they will in-fact be killed by the Persians. Maybe the artist can incorporate "molon labe" scripted around a PD-S picture directing the meaning of the phase to the light as opposed to a weapon...? Just a thought from your post...

Anyway, best of luck (sorry for rambling)!!!

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very informative post bullfrog so thanks for sharing. :D I too am a history buff but didn't really become so until after college. Originally I had wanted to also incorporate into the tattoo some bits of the Gadsden flag, but refrained for a couple of reasons. First, I'm not currently nor have I ever been a member of the military, and the Gadsden flag was an early motto flag for the Marine Corps. Second, I don't want my tattoos to be construed as 'anti-government' or 'anarchist' should the Gadsden flag be one day used as a propaganda tool signifying allegiance to any certain group. Third, I don't want the tattoo too cluttered with similar sentimentalities from different eras. Hope that makes sense.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast

:eek: .... Ouch, Bruce

the tat you have on your achilles tendon looks PAINFUL.

Have you considered a back piece instead of the chest ?
I think back pieces look so much better ... no interruptions with
pure skin :D

I hope reading this thread is not going to encourage me
to add more tattoos to myself :rolleyes:

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast

I hope reading this thread is not going to encourage me
to add more tattoos to myself :rolleyes:
Go for it Wai. :hitit: I always say do what makes you happy.

Yeah the tendon ones weren't too pleasant :mecry: but I hear that's far less painful than the ribcage :green:.

As for a backpiece, I agree that they're super cool but my brother already has one and I don't want it to be perceived that I was trying to emulate him whatsoever. Plus, I've got a bit more back hair than I'd care to admit :laughing:.

In case anyone is curious, the right leg says "Post Hoc, Ergo, Propter Hoc" translated means "After This, Therefore, Because of This". Sort of in line with 'you reap what you sow' and the inevitability of consequences for actions. Reminds me to try to live a morally sound lifestyle. The left leg says "Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit" very loosely translated means "The Growing Vine becomes the Learning Vine", or as I like to think of it, 'The individual becomes part of the group through shared experience". It was taken from the Lonesome Dove tv mini-series that was my father's favorite show before he died. The Italian at the bottom is "Paradiso Perduto" or "Paradise Lost". And the greek lettering is "Phi Phi Kappa Alpha" - my fraternity motto. All my tattoos also have other personal implications to aspects of my life.

Metatron

Banned

hmm, perhaps the ultimate EDC scurrying down a rat hole, to depict the sorrow of having ur hard earned cash disappearing down the proverbial... the "flashaholic lament'

Last edited:

snailmeat

Newly Enlightened

I think you should go for a line drawing, like blue prints or CAD drawings or something. It could even be an exploded view of the flashlight. That would match your existing artwork.

You can see my ink here:
www.myspace.com/snailmeat
:)

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Symbol for quantum energy (light) in the form of a tribal.

Just a thought.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think you should go for a line drawing, like blue prints or CAD drawings or something. It could even be an exploded view of the flashlight. That would match your existing artwork.

You can see my ink here:
www.myspace.com/snailmeat
:)
Interesting.....very interesting :popcorn: Thanks for sharing. I couldn't view your pics as I'm not a MySpace user but your profile pic looked great.
Symbol for quantum energy (light) in the form of a tribal.
That sounds kinda cool. I did a quick google search but wasn't exactly sure what I was looking for. To be honest, I'm not against them really but I'm just not a big fan of tribals. They look cool on some people just not on me.

I'm thinking something only a flashaholic would recognize - kind of your gang sign. :laughing: Maybe:

McGizmo Ti

or

"Mama don't love incans"

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why don't you get the artist who will be doing the tattoo to help you with the design? I'm sure the end result will be better if you work from start to finish with the man/woman that will be putting it on your skin.

That's what I would do, at least :eek:

Regards,
Tempest

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast

Have the inside of your navel tattooed with GITD ink, then have a tattoo of a
SF M6 aimed at your navel ...... just JKing of course :D :p

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's some help in deciding where to place it. :D

By chimo

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast

chimo, that's a funny image :laughing:

Here's a rough sketch of artwork submitted by Ctrain that I'm posting here with his permission. I adjusted the exposure and color just a bit so that it would show up better for others to see. The ribbon/banner has yet to be filled with text; and I'm still mulling over what that will be exactly though I do have some ideas.

IMG00591-20090729-1812.jpg