question about lake with phone poles in it

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Those aren't phone lines, they're high-voltage power lines. Putting them on a bridge might be problematic should they blow down in a storm. At least here if anything happens to them only the fishes will get fried. I'll admit it looks bizarre seeing poles right in the middle of the lake.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not very high voltage by the look of the insulators. They're pretty short.
4160V maybe? Typical residential distribution voltage.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah. Definitely. And still lots of dead fish too!
When I was doing some work for the TVA, they have a pumped storage facility that has a 500kV switchyard. The insulators/bushings were 22ft long. They wouldn't let us out there when it was foggy out.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have the same thing here. The St. lawrence river by Montreal has a strip separated by levee to allow ship through without navigate the current, the power lines poles were built on neither the levee (which is a bike path) nor shore, but in the middle of the canal.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
"Well this is where the plans say to put the pole, I don't make the rules.."

Pole2.jpg

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol, i belive that, if you call a power or phone comp to relocate their pole, you'll be waiting years, in this case it'll be a lot faster if a truck "accedentaly" knocks it down,
amount of paperwork and permits to relocate poles is just unbelivable, pbly weights more than pole itself

Last edited:

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not very high voltage by the look of the insulators. They're pretty short.
4160V maybe? Typical residential distribution voltage.

4160/2400 is not common for distribution anymore. There could be some small patches of old distribution that have not been upgraded in rural areas, but, typical low distribution voltages are now 12500/7200 or 13800/8000. The latter seems to be becoming the standard.

4160 is common in industrial plants were very large motors are used. We've installed 4160 driven pumps in processing plants.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
heh... remind me not to apply my application to your company if this was your boss's idea of a performance video:ohgeez:

Scenes from a basic Safety video. Often shown to security guards and factory workers.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
4160/2400 is not common for distribution anymore. There could be some small patches of old distribution that have not been upgraded in rural areas, but, typical low distribution voltages are now 12500/7200 or 13800/8000. The latter seems to be becoming the standard.

4160 is common in industrial plants were very large motors are used. We've installed 4160 driven pumps in processing plants.
Maybe not common in new installations, but have a look at the insulator lengths on poles. a 13kV insulator is easily as long as your forearm. a 2400/4160 insulator is a short stubby little thing. I live in New England. There's a LOT of old infrastructure here, thus LOTS of 4160.
The motor/generators at that pumped storage facility ar 23kV. I was walking past the Air Blast circuit breakers when they opened one day. Startled me so badly I dropped my briefcase.:crackup:

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe not common in new installations, but have a look at the insulator lengths on poles. a 13kV insulator is easily as long as your forearm. a 2400/4160 insulator is a short stubby little thing. I live in New England. There's a LOT of old infrastructure here, thus LOTS of 4160.
The motor/generators at that pumped storage facility ar 23kV. I was walking past the Air Blast circuit breakers when they opened one day. Startled me so badly I dropped my briefcase.:crackup:
You can't judge voltage by insulators! I've seen 69Kv sub trans. stuff that transits from large pole multi saucer to smaller poles with short cap and pin insulators. Our 12.6/13.8Kv stuff is on poles that look like this:
pole.jpg

Those expulsion fuses protect underground feeders and sound like a cannon when they pop.

Last edited:

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks, i appreciate all the replys about the electrical "aspect" of my post. though when i said "phone pole" i merely ment "poles" I came across the picture while i was looking at jetskis. Lots of info here

thanks

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the poles were there first. Easy to run wires on a bridge. Hard to run traffic over wires.

:buddies: