Looking for light recommendations and help

abrjoh61

Newly Enlightened
I am an automotive student soon to be an automotive technician. I've been struggling with bad lighting for a while and I would like to get a good flashlight that is going to hold up in the element of an automotive shop. After watching some reviews on YouTube, a user by the name Nutnfancy mentioned Candle Power Forums a couple times so I figured this would be the best place to get some recommendations on finding an appropriate light.

I'm open to any recommendations that anyone thinks I should take a look at, but I also have some things that I am looking for. Preferably, I would like a light that is short and fairly thin, which would probably operate on a single battery. Something like a Fenix L1T (I've done some looking already but still have no idea what I'm looking for specifically). It doesn't have to be anything fancy like an L1D with 6 modes of output. 2 or 3 levels of brightness would be nice. Also, some tyle of tail cap button would be best for one handed operation.

I will look at any suggestions and recomendations and any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recall somewhere that a mechanic had a Nitecore D10 and really liked it!! I think it is an awesome light that runs on a AA or 14500 and has no rubber switch cover that would be nice in a garage imo!

abrjoh61

Newly Enlightened
I actually kind of like that Nitecore D10... the price tag however is a different story. It is a simple light which I do like. There are little things about it I don't like like the piston drive system. I kind of like a solid, audible "click". I'm also not sure I like the way they did the brightness ramping. I would rather it start dim and go brighter instead of only being able to go dimmer. But yes, something like that D10 is what I would like.

You would think a headlamp would be practical in this situation but I don't know if would be as helpfull as you might think. I'm not sure it would be as usefull as a regular light.

Keep the suggestions coming! Comments are welcome too!

Marduke

Flashaholic
I actually kind of like that Nitecore D10... the price tag however is a different story. It is a simple light which I do like. There are little things about it I don't like like the piston drive system. I kind of like a solid, audible "click". I'm also not sure I like the way they did the brightness ramping. I would rather it start dim and go brighter instead of only being able to go dimmer. But yes, something like that D10 is what I would like.

The D10 ramps in both directions, both up and down. If you start in low, it will ramp up.

jon1996

Newly Enlightened
fellow diesel mechanic here, For the past 2yrs I have been using a Fenix P2D it has performed very well until today I had it in my pocket all last week in the ocean on vac and now it died But I am replacing it with a Nitecore EX10 R2 here in a second from 4sevens I hope it will make a good light, I am still looking at the 4sevens AA one but have not made a final decision

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the price is right for you and you don't wanna spend any more than the Fenix L1T sounds like a winner.

Im sure you want something that uses rechargeable's and if you need to pop in a extra battery as back up the AA is your best option.

Like Marduke mentioned though sounds like a headlamp would be best for you purpose but you said probably not. I'm curious as to why? Do you need to get light around tight spots therefore a headlamp might not be best option?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashlight for use at work?
--> running from the wall plug. Rubber coated, rugged, cheap, non looseable. To be hooked somewhere near one works

"problems" of L1D and similar lights: runtime.
On high/turbo (and You might have to use that level at day) runtime under 1 h.
(means also: You might not need the other levels)

Better were a 2*AA model, or even better a 1*18650 one, because they dont add too much size and give more power and double runtime. Will still fit into a mechanics suit.

imho a 1*18650 light is the best thing for most anyone.
My favorites: Jetbeam's Jet III models, then any other of the makers that have good reputaion in here.

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
fellow diesel mechanic here, For the past 2yrs I have been using a Fenix P2D it has performed very well until today I had it in my pocket all last week in the ocean on vac and now it died But I am replacing it with a Nitecore EX10 R2 here in a second from 4sevens I hope it will make a good light, I am still looking at the 4sevens AA one but have not made a final decision

What killed your P2D?

abrjoh61

Newly Enlightened
If the price is right for you and you don't wanna spend any more than the Fenix L1T sounds like a winner.

Im sure you want something that uses rechargeable's and if you need to pop in a extra battery as back up the AA is your best option.

Like Marduke mentioned though sounds like a headlamp would be best for you purpose but you said probably not. I'm curious as to why? Do you need to get light around tight spots therefore a headlamp might not be best option?

Don't get me wrong, I can justify the price tag for the D10 if it would be close to one of the last lights I would buy. I'm used to ridiculous prices for tools because I buy Snap-On tools...

