2 sugars or one?

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
How do you take your coffee? Being new to coffee drinking (and having my gag reflex activated if I try to drink straight coffee) I come up with some inventive and tasty ways to drink coffee. Here is what I have right now.

STRONG coffee (twice the reccommended amount of coffee per water suggestion): 2 cups

Sugar: a spoonful to a spoonful and a half per cup of coffee.

Homemade hot cocoa mix: 1-2 spoonfuls per cup of coffee

Pure vanilla extract: 1 lidful per cup of coffee

Icecream: One spoonful (not a large spoonful, small, about a bite or mouthful) per cup of coffee for flavor and to keep it from being so hot.

Caramel flavoring: Add to taste

Blend it all together. It is REALLY good and REALLY addictive. If you put the coffee in the fridge and let it get cool, you can blend it all together with less sugar and more icecream (substititue a spoonful for a spoonful) and make a shake kind of thing out of it. It is REALLY addictive.

Something I CANNOT have: The french vanilla flavored coffee. Don't know if it is just this flavor, or all of them, but even in small concentrations it just about makes me throw up. I LOVE french vanilla, but not this vile stuff.

So, how do you take yours?

Spud

D

**DONOTDELETE**

not quite as sexy as fearless leader but;
one equal packet + half tsp. sugar to fool tastebuds into thinking the aspartame is sugar.. + a little non-fat organic milk..

Greta

Flashaholic
1/3 packet of Splenda, 1 Tbsp fat free French Vanilla creamer (yes, I measure... I'm on Weight Watchers... everything is measured... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif )

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
1-20 oz. mug
16 oz. of coffee, strong enough to corrode stainless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
6 teaspoons of sugar
and a splurk of milk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I'm not called PercaDan for nothing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dan

P.S. Occasionally I add a few drops of vanilla extract to liven things up a bit.

Tomas

Banned
If it's good coffee I'll take it straight-up, please.

If it isn't good coffee, nothing can help it, so I'll still take it straight up anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tomsig02.gif

Catman10

Enlightened
I'm alway a double double. Although my advice, if you are only new to coffee, is to get out while you can. Run, run... It'll be as bad as your flashlight addiction, but with health problems (other than the one's your wife threatens when she finds out you've bought a new light).

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
My friends are falling one by one to the "roast your own" trend currently sweeping the country /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I will be doing that shortly too, just what I need another addiction /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gotta be good coffee, use enough of it (too much coffee makes strong coffee, too little coffee makes bitter coffee, strong can be fixed by adding water or milk or cream or whatever, bitter can be fixed by pouring down the drain)

I add a nice dollup of milk and a spoonful of that horrible creamer stuff. I can't help it, I like it.

Can't stand sugar or sweetner beyond that though. Yuck. If I don't have creamer just milk or cream is good enough. Love a good coffee.

sph3ric_pyramid

Newly Enlightened
If it's good coffee, then black for me.

But often, I'll end up at a place/end up drinking coffee which is less than pleasing, and I'll drown it in cream and sugar, grimacing all the while.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
When I drink coffee, I add sugar and standard milk. Once in a great while I'll get some Coffee Mate creamer for it, but I'll usually just grab the milk carton out of the fridge and give it a glug.

Sugar - I'll just pour it right from the box and watch the bottom of the cup so I know when to stop. If I get too much sugar, then I'll take the cup to the sink and dump the extra down the drain. I'd guess I have about two tsp. in a 20oz. cup.

When it gets warm out though (80°F or more like it's been for the last week), I'll usually just grab a nice cold pop out of the fridge instead of making a big pot of steaming hot coffee. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
As long as the pop has caffeine in it, I'm satisfied. Otherwise I'll get a headache that only caffeine fixes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like Sasha, I use Splenda . . . well not Splenda. Actually I use straight sucralose (the active ingredient), which I got in a group buy at a forum about nutrition and calories. I bought enough to last the rest of my life -- $300 worth! I had to; it was such a bargain.

Now, as I realize how much I actually use, I find I probably won't live that long. Well, the kids'll have a nice inheritance. A couple hundred dollars worth of sucralose and much, much more than that in flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The coffee that tastes best to me is Gevalia. A friend of mine use to split her purchases with me before she moved away. I haven't had it in about a year because the process of buying it is so over-complicated with coupons, specials, hooks and promos it just gives me a headache. Wish I could just buy it and they would just send it to me.

Yes, I'm sure fresh selected, self roasted and self ground beans must be best. Yet, the smell of a newly opened half pound bag of Gevalia is an inspiring aroma. A half pound of Vanilla Nut Gevalia is very much worth the $7.00 to me. Maybe someone here can tell me how to get it without having to jump through a hoop...wait a minute. I might be getting a little grumpy...ahh much better. A nice cup of Columbian Supremo from the local coffee/tea/candy shoppe. Nobody say, "pancakes" please.

11:00 p.m. and a cup of coffee? Well, yea. A good cup of coffee while discussing recent events and future possibilities with a friend is nice.

Back on topic: I may elect to use a spoonful, splurk, dollop, kersplunk, glug or kersplash of whole milk in it. GF insists I only have one sugar and she is it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hyeTotum

Newly Enlightened
Did somebody say COFFEE????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

Grrrrrreat Googa-Mooga!!!

Welp -- if I have my 'druthers -- make mine a 6-shot Americano (AKA: a "six-shooter") made with Lavazza espresso -- straight up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Otherwise, just gimme a Seattle's Best, Diedrich's, Peet's, or S-Bucks regular -- (in that order) with nuttin' in it!

BTW -- I love vaccuum-pot coffee at home. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Aw, heck -- it's ALL good...

hyeTotum

Newly Enlightened
WOW! Tomas -- thanx for the link! The one called "Sardegna" sounds FINE and their blends aren't that expensive...

You gotta' be lovin' it -- livin' large in Coffee-Country! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Just as an O/T aside -- for laffs! Sometime at least two hours after you've eaten -- do a search for Vietnamese chon coffee, Javanese Kopi Luwak ($75 per quarter-pound!), or just plain ole Weazel-*** Coffee -- and check out the "harvesting" process! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

this is the freshest (also meaning the BEST) already-been-roasted coffeee you can buy;
(besides a package from me, of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.roasted.html

..you order in advance and Tom ships to you the day he roasts it.
All coffee tastes better the day after the roasting, and some taste better 2 or 3 days later, so the timing works out well..
(I hope this mention doesn't swamp Sweetmaria's!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
Ted... Caffe D'Arte ships fresh too. My local Java joint gets theirs shipped in weekly. If I want any, they order for me and I just go pick it up there. Usually, I just get the Capri but in the winter, they have a Punkin Spice flavor that is wonderful! and sometimes I get a little spunky and go for a half pound of the Kahlua flavor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Sasha, well, if you consider 'within 24 hours' fresh..Sweetmaria ships the day of roasting. Also you don't know what you're getting at D'Arte, you just have to go by their description of the taste, (but if you like flavored coffee what does it matter what the beans are /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) at SweetM's you know the exact beans you are getting, annnd, SM's is less expensive than Arte's...