THe best deadly force against poison ivy?

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Poison ivy grows like crazy here in the sandy soil of Cape Cod. I've tried like 5 different chemicals to kill it with limited success. The last thing I tried was Roundup. It killed every kind of weed I sprayed it on....except the poison ivy. After 5 days, It was there with shiny green leaves like nothing was the matter. My dad used to say about poison ivy... "If it was worth anything, it wouldn't be here". The bottle recommends 6 oz. per 1 gallon of water. Do you need to increase the mixture in Roundup for poison ivy?

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be really careful with flaming your weeds, from the above link (flame weeding 101):

Conifers are very flammable and should be avoided. Poison ivy, oak or any poisonous plant should be avoided also- the smoke from flamed leaves will cause a rash to your skin, eyes and lungs!

Out in our area we have poison oak and try to stay far from brush fires with burning poison oak.

-Bill

ypsifly

Enlightened
Yeah, be very careful burning that stuff. My mom was hospitalized when someone burned a bunch of it a few years ago. If you have anyone around you who is very sensitive to it you might want to pursue other options.

On a related note, I'm somehow immune to the stuff. Have rolled around in it several times wearing nothing but shorts without any ill effects. Won a couple bets doing that.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I've heard a solution of soapy water and salt works but it also renders the soil sterile until the salt leaches out. I did a search for natural enemies but all that turned up were goats, mules, and prarie dogs. In other words, nothing practical there.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Be really careful with flaming your weeds, from the above link (flame weeding 101):

Out in our area we have poison oak and try to stay far from brush fires with burning poison oak.

-Bill

That is news to me, and very good to know. :eek: I have only used it on the weeds/grass growing up in cracks as our back yard has a large area covered with slate/bluestone. Thanks for the sharp eye, BB.

Vinniec5

Enlightened
Try Tordon K/Grazon both more powerful versions of Roundup with Tordon 101 being strongest with 2,4-D additive AKA 'Agent White" all these years Dow still makes it with a new name

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess if the product has trouble penetrating the waxy leaves, you could try a solvent first like 90% rubbing alcohol.

My wife's grandmother used to use either gasoline or diesel fuel on poision oak (cannot remember). No idea if it worked or not, but she was quite a country person with a real common folks sense of plants and animals. I doubt she would have spent a nickel on anything that didn't work.

The weedy / brushy type that Lux pointed out is the right place to start. Normal roundup is for basic plants.

As for burning it - yes - that is a definite disaster waiting to happen. Don't burn it even after it is dead.

Sadsack

Newly Enlightened
Try adding a couple of drops of dish washing detergent to your Round Up mix and it will help it to stay on the shiny leaves better. If Round Up doesn't work you might have to use Brush be Gone or a similar brush killer. Again adding a couple of drops of detergent will keep the product from just running just straight off the shiny leaves. Also works good when spraying Holly which also has shiny leaves. :wave:

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try adding a couple of drops of dish washing detergent to your Round Up mix and it will help it to stay on the shiny leaves better. If Round Up doesn't work you might have to use Brush be Gone or a similar brush killer. Again adding a couple of drops of detergent will keep the product from just running just straight off the shiny leaves. Also works good when spraying Holly which also has shiny leaves. :wave:

Great tip......thanks, Sadsack!

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
i've used a more expensive, stronger forumulation of Round-Up on Poison Ivy with success. it worked well despite the oleoresin coating the leaves and also produced by the stems, vines, etc. forget the exact name, but i still have some in the chemical "locker" in the basement workshop.

it wasn't the "Poison Ivy" version. had it been in the small local H/W Store, i would have tried it instead.

to those with some degree of immunity. don't squander it. each exposure to the oleoresin that poison ivy (in all its variegated forms - shrub, groundcover-like, climbing vines, etc.), poison sumac (WHITE berries, not red - grows in very wet areas), and poison oak (out west) increases one's sensitivity to it, thus, making it easier to develop a rxn to it. contact with broken skin (even from shaving - my first rxn/outbreak at the age of 17 despite many previous contacts with no effects) may rapidly push one over the "threshold" of sensitivity.

I DON'T ADVOCATE DOING THE FOLLOWING:

the Native Americans in the NE had a practice of eating three poison ivy leaves each week, beginning when they first appeared in the Spring. this apparently conferred an immunity. while this seems to contradict my warning above, it is something entirely different. it is NOT a massive dose of the oleoresin at one time. it is more analogous to what an allergist might do when one is getting allergy shots. a little bit of the allergen at one time, beginning with a very small dose and increasing it gradually.

Euell Gibbons, writer and naturalist (in the field biology sense), and old-time Post Grape-Nuts "pitchman" on TV commercials, read of this practice of the Native Americans and decided to give it a whirl since he would get Poison Ivy reactions each year as part of his time in the field. The procedure worked for Mr. Gibbons and he wrote of it in one of the books that he wrote (i have them all upstairs on one of the library shelves).

I DON'T ADVOCATE DOING THE ABOVE:

WARNING:
Some decades ago, three older acquaintances (in their early twenties at the time), who never had rxns to poison ivy contact (they even grabbed it, more than once, and rubbed it on their bodies), decided to eat some FULL GROWN poison ivy leaves. all three were hospitalized. proof positive that...

too much oleoresin + too much testosterone + too lil' common sense = somethin' bad happens.

'nuff said.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well if all you need to do is penetrate a waxy coating I can tell you Dawn dish soap absolutely DESTROYS box elder bugs. I wouldn't mix it with Roundup though. But it's cheap enough. The bugs have a coating too. We had a nasty infestation a few years back. Three or four applications with a garden sprayer, not a single bug since. I'm extremely sensitive to urushiol oil, I can walk by that poison crap and get it.