Why are all Selector-rings on the head?

Stephan_L

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody,

if someone is asking me, the User Interface of the Blackhawk Gladius / Insight Typhoon was the best UI for tactical applications. It provided full one handed operation and each owner I know was very satisfied with those lights. It's a shame that Insight did not took this flashlight and kept it up to date.

I think the Inova Inforce has the same UI (or at least quite the same) today, but also their (official) specs do not make me pay more than 200 EURO for an Inova Inforce White. And there where some QC problems when it was released (see different discussions on CPF about that).

What comes closest to the great UI of the Blackhawk nowadays are the selector-rings. I know four manufacturers who build flashlights with selector-rings:

- surefire: U2 Ultra
- Fenix: TA-series
- Nightcore: SR3
- Jetbeam: RRT 1 and RRT 2

But all of them do make the same mistake:

They place the selector-ring at the head of the flashlight.

This way, one-handed operation, the most vital aspect of low-light-tactical application when using multiple-mode-flashlights, is disabled (see my review of the TA20 for example).

Why does none of those manufacturers think about that? Why do they all make the same mistake? Will we see a flashlight that comes with the Selector-ring on the tailcap in the near future?

All of the flashlights now available with selector-ring are a good basic for a tactical flashlight, there are just little adjustments to do.

I am still waiting! :popcorn::popcorn::sleepy::sleepy::toilet::toilet::popcorn::popcorn:

Regards,

Stephan

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think most manufacturers do that because it keeps all the light circuitry in the head unit. The only thing in the tail cap is a typical on/off, no smart circuitry typically. Sorry no suggestions, just that thought:sick:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
While you always can discuss the selection ring in the tailcap for real tactical use, most users probably preffer them under the head, I do!

I think, if you use them in a tactical way, you go to high power first, then to tactical mode...

HKJ

Flashaholic
It is due to electrical connections, if you put the selector ring on the tail you either need a extra connection (Like LiteFlux with a double tube) or to use pwm (Like OLight M30).

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI, Urnabeam has tailcap selector ring (or at least a selector by twisting the cap) as an option.

I don't know much about the reliability/quality of the Urnabeam products though.

Stephan_L

Newly Enlightened
@ euroken:

Can you tell me what urnabeam - model has the tailcap selector-ring. I vistied their homepage and could find none.

Thx,

Stephan

FLT MEDIC

Newly Enlightened
Blackhawk applied for a patent for the Gladius selector ring and contactless switch features that's why other companies don't copy those designs.

Stephan_L

Newly Enlightened
Hi FLT MEDIC,

OK, that's fine, but the Gladius is not up to date concerning output. I know, there are several mods to do out there, but I am not very talented in such things.

Why don't they bring out a new and actual version of the Gladius? I am sure, people would buy it!

Regards,

Stephan

JBorneu

Enlightened
Hi FLT MEDIC,
Why don't they bring out a new and actual version of the Gladius? I am sure, people would buy it!

An 18650 powered Gladius with a neutral / warm tinted LED. I'd buy it. I never looked into the Gladius before because I don't like CR123 cells, but this thread made me look at it again and I really like that user interface.