how water proof is your nitecore extreme?

Jason ng

Newly Enlightened
here is the question to every nitecore extreme how water proof is your nitecore?

as a week ago after i came back from a fishing session my extreme r2 stink like hell so i drop it in into the basin for a dip with the light switch on for about 10min and a day later when using it i notice a that the beam is different so upon closer inspection i found that there water droplet inside the lens and was quite dissappointed coz my very old and abuse fenix dont have that problem.

althought the water droplet dry up after afew day but u can still notice water stain on the len.

so to further investigate i just drop it in a glass of water and notice the water went in through the sealing of the lens and bezel in less then afew min.

so the next question is can i claim warranty for this? as nitecore state that this light is waterproof to ipx 8 standard which for what i know is something beyond 1m.

i just got the light a month ago after waiting for 2mth for 4seven to restock it and i really hate to send it back again.:confused:

gsxrac

Enlightened
Sadly I think IPX 8 is whatever the manufacturer decides they want it to be. But I think 4 sevens will gladly switch it out for you based on what ive heard of their customer service :party:

Just for kicks I found this video of a nitecore waterproofness (Ok well maybe I made that word up) test. its an EX10 not an Extreme but I would think they should be about equally waterproof?

Last edited:

Biginboca

Newly Enlightened
And what maintainence have you done recently?

Maintainence on a 1 month old light? In this for real?

You'll have to forgive my ignorance, but what maintaining does this poster have to do on a 1 month old light that leaks around the lens in a glass of water? Caulking the lens?

gsxrac

Enlightened
Well as far as the lense leaking I cant think of any regular maintenance that would have prevented that but even the day you get a light (ANY light) if you plan on submerging it you should make sure its properly lubed. Even Surefires, well... Mainly Surefires lol.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Maintainence on a 1 month old light? In this for real?

You'll have to forgive my ignorance, but what maintaining does this poster have to do on a 1 month old light that leaks around the lens in a glass of water? Caulking the lens?

The same maintainence you HAVE to do for ANY new lights. Clean, lube, etc.

litetube

Enlightened
Cant temp. differences play a role also? If you drop a cool light into hot water or a warm light into cold water there is the possibility of condensation buildup inside the window and reflector to the point of drops forming:thinking:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Cant temp. differences play a role also? If you drop a cool light into hot water or a warm light into cold water there is the possibility of condensation buildup inside the window and reflector to the point of drops forming:thinking:

That, and you can develop a negative pressure differential which will cause the light to actually suck in water.

frank13

Newly Enlightened
Waterproof Class IPX 8 is defined as a water resistance level for diving in water. Waterproof Class IPX 7 can sustain dipping into water for short time.
I got those info from google. If so, i think the light is somewhat exaggerated in its waterproof level. Whatever, IPX7 is surely enough for our lights.
Yes,every light needs Good Maitainness and proper use, especially bear in mind that you should twist the switch or lens tight in wet condition.

net170

Newly Enlightened
I have a D10 R2, that accidently went through a full heavy duty wash cycle and dryer set to cotton. Finding the d10 after everything was dry. It was extreamly hot. It didn't work. Disassembly it and found the center contact had separated from the pcb. Probably from the heat of the dryer Resolder the contact back on, relubed the o-rings and threads. D10 works again perfectly. Impressed with how well built the Nitecore truly is.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Waterproof Class IPX 8 is defined as a water resistance level for diving in water. Waterproof Class IPX 7 can sustain dipping into water for short time.
I got those info from google. If so, i think the light is somewhat exaggerated in its waterproof level. Whatever, IPX7 is surely enough for our lights.
Yes,every light needs Good Maitainness and proper use, especially bear in mind that you should twist the switch or lens tight in wet condition.

Actually that is COMPLETELY incorrect. The IP standard (IEC 60529) describes a VERY specific set of circumstances under which a product is tested and certified. This does NOT relate to real world applications, since those conditions fall well outside of the test bounds.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't matter. ANY new light needs proper maintenance, even right out of the box.

Lube is only ONE item on the checklist.

I guess you are right - I did get a nasty flickering on my Jet-IIIM, cured with a drop of Deoxit Gold. But some new lights are in more need of a little maintenance than others when you first get them. Some are very dry around the O-rings and could definitely do with a little silicon grease before you try to test their waterproofness.

fareast

Enlightened
I have two Extremes (http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab59/FarEast_bucket/EDC.jpg) which with my use hardly gets to go underwater all that often. My watery adventures i.e. in the shower (easiest way to clean them) and using them as bike lights in the rain doesn't make my extremes* break out in a sweat at all. A while ago I did a water filled bucket test to see if I could still do the ramping etc. etc. under a bit of water and it passed but that does not mean yours will also. I knew so because maintenance is key to it's waterproofness.

I also agree with Marduke. Every new light needs to be checked and cleaned and lubed before use. When I get a new light, I like to unscrew everything I can and check it. Look at the threads and o-rings, clean, lube and admire :D. Then I reassemble and after a month or so I do it again. Some might say that's too much and some might say not bad maintenence.

*one is almost a year old and the other one is recently acquired.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't expect them to be very waterproof. I saw a thread where someone had bought one and the bezel was loose, fell off and they had lost it.

I have 4, and swapped the emitter in two of them. Some come with a bezel you can twist off with two fingers, some actually come tight. I don't think the oring between the body and the head will work unless the head is twisted down tight.

Not to say this light isn't nice, it is durable, bright, and good for everyday use... as long as you don't go swimming with it.

I really haven't had to take apart the tail switch, but those are my thoughts on the head.

9x23

Enlightened
This thread is good timing. I don't have an extreme but EX10s and just had a 2nd Nitecore EX10 leak at the bezel. It was purchased when the 1st batch was release about a year ago and I bought three. The first one leaked but 4Sevens replaced it and the replacement has worked well and has been watertight in numerous dunk tests. The 2nd has worked well too. The 3rd I didn't take out of the package until two months ago and I just had it leak last night in a shower splash test. Just like the 1st one it started fogging up under the glass so I took it apart and found that a part of the o-ring under the glass slipped out from the glass and wedged between the body and the edge of glass. Likely it was installed incorrectly from the factory. I reinstalled it and it seems to be watertight now and still one of my favorite carry lights where size and weight is a concern.