Need a new flashlight (newbie here)

j5tar

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I am looking around for a brand new flashlight but I absolutely have no knowledge about the brands etc... What is the BRIGHTEST, best quality flashlight I can buy (I don't care about the size as long as it's the brightest)? My budget is around $100 but no more than $150. Also, what kind of batteries and chargers are the best to buy from such as the 18640 or CR123 or whatever they are called???

Thanks

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix TK40 might be worth checking out. It is damn bright, or so I'm told, and if you use the cpf user discount it will run you under 150. Also, as a newbie, you might appreciate that it runs off common AA batteries.

j5tar

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, those flashlights look awesome. What are the quality and reliability of them? What are the chances/ how often do the LED burn out and is it replaceable? Also, anything I can find under $100 and under $50??

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a budget of $150, I'd go with the Jetbeam M1X. Of course, you'd pay a little more once you get batteries and a charger. For an all-in-one package, get the Sunlite 8w Far Projection.

For a budget of $100, I'd go with the Fenix TK11 R2.

For a budget of $50, go with the MG RX-1.

Well.....at least that's what I'd get... :):D

Good selections.
For $150, how about Tiablo A10-G? (actually, it's $132 before less)
Do you know if Sunlite has updated their drivers yet?

jankj

Enlightened
Hi, I am looking around for a brand new flashlight but I absolutely have no knowledge about the brands etc... What is the BRIGHTEST, best quality flashlight I can buy (I don't care about the size as long as it's the brightest)? My budget is around $100 but no more than $150. Also, what kind of batteries and chargers are the best to buy from such as the 18640 or CR123 or whatever they are called???

Thanks

Brigthest bang-for-the-buck would probably be the Stanley HID searchlight. Around $60-70 from walmart (not all shops have them) or amazon.com. High quality? Check out the discussion of this light in the searchlight/HID section of CPF. My guess is that quality is good enough for most amateur applications where it is feasible to drag this thing along. Battery of the Stanley is essentially a miniaturized version of your cars battery, i.e. lead, which is probably the heaviest compound you could use to make batteries. (Upside of lead battery is price (cheap) and that it is reliable, safe and well tested, well proven technology).

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
Good selections.
For $150, how about Tiablo A10-G? (actually, it's $132 before less)
Do you know if Sunlite has updated their drivers yet?

To the best of my knowledge, they have updated the 16wFP driving current. Supposed to be around 4A now. :eek:

Any 16wFP's purchased now will be the updated version. For those who have the original 16w, I think you can send it in and for a small fee, they will upgrade it. May want to email them first to be sure.......

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix TK40 when one has good charger for Ni-Mh already (and wants to deal with too many small batts)

Jetbeam M1X for the best overall, with 2*18650 and a quad-led.

why led?
--> good dimmability, which Halogen does not offer good and HID lacks completely

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
Great suggestions so far. I would just throw in the Olight M30. As bright as the ACE-G and with features I like more. If you want best bang for the buck go with the EagleTac M2XC4 or a Ultrafire RL-2088. I believe there is a beam shot comparison between these monsters here somewhere. Look in the threads with the "Hey, I got my RL-2088, bla bla bla...". I think there are two threads out here like that. Be sure to get one that you like the size shape and features, not just the "brightest". Usually that light makes you the happiest.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
To the best of my knowledge, they have updated the 16wFP driving current. Supposed to be around 4A now. :eek:

Any 16wFP's purchased now will be the updated version. For those who have the original 16w, I think you can send it in and for a small fee, they will upgrade it. May want to email them first to be sure.......

Good good.... :devil: Thanks.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seriously doubt that ANY of these LEDs will "burn out" in the lifetime of the light. LEDs last thousands upon thousands of hours, so they will not burn out unless you happen to get a bad LED. I am pretty sure that any decent company will replace your light if the LED dies.
The best non-hobby charger for 18650s is probably the PILA IBC. It is $50, but it is much higher quality than the cheap ultrafire chargers. It Also charges the cells properly, and terminates the charge when it should.

j5tar

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, I am stuck between the Jetbeam M1X and the Eagletac M2XC4 (what tint is the best?) because I want the brightest and good throw. Also, where is the cheapest place to buy them including shipping (must ship to Canada)? Are there any discounts for being a CPF member?

Last edited:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
The T10C2 is no longer made; it was replaced by the T10LC2. Even though it is among the brightest single LED lights, it has less output than the multi die and multi LED lights that the OP was looking at.

Toaster

Enlightened
You can order Eagletac lights from 4Sevens' Canadian site here. Use code CPF8 for 8% discount. Prices include shipping + tax and no need to deal with customs.

j5tar

Newly Enlightened
You can order Eagletac lights from 4Sevens' Canadian site here. Use code CPF8 for 8% discount. Prices include shipping + tax and no need to deal with customs.

Thanks, a couple more questions, which is better, M2C4 or M2XC4? Also a question about the warranty.

Eagletac Warranty For repair or replacement, contact us with your order number of the light in question.
We honor Eagletac's warranty for all Eagletac lights sold through our store. Eagletac warrants our flashlights to be free from defective workmanship and material for the lifetime of the light in the possession of the original owner. We will repair, replace, or refund your original purchase price if the light is determined by us to be defective.
Normal wear and tear including batteries draining is not covered, nor is damage resulting from abuse, neglect, battery leakage, use of non-Eagletac accessories, or altering of this product from its original state.

-Will they still replace the LEDs if it burns out right???
-Can we use batteries such as Trustfire/Ultrafire from Dealextreme?

Last edited: