Help finding a tactical flashlight (White, red, green filters)

investinwaffles

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so I frequently fly at night time and I am having a very hard time finding a flashlight to suit my needs.

I need a flashlight that can be set to a bright white light to pre-flight the plane (on the outside, checking all the details of the plane and making sure they work etc.), a red light so I can see in the cockpit if I am looking for something and in general to maintain my night-vision, and a green light specifically for looking at charts.

I decided to purchace one of these after seeing it at my local FBO:
FL-LED_Std.jpg

Unfortunatley the white light is very dim (or not bright enough for me). It is just 5 x 5mm LED's and is insufficient at any distance seemingly over 3ft. I have a separate 3w maglite that I use at home and it is extremely bright (probably brighter than my needs). I feel that I need either a luxeon led or a cree led as the primary white light, but the red and green lights need to be fairly dim so they don't blind me mid-flight.

I also cant deal with filters, as the flashlight needs to be operable with just one hand. I saw a coleman max flashlight at my local wally world. The primary light (120 lumens) should be plenty for me, but it only does red and blue filters (the blue doesn't serve any purpose).

Is there a flashlight for me? I have been searching but cant come up with anything useful :(
Or will I just have to buy the coleman and desolder the blue led and replace it with a green one (i suck at soldering, and I cant have my flashlight fail midflight - potentially dangerous not to mention inconvenient).

Thank you in advance.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you would like to reconsider your filter position, the Eagletac T20C2 will be out shortly, and it has filters which screw into the bezel.

You also might want to look at the Inova Inforce Color, which has blue, green, and red LEDs.

I think 4-sevens is going to be coming out with a light that uses the MC-E color soon as well.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
I'm a pilot too and have had similar fun trying to find one light that does it all. I've tried various combinations, including an LED Lenser similar to the one in your photo, and I've found that separate lights are often actually better.

The trouble with multi-colour lights is that one or other is almost certainly going to be not what you need for the task in hand. The white light on those multi-LED lights is indeed too dim and floody to be useful for preflights. The other disadvantage is that you then have to worry about which one you activate - the last thing you need once dark-adapted is to press the wrong button and get a faceful of white light. I've found that I prefer having two or three different lights - different shapes and sizes, making it less likely that you'll get the wrong one.

Having said that, there are a couple of possibilities for a red-white combo with a good user interface:

Either the LRI Proton Pro, or (if you're feeling more affluent), the Surefire Aviator will do you a good combination that's easy to select the colours. Photon also do a good selection of different colours in the Photon Freedom, which would do your green: this could be an excellent solution for your cockpit light - clipped to a kneeboard or something.

Finally - if you can wait just a little bit you might also want to check out the upcoming 4Sevens MC-E which is likely to be coming out with a multi-colour option. Details are sketchy at the moment, but this could be exactly what you are looking for.

Oh - and: :welcome:

Vinniec5

Enlightened
Take a look at the First light USA Tomahawk MC http://www.first-light-usa.com/tomahawkmain.php they make a red/green model too. I have the red/blue one and its designed as a one-handed light for Police/Military. They are tough as a brick and they way they have the finger clip you could grab the Yoke with both hands without dropping the light if needed. Its not cheap but good quality stuff usually isn't Here's a link to a review thread on CPF https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/188740 It's the model I have

Last edited:

investinwaffles

Newly Enlightened
http://www.opticsplanet.net/inova-inforce-primary-led-white-flash-light.html

The perfect light for you.

It can be set to a powerful white light.. or red, blue, or green.

All from the tailcap.

Its a toss up between the tomahawk and this one for me. I like the tomahawk because it has the finger clip, but I like the design and build of the inova inforce a little better (the traditional flashlight design). What I DONT like is that they use cr123 LEDs and the runtime is fairly short on the main flashlight (high power), plus high battery costs.

