brightest light for $30-$70

giggity_giggity

Newly Enlightened
I need a bright light with a lot of throw at work. I don't really care if it has rechargeable batteries, because I can get free batteries from work. a lot of people at work have the stremlight stinger led which I like but it's a little out of my price range and I would like to get something a little brighter (with a little more throw). also I need something that is durable. are there any lights that would work for me, in my price range?

Nite

Enlightened
if your getting free CR123, why not just use incandescent lights! :)

hehe

In any case im building a light for a police officer. its about 50$ plus 8$ shipping with CPF discount. its a SF G3...

Its going to run a 1000mah LF LED at 250 lumens on two 17500 rechargeable or three CR123 disposable cells.

add spare cells and this all adds up to alot of money, but you dont need a charger or cells.

Maybe you should buy what I bought this officer.

the SF G3 then throw in a Lumens factory D26 250 lumen 1000mah LED.

its got a wide voltage range, you can even use a G2. two cells also, just smaller.

the G2 is like 35$ add the LED for under 30$ use free batteries, 65$?

I hope that I was helpful

lovecpf

Last edited:

strinq

Enlightened
For that price range i would give a few choices, the Fenix TK10, Quark 123*2, Eagletac T100C2 (all throwers). All about 200 OTF lumens.

Less throw but still decent with really high output would be the Eagletac T10LC2. 265 OTF lumens.

giggity_giggity

Newly Enlightened
I would like a light that is around the same size as the stinger led. also the batteries we get at work are just standard akalines.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm assuming AA's? Maybe the quark 2xAA or the nitecore D20 R2 edition. Although the later is 77 bucks.

giggity_giggity

Newly Enlightened
I think the 2AA light will not have enough throw for me. there are a lot of p7 led lights on ebay in my price range, they advertise them as having 900 lumens. I'm sure they overrate them a lot but are any of them any good?

SuperLightMan

Newly Enlightened
I think the 2AA light will not have enough throw for me. there are a lot of p7 led lights on ebay in my price range, they advertise them as having 900 lumens. I'm sure they overrate them a lot but are any of them any good?

Check out light-reviews.com

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
P7 lights will not have all that much throw either when compared to single Die LEDs, especially cheap P7/MC-E lights. They can have high output, which can give decent throw, but I doubt any of the cheaper ones will have much over 400 lumens on fresh batteries. They are made for lighting up larger areas, not for throw.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I would like a light that is around the same size as the stinger led. also the batteries we get at work are just standard akalines.
You realize the Stinger and all those P7 lights do not use standard alkalines? The best you are likely to do is 2xAA. The Fenix TK40 (MC-E) uses 8 AA batteries, but it is NOT recommended you run them on standard alkalines (NiMH recommended).

Standard alkalines are of limited value. They cannot be used for high-drain, high-powered lights.

giggity_giggity

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I should have clarified this earller, but I don't necessarily want a light that runs on akalines, I just dont want a light that runs on cr123 or other disposable batteries that I don't get for free at work. recharable flashlights are fine. I have been doing some reading and it seems like the xtar p7 gets good reviews, does anyone have any experience with it, I am mainly interisted in the reliablity/durability of this light. I know it will not be built as well as the streamlight, but I still want something that is built decently. also throw is important but I don't really need a super long thrower. I guess I want something that puts out a lot of light with decent throw.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I humbly suggest you get a 2D MagLED Rebel from Lowe's. The new MagLED lights with the upgraded Rebel emitters have an unbelievable amount of throw at their tightest focus, and very long runtime. I think it will be larger than a Stinger, but if that is okay with you then it might be a great choice.

There are excellent pictures in this thread showing how to identify the new Rebel version: LINK

Nite

Enlightened
Sorry, I should have clarified this earller, but I don't necessarily want a light that runs on akalines, I just dont want a light that runs on cr123 or other disposable batteries that I don't get for free at work. recharable flashlights are fine. I have been doing some reading and it seems like the xtar p7 gets good reviews, does anyone have any experience with it, I am mainly interisted in the reliablity/durability of this light. I know it will not be built as well as the streamlight, but I still want something that is built decently. also throw is important but I don't really need a super long thrower. I guess I want something that puts out a lot of light with decent throw.

