RIP Walter Cronkite

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
God bless this man. Journalism went out the window when he retired. Walter was one of the most respected Americans of all time. RIP

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
He was a giant. My childhood memories of the 6 o'clock news are dominated by Walter Cronkite. I was a 6th grader in Dallas when President Kennedy was assassinated, and when Walter Cronkite almost broke up in announcing the President's death, it was an unforgettable moment. When this icon of professionalism could not contain his emotion, it brought home to us all what a terrible and momentous event we were experiencing.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
...when Walter Cronkite almost broke up in announcing the President's death, it was an unforgettable moment. When this icon of professionalism could not contain his emotion, it brought home to us all what a terrible and momentous event we were experiencing.

I remember feeling exactly the same way when I saw him choke up when announcing Kennedy's death. It really brought it home to me how deeply this event affected people. I just sat and watched in quiet, rapt astonishment.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
and at sucha young age but he will be missed im not sure if i saw him broadcast before

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
I remember feeling exactly the same way when I saw him choke up when announcing Kennedy's death.
It really brought it home to me how deeply this event affected people.
I just sat and watched in quiet, rapt astonishment.

My exact feelings, also.

I was in 5th Grade when JFK was shot.

Additionally, Walter Cronkite was always at the center

of every manned Rocket Launch (Mercury, Gemini, Apollo).

That's how i best remember this fine gentleman.

Rest In Peace.

:candle:

_

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I first remember Walter Cronkite from his TV program presented in 1956-1957 - You Are There.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Are_There_(series)

I was 10 years old at the time. He made the show work with his powerful, riveting voice and excellent narration. That was about the same time that the USSR launched the Sputnik satellite and started the space race.

The only person who could come close to his style of delivery was Paul Harvey.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Harvey

Patriot

Flashaholic
A great American. Too bad we don't have more journalists today with his integrity.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
God bless this man. Journalism went out the window when he retired. Walter was one of the most respected Americans of all time. RIP

:confused:

The exact opposite took place. Many modern journalists followed his example. Prior to his news reporting on CBS, the news was presented in a rather dry manner. He was the one who began editorializing the news. (Long before the practice of the news-caster presenting his personal opinions in broadcasts became trendy).

No doubt, he had a huge influence on the American public.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
When he stopped broadcasting the news on any regular basis I stopped watching the news and read it only, when at all possible. He was the news to me growing up...

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
:confused:

The exact opposite took place. Many modern journalists followed his example. Prior to his news reporting on CBS, the news was presented in a rather dry manner. He was the one who began editorializing the news. (Long before the practice of the news-caster presenting his personal opinions in broadcasts became trendy).

No doubt, he had a huge influence on the American public.

:rolleyes: Obviously I don't agree, but this is not the place for anything but profound appreciation of a great man who is no longer with us. RIP

Monocrom

Flashaholic
:rolleyes: Obviously I don't agree, but this is not the place for anything but profound appreciation of a great man who is no longer with us. RIP

Sorry for any misunderstanding. It's sometimes a bit difficult to convey emotions on an internet forum. I only meant that he was a big influence to many future journalists. Although clearly, few even come close to his level of reporting.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get a sense of his style by watching the move "Apollo 13". It is quite interesting to see his exact clips being played in the movie, especially during re-entry.

I have to say that watching his style on the clips in "retrospect" was not the same as I had remembered him as a kid.