As for the headlamp, you are exactly right. There are a lot of tight spots where I may have my hands in one area, and my head in another area. Sometimes, light dead might on not be able to shine on an object even though you can see it. Moving the light to the side of it gives you space to see what you are looking at, and provides the illumination you need to see it. The headlamp does seem more practical for a mechanic because its out of your hands leaving them free to work. I'm just not sure it would be useful to me.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight Headlamp & Flashlight all flood (80deg). Indispensible! Buy you'll like it.

The last flashlight you'll buy? Not many people here can understand that... this is a rapidly evolving tool.

No one light does everything, but start with the Zebra and you'll be ahead of the game.

abrjoh61

Newly Enlightened
Maybe something else that might help with the suggestions is that ideally, I would like something that is multi-purpose, something for an EDC role.

Also, what is the difference between the Cree and Luxeon LED's and the difference between current regulation and digital regulation?

EDIT: I found this on someone else's post and thought it might be helpful...

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

__x__I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.
____I am in North America. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in South America. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Europe. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in the Middle East. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Africa. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Asia, Japan or Micronesia. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Australia. More precisely I am in _______________.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I only want to pay $1-10.
____I can spend $15-30.
__x__I could spend $40-60.
____I am willing to spend $80-$200.
____I have no limit!

2) Format:

__x__I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a portable spotlight.

3) Length:

____I don't care.
____1-2 inches. (Keychain sized)
__x__2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)
____4-9 inches. (Holster carry)

4) Width:

____I don't care.
____I prefer a long narrow light.
__x__I prefer a short wide light.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

__x__I want common Alkaline batteries. (AA, AAA, C, D)
____I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)
__x__I want a rechargeable system. (an investment, but best for everyday use)

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to read a map, or find a light switch, in a dark room. (5-10 lumens)
__x__I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-20 lumens)
__x__I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
____I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)
____I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)------------x----------|----------------------Flood/close-up

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

____20 min. (I want the brightest light for brief periods)
____60-240 min. (1-2 hours)
__x__240-360 min. (4-6 hours)
__x__360+ min. (More than 6 hours)

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light.)
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood.)
__x__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
__x__Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

8) Switch Type:

____I don't care.
____I want a sliding switch. (Stays on until slid back.)
__x__I want a "clickie" switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)
____I want a momentary switch. (Only stays on while held down.)

9) Switch Location:

____I don't care.
____I want a push or sliding switch on the body near the head.
__x__I want a push switch on the back end of the body.
____I want a rotating head switch.
____I want a rotating end-cap switch.
____I want a remote control.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

____A simple on-off is fine for me.
__x__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
__x__I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a strobe mode. (blinks to show location.)
____I want a tactical strobe. (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent.)

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

____I don't care.
__x__I want a metal-bodied light.
____I want a plastic/composite light.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

____Red (night vision preserving) filter
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________)
__would be nice__Waterproof – how deep: __doesnt need to be very deep________
____Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
____Polished silver or brightly colored finish (for easy locating)
__x__Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Built-in second (or spare) lamp or filament
____Belt/Jacket clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Kobuton/self defense features
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

Last edited:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
throwy light in close up work is not useful.. but if you look for one..

have a look at selfbuilt 2AA roundup. or his 1AA round up. (use search)

lights to think about: eagletac p100a, fenix L2t, itp c8t, lumapower connexion and jetbeam pro1, and romisen n3

romisen n3, 2 mode is cheap.. about 25$ (get two from shiningbeam, one backup)

itp c8t (on/off switch.. easy ramp up/down dimming/brightening by twisting the bezel) i have one and like it alot. (also you can buy separate body for 1AA or Cr123 and use them on one head!)

eagletac is probably also in my "will eventually buy"-list. simple on off light with nice throw and new led.

jetbeam pro1 (have one already, convinient clip, bezel up or down carry.. you can put it on your baseballcap and use it as extempore headlamp, and it has programmable output into 3 slots)

**pretty much every manufacturer has a light that could match your needs.. look at 4sevens for some and search cpf for others**

edit: also dont think you can get "critical" quality with such an budget.. they start (in my mind) above my own budget range around 100+

Last edited: