The New Pilot Whale, LED Hand Cannons and The Birth of a Flashaholic

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi team, the purpose of this thread is three-fold:
1. To talk a bit about my impressions (but not quite review) of the Pilot Whale light from Wolf Eyes.
2. To tell my Superhero/Flashaholic Origin Story.
3. To continue my ongoing meditation and thoughts about the "new" generation of these LED hand cannons, which were our wildest dreams just a few years ago.

Wattnot
did a gorgeous job with a full review here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/236315

I started to write this reply there, then realized it was getting terribly off topic, so I thought it deserved a thread of its own. So here goes:

I got my Pilow Whale today via USPS Express mail--very nice!

Nice packaging, lanyard included (the metal connector feels a little bit skimpy for such a big light though...), charger included which elegantly plugs right into the fully-loaded and fully-charged (thanks guys!) magazine. This is a very elegant system, second only to the Pelican 7060's where you just click the light into a charger.

Fit and finish are very good; all metal, feels solid but not too heavy. The Al is actually fairly light and thin, I'd say it's just about right. My Ostar is slightly off center, but not terribly so and this doesn't appear to affect the beam (see below).

The size of the handle is fairly large; I have medium-sized hands and it's at the upper limit of comfort; smaller hands might have a harder time holding this one comfortably.

The clicky feels good and the UI is pretty nice. It's not as solid feeling as a 1-stage clicky (like the Fenix TK11 for example), but I trust it so far. The tailcap lockout seems fine and natural, just a tiny 1/4 turn and lockout is good.

Ooookay... so turn it on and... BAM! 100% power is beautiful, creamy white with just a touch of green. I'm VERY sensitive to green so I see it but it's not enough to bother me, so I'd say this is a very nice color. The beam shape is lovely; smooth and floody without a super crisp cut off to the hotspot; very smooth and even and no sign of a donut hole! (this could be one of the best features of the 6-die LED!).

It is bright but I will say that it makes me think about the following crazy thing: a 60 watt incandescent bulb puts out somewhere around 800 lumens... That is to say, these sufficiently floody beams are great at lighting a room, but make you feel a little bit like taking the lampshade off the lamp and walking around with it! :crazy:

This is not a bad thing per se, but it lit up the room so nicely and so--how to say it without making it sound bad--so, naturally like a lamp, that it was almost a little anticlimactic.

Comparing this to the EagleTac M2 and M2X (I have and love both), there is no doubt that as I mature as a flashaholic, I learn to appreciate new subtleties every day. There is no doubt now that beam characteristic means a lot. When I was a young flashaholic, I was only interested in the number, the power. Now I see the light... hee hee hee...

Okay, so comparing it to the M2 series, I have to say a few things:
-M2 tint is a bit warmer in both my lights (M2 and M2X) which makes a difference indoor and out (for the better)
-The weight/balance and grip of the EagleTacs is superior for me. I love the feel of the EagleTac in my hand and the double-barrel is smaller which makes it easier to hold. I feel like the PW could slip out more easily, especially if wet.
-The user interface of the EagleTacs is something to write home about. Well, especially with the clicky in place (which apparently gives you automatic lockout from parasitic drain-correct me if I'm wrong), the combo of click for full power and then selector ring for dialing in the brightness is important and, to me, revolutionary. It really makes me appreciate the brilliance of the EagleTacs!
-M2 beam profile (the P7) is a bit tighter which makes for a more concentrated spot and overall, it does feel just a smidge brighter, but again, it's hard to say since remember: a 60W light bulb is also technically "brighter" than the M2!
-The M2X with the triple Cree seems super bright compared to the PW. This is of course because it is concentrating most of the power to the center spot which appears as a blisteringly bright area. Confession: in simulating "bump in the night" scenarios, I like the Triple Cree the best. It gives the cleanest illumination where I want it, super bright, but then a decent spill to show me around the area. One realizes how important lux is in our sense of brightness

So, in sum, I like it a lot and it will be one of my "bump in the night lights" for which it is greatly overqualified... but, I am sad to say, if I had to chose, I'd have bought another EagleTac for $100 cheaper.

