Malkoff M60W MCE w/ Malkoff 2 stage ring in 6P?

oregonshooter

Enlightened
Can't find anything searching CPF, but is it possible to use this ring in a modified 6P perhaps?

Need a bombproof 2 stage for this setup and since the McGizmo is no longer available....

Anyone come out with a SF drop in 2 stage mod that is twisty not clicky?

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
No its doesn't work in a Surefire 6P. Gene intentionally made it exclusive to his own host. The MD2 that I have is extremely reliable. I have run it with 500 lumen MC-E's and regular M60 type modules with the 2 stage ring and rechargeable batteries almost on a daily basis for the last month, dropped it on the ground a few times already. Hasn't missed a beat. Definitely transfers heat well to the host as it got my hand toasty warm running the MC-E in there for 5 to 10 minutes at a time.

oregonshooter

Enlightened
Thanks MrGman. Guess I'll have to pack 2 lights for my needs after all.

I have an M60WLL now, but my buddy traded it off me so I'm trying to decide on the M60W MCE or M60WF.

Don't think I've seen any beamshots between those two yet though.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Anyone come out with a SF drop in 2 stage mod that is twisty not clicky?
I've used the Sandwich Shop resistorized tail cap for well over a year. If you get the 60Ω version, the M60 will have about 15 lumens with 2xCR123, or 30 lumens with 3xCR123. The M60 MC-E will have the same lumen output on low as the M60, although the high setting is somewhat brighter :crackup:

http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?products_id=708

Last edited:

oregonshooter

Enlightened
Thanks precision,

I actually got hooked up by The Shoppe on that setup and have two of them now.

I'm running an M60W with it in my EDC (below) and think it is the best carry light I've had/seen. I have the 60ohm and think it looks like 30lums myself (diff perception with WARM tint?)
carry_6p.jpg

The other I'm saving for the next generation Malkoff. I'm hoping for a throw monster in the M60W series that I can mount to my carbine and use the 2stage switch for "navigation lighting" also.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks precision,

I actually got hooked up by The Shoppe on that setup and have two of them now.

I'm running an M60W with it in my EDC (below) and think it is the best carry light I've had/seen. I have the 60ohm and think it looks like 30lums myself (diff perception with WARM tint?)
carry_6p.jpg

The other I'm saving for the next generation Malkoff. I'm hoping for a throw monster in the M60W series that I can mount to my carbine and use the 2stage switch for "navigation lighting" also.

That's neat.

Was it fairly easy to put the kit together? Looking at the photos on the site, looks like there are a few pieces in the kit.

Edit, PM incoming!

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my MD2 with the 2 stage ring with the 75 ohm resistor but I have been trying to convince Gene to make them with 60 ohms as well. I gave him a complete spreadsheet showing series of resistor values and how many watts and voltages they could handle for different model units. He is very busy on all his lights to make this a priority but I know someday he probably will have a bigger series of switch rings for various lights. I much prefer the rear switch to not change the mode so it remains a tactical on/off only unit.

Mikellen

Enlightened
Thanks MrGman. Guess I'll have to pack 2 lights for my needs after all.

I have an M60WLL now, but my buddy traded it off me so I'm trying to decide on the M60W MCE or M60WF.

Don't think I've seen any beamshots between those two yet though.

Do you really have a M60WLL? If so did Gene make it for you and how many lumens do you think it has? Or did you mean an M60WL? :thinking:

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi, good reading guys. just wondered if the build of the md2 is same quality / beter / slightly less than surefire ?

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi, good reading guys. just wondered if the build of the md2 is same quality / beter / slightly less than surefire ?

I believe that the MD2 host is stronger than the standard Surefire 6P. Some will argue that the SF momentary/twist on switch is more robust than the clicky on the MD2 but that to me is a difference in functionality, I prefer the clicky switch and the MD2 switch is recessed into a much more rugged host rear end (no screw off tailcap). The front end of the MD2 is thicker wall and far more rugged than the Surefire 6P series, and needs no boring out to take 18650 (18 mm) size batteries. The 2 stage switch is not an option with a typical SF 6P and its also very robust design, solid piece of brass with a surface mount resistor bonded to it to provide low mode, as a replacement to the retaining collar that holds the LED module in the head anyway.

I have accidentally turned on the Surefire 6P momentary twisty switch many times. I cannot accidentally turn on the MD2 switch. FWIW, G.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have personally never handled a 6P myself, but I'll bet that the MD2 has thicker walls than the 6P.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I absolutely love my MD2. I want to get a 2-stage ring for it one of these days. I have two SF 6P's and much prefer the MD2! It's the ultimate host for Gene's drop-ins IMO.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope this isn't mean that primary CR123s will rattle in the body.

they do rattle:oops:

I wrap the CR123 cells in with computer paper and the rattle stopped, but then you have to re-adjust everytime the cells are changed.

BigC

recDNA

Flashaholic
I believe that the MD2 host is stronger than the standard Surefire 6P. Some will argue that the SF momentary/twist on switch is more robust than the clicky on the MD2 but that to me is a difference in functionality, I prefer the clicky switch and the MD2 switch is recessed into a much more rugged host rear end (no screw off tailcap). The front end of the MD2 is thicker wall and far more rugged than the Surefire 6P series, and needs no boring out to take 18650 (18 mm) size batteries. The 2 stage switch is not an option with a typical SF 6P and its also very robust design, solid piece of brass with a surface mount resistor bonded to it to provide low mode, as a replacement to the retaining collar that holds the LED module in the head anyway.

I have accidentally turned on the Surefire 6P momentary twisty switch many times. I cannot accidentally turn on the MD2 switch. FWIW, G.

Didn't I read in another thread that the Malkoff w MC-E can't run on an 18650? Maybe I'm confusing models.