Mini Maglight mod screwed up

sir

Newly Enlightened
I know this is probably the simplest mod in the world, but I managed to muck something up. I am trying to upgrade a 2AA Mini Maglight to an LED bulb. I got the LED upgrade kit (bulb and reflector) and pulled out the old incandescent. I also pulled out the plastic piece that says "Do Not Remove". (This was probably my mistake.) Now, when I put the light back together (with either the LED or old bulb) it does not light up.

Batteries are good, putting out 3.0V combined. I also tested both bulbs with a 3V power supply and they light up.

Are there pictures of this procedure anywhere? Now that I am troubleshooting this, I can't figure out how the negative battery terminal connects to the LED. There appears to be no metal contacts to complete the circuit. Did some small part spring out when I ripped out the "Do Not Remove piece? Where exactly should the leads from the bulb fit in?

What else could be wrong?

3D black mag

Newly Enlightened
Hello my guess is that when you took out the piece that said "Do Not Remove" the negative contact fell out that happened to me once luckingly I found it.
:welcome:

3D black mag

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are 2 tiny metal contacts in the part that remains in the body, they are part of the switch. Chances are when you removed the top part, one of them fell out.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I've lost that little part on several occassions, early on when I was starting out fooling around with mini mags.

Bill

sir

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have a picture of these two contacts? That is probably what happened, but I don't know what they look like or where they need to go if I find them.

Does anyone sell a replacement "Do Not Remove" part?

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have a picture of these two contacts? That is probably what happened, but I don't know what they look like or where they need to go if I find them.

Does anyone sell a replacement "Do Not Remove" part?

You can get replacement parts for the mini-mag from www.action-lights.com . There is a replacement switch assembly available. If that is the only thing you need - it would be about the same money to just go out and pick one up from a local store.

Al Combs

Enlightened
I have an several old MiniMag's from ≈ 20 years ago that don't say "Do Not Remove." Here is what the switch looks like without the press in top piece. The negative contact presses against the inside of the battery tube as the reflector housing is unscrewed.
L1010625_Crop.jpg

The positive contact is bent over after being inserted in the hole. The only way you can loose it is to loose the whole thing.
L1010664_Crop.jpg

The negative contact is what you lost. The only thing holding it in the switch body is gravity. That is until you turn it upside down.:sick2:
L1010640_Crop.jpg