First informed EDC, LD10 or L1T?

Rossko

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

New flashaholic here. Looking to make my first enlightened EDC purchase. Have always had a dinky keychain light on me and after some research around CPF, I'm ready to purchase a real EDC. I've got it narrowed down to the LD10 and the L1T from Fenix. Right now I'm leaning towards the L1T because of the runtime, but not too sure between the two. I could certainly see owning both although I'd like to get a good starter light so I'd know what I'd want on the next purchase:grin2:. I don't use my light on a daily basis, but I just moved to the downtown area and the streetlights are lacking, so I could certainly see using it on the weekends. Any advice or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I'd definitely go for the L1T, cycling through modes on that LD10 would drive me absolutely :sick2:.

However, I have neither (I'm not generally inclined toward Fenix modes and UI's). I'm sure you'll hear from folks who have used both shortly. But I did want to get the first :welcome: in.

The L1T does look very nice though, an adequate low and a good high, without the other ... modes. ;)

My two lumens,
K

Last edited:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
i have no experience with them.

but i think if you are set that you will buy one of those two.

then i think it only comes down to these facts:
1. do you need a multimode or are you ok with on/off type light?
2. do you need a low mode (good for reading or walking around the house in pitch black without blinding yourself.)
3. do you need the sos/strobe modes to make cars etc to "see you better" on the side of the road.
4. multimode like ld10 does have longer runtimes on lower modes.. one really dont need all that much output every time :)

do you need it to be a 1cell light so its convinient to carry in pocket.. if you only casually use it while walking outside and hold it in your hand most of the time you carry it with you.. then 2AA light might be better.

i find longer lights more convinient to use for longer time.. on brief stints (few minutes) the 1cell light is ok. longer it gets little tiring to hold it.. well thats my personal thought anyway.

do you need a pocket clip? guess not as you chose those fenix lights as your options.

hope you are aware that some companies offer discounts to cpf users.. like 4sevens gives 8%

and while you are there.. look at their own new release of quark flashlights (to me they sound upgraded fenix lights by their specs)

if you are only going to use it outside.. then think about warmer tint led flashlights.. they are rare but they do reproduce colors more "naturally" than normal cool white leds. so they are more similar to incan tints that most people are used to.

HeadCSO

Enlightened
Unless you intend to use the extra modes of the LD10, the L1T represents better value for money.

Despite all the new lights out there, the L1T is still a great light with a nice simple interface. If needed, you can always add a 2AA body later for versatility.

thedeske

Enlightened
Agree with HeadCSO

I have an LD10 & it's great for a AA light, but the difference between high and turbo is nano in the real world. You can see it up close, but not outside or in a big room.

I'm spoiled with the PD30 which has real power with 2X 123. The PD20 is interesting with a nice range and smaller than the LD lights. There are times when i have to remind myself the LD is just 1 AA and it's on an eneloop, so I'm using a small amount of energy to run it. Really small. OK, the LD01 wins by a hair ;)

I have no doubt the other lights mentioned here are quality products. If they were not, you can bet the members would jump on every fault. There's much competition in this size. I happen to like the Fenix design, and my first few all exhibit the same quality and feel.

The L1T looks like a great light and a little less money than the newer LD10 - There's something to be said about simple UI.

Last edited:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went through the same thought process when trying to decide on the L1D or L1T. In the end, I decided that if I didn't want to be bothered cycling through the modes, I could always use the L1D in only low and max by twisting the head, same as the L1T. And the extra modes would be there if I ever needed them.

That being said, I use the L1D/L2D all the time, and the mode changing is never a problem. (starting to wish they were forward-click though...may need to add the L1T tailcap!)

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you intend to use the extra modes of the LD10, the L1T represents better value for money.

Despite all the new lights out there, the L1T is still a great light with a nice simple interface. If needed, you can always add a 2AA body later for versatility.

I have both (LD10 and LGX200) and I agree with HeadSCO. If you really need the modes of the LD10 (lo, med, high, strobe, SOS) then by all means go for it. The L1T is very simple, has 2 modes with a forward clicky.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
. . . with a forward clicky.

That might indeed be the most important difference for you to consider. The "reverse clicky" on lights like the LD10 requires you to click the switch and let it go again before you get any light out. This can be really annoying.

The forward clicky on the other hand lights up as soon as you press down, meaning that you can flash the light on briefly, as well as clicking fully to latch it on. Much more useful.

This might not sound that important, and will depend on how you want to use the light - but if you get the wrong one it can drive you nuts. I've personally made a vow not to buy any more lights with reverse clickies.