A surefire G2 is 35$ a G3 slightly more. Add a Lumens factory 3-13 volt 250 lumen LED in there. two 17500 rechargeable cells will give you an hours runtime at 250 lumens. this is a nice inexpensive setup that wont require new batteries for 2 or 3 years, and a spare set of cells will mean your light will never sit on a charger.

Also a G2 or G3 is nitrolon so its non conductive. Wont get cold in winter. and is tiny compared to a Maglight. also the nitrolon SF lights are their least expensive. Its also very small and light. they both fit in the palm of your hand.

OF course that same led emitter in a body that can hold 18500 or 18650 cells will give you alot more runtime.

I dont know much about LEDs..Q5, R2, P7, all are good at being bright and reliable, from what I hear. the LED will never break if dropped or burn out. Paired AW protected rechargeable cells, whatever LED you pick, will be fine.
I recently bought an officer from my local pct a Fenix TK11...its uses rechargeables, has selectable modes, can run all night if needed.

your right to not use a light that will run 5.25$ an hour on CR123 cells.

Have you read this guide yet? Its the beginner and advanced "flashaholics bible"

theres no greater satisfaction in building your own light from parts yourself, which can later be changed to suit your needs..."SF lego" all this stuff in the D26 size are SF compatible and your worklight can be changed to your camping light with little or no modification. OF course as technology changes and new leds come out, new battery chemistries, youll be able to upgrade without buying a whole new light.:thumbsup:

I hope I was helpful.:welcome:
lovecpf

recDNA

Flashaholic
A surefire G2 is 35$ a G3 slightly more. Add a Lumens factory 3-13 volt 250 lumen LED in there. two 17500 rechargeable cells will give you an hours runtime at 250 lumens. this is a nice inexpensive setup that wont require new batteries for 2 or 3 years, and a spare set of cells will mean your light will never sit on a charger.

Also a G2 or G3 is nitrolon so its non conductive. Wont get cold in winter. and is tiny compared to a Maglight. also the nitrolon SF lights are their least expensive. Its also very small and light. they both fit in the palm of your hand.

OF course that same led emitter in a body that can hold 18500 or 18650 cells will give you alot more runtime.

I dont know much about LEDs..Q5, R2, P7, all are good at being bright and reliable, from what I hear. the LED will never break if dropped or burn out. Paired AW protected rechargeable cells, whatever LED you pick, will be fine.
I recently bought an officer from my local pct a Fenix TK11...its uses rechargeables, has selectable modes, can run all night if needed.

your right to not use a light that will run 5.25$ an hour on CR123 cells.

Have you read this guide yet? Its the beginner and advanced "flashaholics bible"

theres no greater satisfaction in building your own light from parts yourself, which can later be changed to suit your needs..."SF lego" all this stuff in the D26 size are SF compatible and your worklight can be changed to your camping light with little or no modification. OF course as technology changes and new leds come out, new battery chemistries, youll be able to upgrade without buying a whole new light.:thumbsup:

I hope I was helpful.:welcome:
lovecpf

What a fantastic thread! Somehow up until now I had missed it.

recDNA

Flashaholic
P7 lights will not have all that much throw either when compared to single Die LEDs, especially cheap P7/MC-E lights. They can have high output, which can give decent throw, but I doubt any of the cheaper ones will have much over 400 lumens on fresh batteries. They are made for lighting up larger areas, not for throw.

400 lumens is nothing to sneeze at! I don't dispute they are "floody" though. That's what makes them good!

Nite

Enlightened
Maybe an inexpesive jetbeam and some 14500 "AA" lithium rechargeable cells even. Adjustable levels, small sized...powerful. Or a larger unit.

Either way you should be a happy camper.:popcorn:

Or an inexpensive fenix that uses Nimh rechargeables, adjustable spot..E20?