kayak folks look here please/ now pics!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok i got a kayak a wavesport transfomer its short like 6 feet or longer big problem for me is when i paddle i just go from left to right drives me batty

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: kayak folks look here please

That is a short kayak, so it won't stay straight as well as a long kayak.
It also probably has no sort of keel or anything to stabilize the boat and keep it going in a straight line.

gsxrac

Enlightened

Pretty much what everybody else is saying. I just got back from a LONG kayaking trip about 3 weeks ago and me and my friend both had 12.5 foot kayaks with skegs and my friends brother had to rent one and ended up getting a 6 footer and needless to say he paddled WAY more than we did only to get to the same destination at the same time. I think those shorter kayaks are more for rapids than distance or flat water.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

dang looks like ill sell it or trade it for a long one.i think there poalper here i think this is where the 96 Olympics was done

raggie33

*the raggedier*

hey also once i figure out how to paddle it will it be easier then my old 16 foot canoe?

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast

Like others have said, try to get one as long as is convenient. You could also try pushing off the footpegs (I believe with the opposite foot as you paddle, I can't remember, I've got a nice long one so I don't really have to bother:whistle:). But the super short kayaks are primarily intended for surf or rapids.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast

hey also once i figure out how to paddle it will it be easier then my old 16 foot canoe?

Of course, kayaks rule, canoes drool. I kid, other than having to swing the paddle from one side to the next every so often with a canoe the idea is about the same, power comes from rotating the torso.

Patriot

Flashaholic

i seen one before

LOL!!! That's funny raggie. Some guy at my work many years ago invited me to do some kayaking and ran into the same trouble even with a 8' kayak. Word is, they're designed to work with water current pushing them from behind, unlike a nice stable ocean kayak that maintains it's heading so well when paddling. My problem was getting upright after I rolled upside down, so the yawing back and forth motion while paddling was the least of my concerns.:crackup:

raggie33

*the raggedier*

what would be a kayak for a lake?has no waves other then wake from boatsi want it short as posable but still have good tracking

Patriot

Flashaholic

raggie, I'm a complete noob and have only been in kayaks a half a dozen times in my life, but if I was cruising around on a large large I'd wan't something with a foot pedal rudder since they're stable and fast. I'd post your question on a kayak forum though.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast

ok i got a kayak a wavesport transfomer its short like 6 feet or longer big problem for me is when i paddle i just go from left to right drives me batty

yea short ones do that, but as you pick up speed, holding it sraight becomes easier.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

ty everyone good advice i did a little beter today what was wierd is wind which made it imposable on my canoe made it easier on the kayak i had a blast a storm came up and every thing

Soth

Newly Enlightened

wavesport transformer is a whitewater playboat. Any whitewater boat will be hard to keep straight in flat water until you have a lot of experience, and know how much power to put in each stroke, and how wide to place your paddle. A whitewater boat CAN go straight, its just much harder than a flatwater kayak.

if you are a new paddler id even consider a boat with a keel *shudder*

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Cool raggie! :thumbsup:

I really enjoy paddling myself but my craft are called surfskis and waveskis; no kayak so I can't really contribute.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

Cool raggie! :thumbsup:

I really enjoy paddling myself but my craft are called surfskis and waveskis; no kayak so I can't really contribute.

had to goggle em they look fast.i love being on the lake today i even filled mine with water to see if it still flaots it did but with me out of it but that should get me to shore

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've got a Carolina 14, It's no sea kayak, the bottom is pretty flat and wide. I believe you can get them with or without a rudder. I prefer without. But it's a good all'rounder. Lakes, slow streams, harbors, maybe even the bay on a good day. I'd like to try fishing off of it sometime.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

im geting way better i went to a long way today literly paddled into the sunset i love sunset but i dont get a great one because the trees on the other side of the part of lake i am so tonight i wnet where the tress was a lot farther and presto awesume sunset but at the same time wind was comeing from that direction at like 20mph i had a blast even snuck up on a bird ive been trying to photo for years not sure how he didnt see me wish i had camera with me.then on way back saw rainbow then a plane do a flip over thing what ever ya call it.i wonder will i be a head of the game when i get a real flat water kayak?im new to all rowing

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast

im geting way better i went to a long way today literly paddled into the sunset i love sunset but i dont get a great one because the trees on the other side of the part of lake i am so tonight i wnet where the tress was a lot farther and presto awesume sunset but at the same time wind was comeing from that direction at like 20mph i had a blast even snuck up on a bird ive been trying to photo for years not sure how he didnt see me wish i had camera with me.then on way back saw rainbow then a plane do a flip over thing what ever ya call it.i wonder will i be a head of the game when i get a real flat water kayak?im new to all rowing

I think you'd be surprised how much 8 extra feet helps. Id like a nice sea kayak, but I'm not really up to anything all that crazy anymore, for what I do it is pretty well suited. But I'd recommend trying one before you decide you want to spend the money. Some of the shops do demos. The best time to buy is in the fall when it starts getting cold. You might be able to trade in your 6 footer towards a bigger boat.