The only way to really decide if this is a big deal for you would be if you could get your hands on one of each to try them out.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I tried to be satisfied with a 1AA light. But nothing with a UI I like AND can take 14500 has come my way.

I EDC a P2D. As they come yes they have reverse switch, but this makes perfect sense with the Fenix UI. Click and release and low. Bump to medium. Bump again to high, twist to turbo.

Only thing I can think MIGHT be better for me is Quark AA.

But P2D rides in holster when I'm in jeans or front pocket in slacks. And it's MY perfect light.

Forward switch and multi mode doesn't REALLY make it unless the modes are Loose head low/general and tight head high/turbo like TK10 or P10C2.

I don't even REALLY like the forward switch of my ConneXion V1 because when it's in a given mode you have to click off to change.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome! I agree with what a lot of what has already been said. If you like simple get the L1T if you need the added modes get the LD10. If you don't mind the raised button maybe look at the Quark AA tactical. The good thing about it is you can program the levels to suit your tastes. Check it out the video and info here.

Last edited:

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say get the L1T v2, unless you really want strobe and SOS, and like the reverse clicky on the LD10.

The L1T is plenty birght enough for a 1 x AA light, and has nice tint with the Q2 emitter (at least mine does...no blue, almost neutral). The forward clicky is very nice, but not so light that it comes on in my pocket.

If you want 2 x AA output and increased runitme, you can get an L1D or LD10 2 x AA battery tube for it. If you want to pocket it, but aren't satisfied with the "high" brightness, you can get a P2D or PD20 body tube AND tailcap for it, though I don't think you'll get much more than 45 minutes on high before it drops out of regulation on 1 x CR123 cell, from what I've read from other users.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in a similar position. I've carried a purple minimag (with LED upgrade) on my belt for the last 10 years or so and have just recently decided to get a "real" flashlight for EDC.

I decided I wanted a 1xAA platform (compromise between power and size...wasn't comfortable with the runtime of a 1xAAA, and had already decided the 2xAA minimag was larger than I wanted). Also, I've already got AA rechargeables for the camera, so CR123s weren't appealing.

I narrowed it down to the Quark AA and the Liteflux LF5xt.

I finally ordered the Quark neutral tint based not on the flashlight capabilities (either would probably do just fine), but on the accessories that came with it. I figured if I end up not liking the Quark, then I'll have a holster (and some other bits) that might work on whatever flashlight I decide to replace the Quark with.

Can't wait to get it...

shark_za

Enlightened
Funny how people follow the same learning curves.

I got my first good light about 10 years ago, Surefire 6P.
So this has burnt the forward on switch into my method of operation.
I recently got into LED lights and have gone from a few D cell maglites to about 20 quality LED's in a month or two.

I just got a LD10 and really enjoy it as its something new and my first multimode light. My only other reverse clicky is a Solarforce L2 and the multimode LED for that is arriving today. I think its horrible having a single mode in a reverse click switch.

I wish the local importer got the L1T's in as it would have saved me some time and money. They only do the L1D and now LD10. I got the LD10 because it was there and available to take immediately.
I think I will prefer the L1T for its switch configuration with the same two start modes on the LD10.
I found the Leatherman/Fenix L1T re-branded combo for sale online and I am waiting for it to arrive. What a bargain. Light and tool for the price of either one.

I think its going to make a better light to daily carry with a small compact firearm (alloy 38) as its the same operations as my 6PL and 6PDL.
I can still use it for everyday tasks in low.

For camping I can see the LD10 being in my pocket, though. I am trying to source a LD20 body for extended runtimes for this purpose. Although the multimode Solarforce with 2x 18650 is going to be the main camp light I see the LD10/20 filling a great all the time or backup main light job.
The only use I ever foresee for the strobe is as a warning beacon if I had to change a flat while travelling or broken down on the side of the road.

So get both ;)

Egsise

Banned
I was in a hunting trip for four days, I must say that I did not use my LD10 more than few minutes.
Everything was so ugly blue and "flat" outdoors, luckily I had Fenix TK20 and Quark AA neutral white with me.

But when I came back, Quark is the one that I dont use, it has no anti-roll feature and the clip sucks.
So I'll carry LD10 in my belt if I'm home, if I go hunting I'll take my Quark neutral white with me.

corvettesR1

Enlightened
Thanks for the interesting post. Ive been thinking about either of these lights as well.

Bort

Newly Enlightened
I think the LD10 is hard to beat for a pocket light. I also use the Fenix headband with 2 L1t lights while working in the garage on hot rod stuff. Works great.