Recommendation: budget EDC light

Stonyman65

Newly Enlightened
Hey I'm new to the forums and have recently gained interest in flashlights, specifically "tactical" lights. What I am looking for is a budget "tactical" light for EDC use. Price range is under $100. I was looking at Fenix lights - the PD30 model. I need something to replace my LED AA Maglite that has failed me after only 3 months of occasional use. I am looking for something that is around an output of 120 lumens or above, possibly with different modes.

Thank you for any recommendations or advice you can give... Much appreciated.

See you around the forums.

vitekboi

Newly Enlightened
i would get an eagletac t100c2 for $45, a yoho-122 battery charger for $15, a pair of trustfire 2400 black 18650s for $10, and spend the rest on a steak dinner :)

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
The T100C2 is not an EDC at all; it is definitely too big to comfortably fit in a pocket for an extended period of time. Although it is a good deal for what it is, it is not the "be all end all" of flashlight recommendations.

What battery type would you prefer to use? Do you only want CR123s, or will you use AAs (or another battery) as well?

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
tactical with modes? what kind of modes are we talking about?
-strobe and sos (pretty useless in my opinion.. only find them useful as attention grabbers, bicycling or on car failure on roadside)
-or lower output modes? (my most used mode)

Quark should be nice option. especially the tactical that has 2 modes you can program to your liking. (i havea warm tint AA tactical ordered) quark is bit like fenix in their user interface.. but the quarks have added bonuses like pocket clips etc and the tactical has the programmability. (i personally hat the sos and strobe to be on the "normal used modes" i rather have them tucked away or non existant. but thats just me.

so you prefer the 2 cell cr123? is it due length or what?
or was it the multimodes like strobe etc you liked in fenix?

fenix tk10/tk11 or the eagletac t100 are nice options if you dont mind the size. -i found tk11 too big for pocket carry in my mind, but as holster carry ok, i prefer my true edcs slimmer lighter and smaller.

if the size dont hurt, try the eagletac as its cheaper to buy and test if its right?

(btw to me tactical lights are bright, strong, simple to use, max 3 modes, and preferably with foward clicky so one can use momentary too to briefly flash light..not multimode lights :) )

Latest posts