L6 porky clone (now w/ PICS!!!)

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally got my Fire Kylin LS6D aka L6 porcupine clone. It shipped July 3rd and was in "Foreign International Dispath" since July 6. it showed up today.

dsc0001hjl.jpg

Initial impressions is that it feels like a porcupine however the knurling has been smoothed a bit. The real porky has a "bite" to the aggressive knurling. Almost like it hurts to hold it.

Another major difference is the HAIII coloring. The clone is brown.

The Q5 in the clone is considerably brighter than my LuxV Xbin in my porky.

Good news, the clone is 100% SF compatible.

was able to swap the bezel ring with my STD KL6. Although the porky clone bezel has seized on my kl6. I will need to figure out what happened I might have cross threaded it.

Final thoughts: while the clone is not the L6 porcupine, it is a cheap alternative to the rare and expensive SF version. I was worried that the clone could be passed off as the porcupine. but any one who is serious enough to buy a real porky should know the differences between porkys. I like having the clone as a body double for EDC. Now my real porky can stay home safe and sound.

More pics further down.

Last edited:

Kenpcfl

Newly Enlightened
Re: L6 porky clone

I also received the Fire Kylin yesterday. I don't have a SF Porcupine to compare with --would never be able to justify the price.

My impressions of it, though, are positive. It looks intimidating and feels hefty in the hand. The LED has great throw, and looked to out-throw my Malkoff M60 against a tree line.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh cmon we can justify just about anything haha. The SF porky is a collctor piece plain and simple. It is the crown jewel of my SF collection. Next it is a tie with my Darpa turbo kroma and my SF strider knife/light combo.

But yeah FK LS6 D is a cheap alternative.

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast

I received my clone a week ago :D

My one has a ding around the bottom of the head
The anodizing is uneven on the tailcap
The anodizing on the body is different, to my eyes, it is more dull
The LE appears to be plastic and the three screws that secure it
appear to be Loctited in, which concerns me because of the lack of heatsinking .... I havent had the courage to attack the three screws yet :eek:

Its a shame that 18mm cells dont fit

My bezel was Loctited on but I managed to unscrew it with not much effort.

I was thinking about putting a MC-E or P7 in the clone :devil:

Kenpcfl

Newly Enlightened

Here's a pic of my just delivered FK. The color matching seems okay, and there are no obvious flaws.

1st time I posted pics -let me know if they are too big.

007: I look forward to your comparo pics to the SF porky.

001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

Over sized images removed

Last edited:

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

Try the clone head on the M6 body, it will seize. It will eat the SF M6 threads. The HA on the clone is weak, I'm pretty sure it is not HAIII.

The SW02 on the clone is rubbish. The contact spring is thin and contacts in it is not centered.

In my opinion, machining is great, but the o-ring and all is smashed up at the glass, quite ugly. And yeah this light can be taken out and be used, bang up and all scratch up. I am pretty sure it will hold up well despite the fact that it is a huge light, a 2-cell P60 can match its output.

Last edited:

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here are my pics

One thing i noticed was that the HA anno was spotty on the clone head. also when looked thru a 10X loupe, I can see hairline cracks all over the head.
dsc0001hjl.jpg

dsc0002gbm.jpg

dsc0005uar.jpg

Here you can see the Knurling of the Porky and the clone (the pic below the porky pic) You can see how the knurling is rounded off.

dsc0006osb.jpg

dsc0007nwj.jpg

dsc0009wbd.jpg

dsc0010aka.jpg

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the pics Solscud007 and Kenpcfl!:twothumbs

Looks like the clone might be a good lower cost alternative to a real SF Porky.

yep. That is exactly what it is. I got the strike beel to work after threading and unthreading to cut away the locktite from the KL6.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the pic's & write up, as for the light... I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder eh? :thinking:

Depends on what you are talking about. If you are saying that the L6 Porcupine is a work of art then yess I agree with you. Is imitation the best form of flattery? debateable. Do I like the L6 clone, sure but only for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

It is not a replacement for the SF Porky. But it is a good stunt double haha.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually TBH I don't like the aesthetics of either light at all, but yes you're right the clone would make a great stunt double :D

CGD08

Newly Enlightened
:thumbsup:Nice review and pics. Congrats on the light, both of you. I may get one later. :rolleyes:

You mind posting beam shots? As well as a pic of the lens? It has a stated "225 lumens" and can run "6 hours". Thanks.

Last edited: