How does the Surefire Titan T1A compare to the Fenix LD01 ss?

Darkspark

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering before i plunk down the green for the Titan T1A how it would compare to the Fenix LD01. I have the stainless steel version and it seems like a pretty well made, solid and indeed very bright little light. I was just thinking that if the T1A would be a major step up from it, then it would really be a special light that i would be interested in owning. :party: Back when there was only titanium Titans around i contented myself with the ss LD01 calling it the "poor man's Titan". :)
I'm basically asking about comparable beam quality, fit' n' finish, and durability; I realize the LD01 does not have the infinitely adjustable bezel...(but it does have 3 useful settings though...did i mention it's bright for it's size?:thumbsup:)
I also know the Surefire should be better...:ohgeez:

Thanks.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lights you want to compare have really not much in common. Both are well known here so I will limit my comments to the differences.

15q5dzq.jpg

2l9761v.jpg

The advantages of the small Fenix are the very compact size and the relatively high output. Together with my wife we have 5 L0D's and LD01's so I am very familiar with them. While the elimination of SOS and strobe was IMO a good step forward, there's still the problem that an LD01 come on too strong for many uses and its low level is by far not low enough. Its beam is throwy.

The T1A like its sibling the Titan can be switched on at a level that is so low as to be nearly useless and then slowly you increase it until you have enough light. Its beam is wide.

My conclusion: the LD01 is well suited for outdoor medium range tasks when normally one would rather have a bit more light; the T1A on the contrary excels in those situations where your are doing something indoor or inside an enclosure of any kind and you need a keen adjustment of the level of light to feel comfortable.

:wave:

Darkspark

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Kilovolt! I appreciate your informative response...with pics no less! I'm glad i have two of the Ld01 ss's. I do see the differences clearer now though and maybe i can pull the trigger on a T1A soon. I see they are both great lights, just different...;)

Thanks.

SwatDude

Newly Enlightened
My LD01 died. The twisty "switch" is bad. I bought a Titan at SCG for $158 bucks and I am super satsified with it!!! I will say the LD01 fit in my pocket much nicer but tonight in Harry Potter my daughter dropped her cell phone and I was able to turn on the Titan at less brigthness than my cell phone screen to find hers. Really like the infinitely variable output.

kwkarth

Enlightened
I have a number of L0D's and LD01's and a few days ago, received a T1A from Battery Junction. There are things I love and hate about this light.
I wish the beam was less floody and more like the LD01 beam.

I agree with all the comments so far regarding both the SS LD01 and the Titan T1A.

Ideally, I would prefer a neutral white tint like the Cree XPE Q3 5A, but would settle for anything without the blue or green cast that most of my SF's have. How about a tint like the Nitecore EZ's or D10/EX10? Seems to me like there is no excuse for a company like Surefire, with the prices they charge, putting funky tint LED's in such premium lights. Shame on 'em.

The build quality and user interface are flawless. I love those things about the T1A and that's why I'm keeping it.

Tell me why SF couldn't be bothered to make the tailcap capable of tailstanding?

I find that because of the floody nature if its beam, I have to use a higher brightness for a given task/distance than I do with the LD01. Battery life would be extended on the T1A if it had tighter focus because you could use fewer lumens to illuminate a task. Even with the lack of focus on the T1A, it still manages to project a donut hole in the beam under half a foot working distance. No such problem with the LD01 or Quark, etc...

I believe the claimed 70-80 lumens is real, but it's squandered with too broad of a beam.

Well, that's my 2 lumens on the T1A.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ideally, I would prefer a neutral white tint like the Cree XPE Q3 5A, but would settle for anything without the blue or green cast that most of my SF's have. How about a tint like the Nitecore EZ's or D10/EX10? Seems to me like there is no excuse for a company like Surefire, with the prices they charge, putting funky tint LED's in such premium lights. Shame on 'em.

I think the Titan T1A is a beautiful light. And it is within my budget right now.... Its just the tint thing that keeps me from buying it. Too bad, because I think it would be really neat to have one.

SwatDude

Newly Enlightened
My LD01 died. I bought the Titan on sale and I have dropped it several times (it is on my car key ring) and it is still going strong.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a question to all the LD01 SS users, do you light flickers at low & medium level?

because the one i had did HEAPS!

just wondering if it was just my one or what the hell it was.

kwkarth

Enlightened
i have a question to all the LD01 SS users, do you light flickers at low & medium level?

No flickers from mine.

burntoshine

Enlightened

no, mine doesn't flicker at all. i have absolutely no problems with my LD01 SS. yours is for sure defective.

contact 7777!