Now this "bump in the night" stuff relates to a story...2 years ago (almost to the day) I had an experience which awakened my inner flashaholic... and here's the story of my origin as a flashlight fiend...

In late June of 2007, we had a guy break into our apartment in the night while our 6 month old baby was sleeping in the crib next to our bed. Long story short, my wife actually heard the window pop and thought something fell off a shelf; she went to see what fell and there was a guy climbing into the window (it had been locked; he used a crowbar to pop the locks right off).

She screamed and I bolted up but realized that we had turned off the room light at the lamp source for some reason--which was on the other side of the bed--so the switch was already on but it was pitch black. So I groped for the lamp while my wife is screaming: "THERE IS SOMEONE IN THE HOUSE" and I'm still groggy and it's PITCH BLACK in the room (since we were trying to get the baby to settle down) and the lamp falls over... so now my blood is pumping but I can't see so I stumble into the hallway and for whatever reason we just can't seem to find the telephone to call the police--it was a portable phone and was not where it was supposed to be... and she's screaming and I'm running to the room but trying to figure out if there are OTHER guys in the house and I'm getting tunnel vision and frankly starting to feel like I'm in a bad dream. [By the way, all this happened in about 6 seconds from wakeup in deep REM sleep].

So finally we turn on some lights, we're both screaming, the baby is screaming, we find the phone, dial 911 and I grab a kitchen knife to defend the family if there is another guy in the house. Thank goodness, no one else was and the guy who was climbing in ran away*.

After that night I got religion. Now, many of my friends (many of whom are cops) said with bravado: "I'd love it if some damn fool came into my house," and the like. And, for some of these tough guys, I'm not doubting that they would actually like it. But let me tell you, when you're in a deep sleep, peaceful on a Friday night, and your wife and infant kid is next to you, this is the farthest thing from "cool". You just don't know what you are up against.

So after that, I decided that we needed LOTS of flashlights in easy-to-reach places, nightlights in every room and hallway, a light around my neck at all times (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/231369), portable phones in each room and an alarm. I also keep a baseball bat handy just in case...(...we want to hit some balls at the batting cage, your Honor!)

Okay, this thread is ****oo. I'm ****oo. But the last part is a brief section about how I'm a spoiled brat. When I first started in this forum, I remember that 100lumens was POTENT:huh: for an LED. Now our AA lights can approach this! We're all getting spoiled, but I think that's okay. We're looking to push the limits. How much light and how many features can we get out of a tiny battery and LED? I am very excited about the next wave of small lights with BIG output. I think that HKJ really liking the Olight M30 among this group of hand cannons speaks volumes about the importance of a compact, well-designed light. While I want a hand cannon, I would like to to fit in my hand. So lots of exciting stuff on the horizon and I can't think of a better bunch of folks to explore it with and share it with than you guys!
lovecpf

Thanks for reading!

*Footnote: The footnote here is that he ran off so fast that he dropped his car keys and his cell phone! We, using our CSI tactics, picked up the phone in a plastic bag and went through some of the photos and text messages: pictures of presumably stolen jewelry and messages about various jobs! Alas, when the Boston PD finally came by to get the evidence 2 days later, the battery was apparently dead and nothing ever came of it and the guy was never caught to my knowledge. Scared the crap outta me, however.

Last edited:

dirtech

Enlightened
Great story. It was fear of bears that got me started. Its almost laughable the size of the light i bought to light my way to the generator at night. I think any of my tiny lights kicks its butt now.

litetube

Enlightened
Great story.

And unfortunately speaks volumes about law enforcement in the state of Massachusetts. To think the Boston PD had evidence available that would have lead right to the scumbags doorstep and DIDNT USE IT!!! Obviously with the pics on the phone and such this jerk has and will continue his crime spree. And they could have stopped it right there. But the phone died, I guess what should we expect them to do ? It's not like they can go out and buy a charger on the tax payers dime, that would be outrageous to waste taxpayer money !!! Better to just stick it in a bag in evidence and pull the sub shop menu out of the desk and decide what to get for lunch today. I have NO faith in local or state police or the justice system having similar experiences with them in the past . A scare in the dark is probably a motivator for a lot of flashaholics on here, me included!!!
One thing to remember, the police "protect and serve" the community not the individual. We are on our own in these situations , I think many have a false sense of security nowadays and think there will always be a gov't "cavalry" there to save us.

I myself have been on the verge of getting an Olight M30 but am really looking forward to single cell hand cannons to hit the market. I am tiring of having to maintain the charge on mulitple lights with multiple battery configs on a daily basis. I long for the day of a light which will put out say 400lumens for 3-4 hours on a single battery!!!!

Thanx for the story and opinions, good read!!!

Phos4

Newly Enlightened
heh heh heh

i could tell you about some serious sh** that happened in the dark.

you wouldn't want to hear it.

good story and good moral, the boyscouts have been saying it for years: be prepared!

a big powerful light is a good thing to have in the home and near the bed. there's a reason many cops carry big d-cell mag lights. now you guys got these lights that are so bright they can blind a man practically or burn his eyes right out. when i saw the sh** we had these crappy military issue incan lights that might as well have been a match in the dark.

thing i like about the pilot whale is that its big and beefy. but those eagletacs look good too, might have to pick one up. nice post and thanks for a good story.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys, I appreciate the support.

dirtech, did you ever have any run-ins with those bears? :faint:

kaichu dento, I agree: we need more "Flashaholic Origin Stories" here! :laughing:

litetube, I must say I agree on all counts. We felt incredibly ignored after that since our neighborhood (Jamaica Plain) was in the middle of a big crime spree. After that, I concluded just what you said: the cops are there for society but not for us in particular. We have to protect ourselves (and our friends/families/neighbors, of course!). The best part was how the neighborhood came together and supported each other after that. The Olight M30 seems like a great light... but I do think cool stuff is coming soon!

Phos4, we'd love to hear some of those stories! Did you get a Pilot Whale?

CPF members, let's hear your Origin stories!

Archie Cruz

Banned
I'd like to get the Pilot Whale for my magazine, but I may have to wait a bit. I love the "let's pepper our world with flashlights" part because I've believed that for a long time and practice it religiously. People are amazed that I can pretty much reach a flashlight anywhere that I am. Of course, a Lumi Wee hangs around my neck 23/7 (not in the shower). And that happens to be my go to light. Everywhere else I have lights too. I Actually use the high power ones very little except at work ( Photo/Video) mostly I prefer the ultra low variable power ones for snooping around the house at night.:D

recDNA

Flashaholic
Great story.

And unfortunately speaks volumes about law enforcement in the state of Massachusetts. To think the Boston PD had evidence available that would have lead right to the scumbags doorstep and DIDNT USE IT!!! Obviously with the pics on the phone and such this jerk has and will continue his crime spree. And they could have stopped it right there. But the phone died, I guess what should we expect them to do ? It's not like they can go out and buy a charger on the tax payers dime, that would be outrageous to waste taxpayer money !!! Better to just stick it in a bag in evidence and pull the sub shop menu out of the desk and decide what to get for lunch today. I have NO faith in local or state police or the justice system having similar experiences with them in the past . A scare in the dark is probably a motivator for a lot of flashaholics on here, me included!!!
One thing to remember, the police "protect and serve" the community not the individual. We are on our own in these situations , I think many have a false sense of security nowadays and think there will always be a gov't "cavalry" there to save us.

I myself have been on the verge of getting an Olight M30 but am really looking forward to single cell hand cannons to hit the market. I am tiring of having to maintain the charge on mulitple lights with multiple battery configs on a daily basis. I long for the day of a light which will put out say 400lumens for 3-4 hours on a single battery!!!!

Thanx for the story and opinions, good read!!!

Heck, forget about crimes that need to be investigated! (If you want to call taking finger prints and tracing a cell phone "investigating". On CSI on TV this one is solved in 10 mins. In real life it gets sent to the state police lab and results come back a year later). There are plenty of KNOWN felons out there that don't get picked up until they get caught in the act of their NEXT crime. NO time to go and find em I guess.

As for MY birth as a flashaholic I've loved flashlights since I was a kid but thought Maglites were top of the line before stumbling onto this forum. My first quality light was the TK40 because I was used to the 2 X DD size flashlights and wanted the 600 lumens with a common battery type. Now I love small flashlights with MC-E emitters. I could care less about throw and color rendition (I LIKE blue light) because I'm not an outdoorsy type (so I know some here won't consider me a TRUE flashaholic). I like something that lights up a room. Blinding bad guys is just a plus!

Last edited:

Greg G

Enlightened
Someone comes in my house....the light that will get shined on them is my Surefire M500 mounted on a Colt carbine.

If he's armed and intended to do harm....shame on him. If he's not he gets held until the police arrive.

One point about super bright lights when you're eyes are night adapted.....you turn that thing on you had better hope it is a reliable light and does not quit working because your night adapted vision goes out the window as soon as you click the light on. If the light quits working you're blind.

You'd be surprised how well a room is illuminated with a light set on the low setting. And if you want to turn it off your night vision is still pretty good.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
... I prefer the ultra low variable power ones for snooping around the house at night.:D

Nice! The older I get the more I find myself being drawn to these lower levels as well... Currently I use my TiFli to get around at night which is just perfection. I also just got a Zebralight H501 which is pure heaven! I am walking around with it on my head like a goof ball but just loving it! It's like having night vision!

Heck, forget about crimes that need to be investigated! (If you want to call taking finger prints and tracing a cell phone "investigating". On CSI on TV this one is solved in 10 mins. In real life it gets sent to the state police lab and results come back a year later). There are plenty of KNOWN felons out there that don't get picked up until they get caught in the act of their NEXT crime. NO time to go and find em I guess.

As for MY birth as a flashaholic I've loved flashlights since I was a kid but thought Maglites were top of the line before stumbling onto this forum. My first quality light was the TK40 because I was used to the 2 X DD size flashlights and wanted the 600 lumens with a common battery type. Now I love small flashlights with MC-E emitters. I could care less about throw and color rendition (I LIKE blue light) because I'm not an outdoorsy type (so I know some here won't consider me a TRUE flashaholic). I like something that lights up a room. Blinding bad guys is just a plus!

Yeah, I guess we were just hoping that they would have been able to look at all the text messages, calls and photos of stolen jewelry and put things together... oh well... like you say, I guess there is not enough time.

I love the TK40 adn am super excited about 4sevens' new MC-E color light coming!

One point about super bright lights when you're eyes are night adapted.....you turn that thing on you had better hope it is a reliable light and does not quit working because your night adapted vision goes out the window as soon as you click the light on. If the light quits working you're blind.

You'd be surprised how well a room is illuminated with a light set on the low setting. And if you want to turn it off your night vision is still pretty good.
100% agree!

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, flashlights are great tools, but you forgot the most important thing you need in your home: a GUN!

Get yourself the best pistol or shotgun you can buy and equip it with a dedicate SureFire Weapon Light, that's all you need.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
*Footnote: The footnote here is that he ran off so fast that he dropped his car keys and his cell phone! We, using our CSI tactics, picked up the phone in a plastic bag and went through some of the photos and text messages: pictures of presumably stolen jewelry and messages about various jobs! Alas, when the Boston PD finally came by to get the evidence 2 days later, the battery was apparently dead and nothing ever came of it and the guy was never caught to my knowledge. Scared the crap outta me, however.

I didnt read this whole post but why cant the PD go to a cell phone store and charge up the cell phone? seems a bit of a crap job on their part not to go and charge the phone to view it...

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, flashlights are great tools, but you forgot the most important thing you need in your home: a GUN!

Get yourself the best pistol or shotgun you can buy and equip it with a dedicate SureFire Weapon Light, that's all you need.
I'd feel better with one but wife's an ER doc and has seen one too many cases of innocent kids getting into "well-hidden/well-secured" guns in the house... firearms are banned from our home, for better or for worse...

I didnt read this whole post but why cant the PD go to a cell phone store and charge up the cell phone? seems a bit of a crap job on their part not to go and charge the phone to view it...
:hairpull: I know it! We called the detective on the case every few days for a few weeks and then he kind of got mad at us... and that was the end... Meanwhile, there were several more breakins in the neighborhood in the next few weeks...