Help! Spacer needed for under heatsink...

netprince

Enlightened
I have stayed up too late tonite finishing a nice little 1D neutral MCE. So far I am pleased, but the heatsink needs to be lifted about 1-2mm for optimal focus.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
What heatsink is it?
Mag host I assume?
Is the heatsink dropped in over the bulb tower or it that removed?

You could add a few screws into the bottom of the sink. Look for screws that have the head thickness you need.
Just an idea. Good luck!

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
One solution I've used in the past is to make the heatsink fit the Mag tube tighter so it has to be forced in and will stay where you put it. Then you just don't insert it all the way, leaving it sticking up the extra 1-2 mm you need. The way I've made it tighter is to drive a center punch into the edge of the heatsink at 3 ezually spaced spots around the outside edge of the heatsink. When the punch drives into the aluminum, it slightly raises a dimple around the punch. Most sinks fit pretty closely so it doesn't take much to get them so tight that you have to force in the sink. Just don't drive it too deep because it can be a real pain to get out if it's too tight and gets driven down too low.

netprince

Enlightened
Thanks guys. For now I just wrapped a wire around the heatsink pretty tight and soldered it. We'll see how long that lasts...