I also should have mentioned that I'm training (in flight school) and funds are really tight. 250 on a flashlight is a damn good investment (I will deff. use it for the next 10+ years), but Im pretty broke right now and have a lot of living expenses (rent and food mostly, plus school costs). :( :broke:

I think I'm going to pick up one of these cheap lights, mod it, and see how it does (do some extensive ground testing). I really want a good flashlight, but I guess I overestimated how much they cost.
Im not terrible at soldering, so I'll have to see if it is possible (woot for wal-mart's return policy :party:)

The coleman max CREE LED flashlight:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10196617#Q&A+Exchange

0007650122665_500X500.jpg

30 day return policy ftw :eek:oo:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a toss up between the tomahawk and this one for me. I like the tomahawk because it has the finger clip, but I like the design and build of the inova inforce a little better (the traditional flashlight design). What I DONT like is that they use cr123 LEDs and the runtime is fairly short on the main flashlight (high power), plus high battery costs.

I also should have mentioned that I'm training (in flight school) and funds are really tight. 250 on a flashlight is a damn good investment (I will deff. use it for the next 10+ years), but Im pretty broke right now and have a lot of living expenses (rent and food mostly, plus school costs). :( :broke:

I think I'm going to pick up one of these cheap lights, mod it, and see how it does (do some extensive ground testing). I really want a good flashlight, but I guess I overestimated how much they cost.
Im not terrible at soldering, so I'll have to see if it is possible (woot for wal-mart's return policy

I feel you with the budget thing. I've got to get a decent tactical light for duty and with my new found bills and lack of reliable work, I'm cut short trying to wing it for some time.

You should do the same.

Go get a little powerful light from DX (I can't believe I said that) and use that as your primary. The Solarforce lights are pretty cheap also.

Then go to a local outdoor store, gun store, etc (something along those lines) and look for something that is multi colored.

I found a little light in a local outdoor store that was 20 dollars and had 4 LEDs. White, Blue, Green, Red. I know they wouldn't be bright, but they would be bright enough for a cockpit.

Doing something like this would cost less than 50 dollars or so and give you what you need. Hey a Solarforce light in a holster and another small, mutli-colored light (that is even smaller) wouldn't kill your pockets.

Being as you need them for two different situations (outside and inside a plane) you don't HAVE to have the convenience of one light that does it all.

With time, you can wait for the new 4sevens light (18650 battery, mutli colored multi die LED, all changed through the UI) or get another light like the NForce.

That is what I would do.

investinwaffles

Newly Enlightened
Actually, your right.

The little red/green/white light is more than enough for in-cockpit activities and there is very little reason I would need the power of a better light while in-cockpit (it would only blind me).
I guess I got hung up on an "all-in-one" light.

Im checking out the solarforce lights right now, as they seem to be pretty good build quality and exceptional value.

Thanks a ton, search and everyone from CPF :party:

fleegs

Enlightened
Pilot LED Light Recommendation Request

Hello.

I have a friend whose husband is a pilot. Which requires him to have a two cell light.

Does anyone know a good two cell LED light dim enough for a pilot to use?

He currently thinks all LED lights are too bright and therefore uses an incandescent light.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Re: Pilot LED Light Recommendation Request

A good choice might be the Nitecore D20 - fully controllable from very low to nice and bright for walkarounds. One of the new Quark tacticals would also be worth checking out. The Nitecore has a fully adjustable ramp and the Quark is a simpler (but programmable) two-level system.

There's another similar thread on the go at the moment which you might want to take a look at:

Help finding a tactical flashlight (White, red, green filters)

DM51

Flashaholic
Re: Pilot LED Light Recommendation Request

Thanks for that link, Moonshadow. The 2 threads are similar, so I'm merging them.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, your right.

The little red/green/white light is more than enough for in-cockpit activities and there is very little reason I would need the power of a better light while in-cockpit (it would only blind me).
I guess I got hung up on an "all-in-one" light.

Im checking out the solarforce lights right now, as they seem to be pretty good build quality and exceptional value.

Thanks a ton, search and everyone from CPF :party:

I personally would rather have the Inova NForce if I were in your situation. One light to keep track of and betteries in.

At the same time though, a small pocket light and a bigger light in a holster would be a cheap and easy to use setup.

With your budget, and I know where you come from, it would be easier now. In the future though, you can open up to new ideas.

investinwaffles

Newly Enlightened
I should have mentioned that. Im looking at a solarforce L2 or 3 for my primary, and the ASA multicolor light for my in-cockpit light as a temporary solution.

When my bank account allows I will deff, pick up the INForce as it is drool tastic. :thumbsup: