Need a 1x123 light

dagger10k

Newly Enlightened
I just recently lost my Peak Atlantic on CPF Special Body. :mecry:

So I need a replacement of some kind for it. I was hoping for something under a hundred, hopefully 2 level? I had a Amilite Neo T3 at one point that I really liked. Maybe something like that?

Any ideas? What do people like these days? I haven't gotten a flashlight in a while.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that CPF Member Selfbuilt has a fantastic 1x123 roundup review that compares a massive number of them together so you can better decide, but for a decent two level light I am finding that I genuinely enjoy my Nitecore EZ 123. If you are interested in a one level light with a few bonuses (selectable level, and shortcuts to min/max) my EX10 has been in my pocket nearly incessantly since I got it over a year ago. Otherwise I have heard fantastic ravings about the LiteFlux LF3XT for a fully programmable UI (I think. I haven't had any opportunity to see one in person myself).

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
After receiving my Ra Twisty last week, I am incredibly impressed. It is not the brightest light I have, but it is certainly the highest quality light I own. Seems that more people here like the Clicky, but you can't go wrong with either. I chose the twisty because I could get the optional 18650 battery tube. . . .

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark 123, Nitecore EX10 R2, Ra Clicky or Twisty (Depending on your personal flashlight preference).

Quark has the best beam, and is very versatile with its different modes like strobe, beacon, SOS, etc. Nitecore EX10 provides the same outstanding performance the Nitecore D10 does (100 levels of output) but in CR123 form. And the Ra Clicky for the most versatile, reliable, strongest clicky you can find. The Ra Twisty for a light that is bomb-proof and can survive any environmental situation you can possibly put any light through... period. The Ra lights can also be used as a weapon. All these lights can be found for under $100 and are very dependable lights, just depends on what you plan to use the lights for...

***Note that the Ra Clicky lights are over $100 easy. It is the Ra "EDC" Clicky that is under $100 ($99). And I believe they are selling the 100 lumen version of the Twisty for $99 as well at the current moment.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot about the Quark 123. Posting too early on Monday morning I guess. I'd recommend the clipless version personally. Very excellent light as well. I also haven't had any experience with the Ra lights but they are always VERY highly spoken of.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Nitecore Extreme is kinda fun.

Very nice two-level system in a compact package, with about the highest high you are going to get on a single 123, and a good tight beam for plenty of throw. Plus the other level will go really low if you need it to.

Mine looks really good with the stainless bezel.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
You said:

1 cr123
Two Modes
Reliable

SureFire E1B.

I absolutely love mine. It's been EDC for over a month, used many times a day and works like a charm.

recDNA

Flashaholic
To get an impression of some of the CR123 lights, you can check my beamshots: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=235903

And then read reviews of the lights you find interesting.

In the Dereelight C2H numbers you referred to in the first graph what are the units - lux? lumens? Did you use a RCR123, a CR123A or a 16340? Textured or smooth reflector?

BTW, I like the Fenix PD1 because of its small size. The UI sequence stinks IMO but size and output were my primary interests in a keychain light.

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
In the Dereelight C2H numbers you referred to in the first graph what are the units - lux? lumens? Did you use a RCR123, a CR123A or a 16340? Textured or smooth reflector?

The graph is lux from a ceiling bounce, but scaled relative to SR3. My C2H is running on a 16340 battery with a OP reflector.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll put in a vote for the Quark 123 (without clip) and one for the EX10. But the Quark gets extra points due to the fact that the head is able to run with the AA body as well... I would buy a Quark AA flashlight and add a Q123 body tube. In fact, that's what I did. SUperb flexibility to run on CR123, RCR123, 14500 li-ion, AA NiMH, AA lithium L91, AA alkaline (as a last resort).

I like my E1B, but the Quark offers exceptional size/form factor flexibility, incredible range of powering options, and a much wider range of output (.2 lumens to 170 lumens - measured OTF). Add an incredibly clean beam that throws wonderfully and has a wide spill. Tough to beat a QAA with an added Q123 body on the side. Unless you add a Q123-2 to that equation and power it with a 17670! ;) Then you can swap all the heads, bodies, and tailcaps around... sweet!

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll put in a vote for the Quark

DQuark strikes again! lol Btw the battery you gave me the link for was the same exact size as the red and black 14500 :crazy: I ordered the correct one after reading the comments. They do a terrible job distinguishing the products on that site (DX) :candle:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
DQuark strikes again! lol Btw the battery you gave me the link for was the same exact size as the red and black 14500 :crazy: I ordered the correct one after reading the comments. They do a terrible job distinguishing the products on that site (DX) :candle:

I just found that out... just received two pair of long ones! They work fine in most of my AA lights, but not in the D10 or the Quark, which don't like the longer 14500 cell lengths. :mad:

dagger10k

Newly Enlightened
After looking at everything, I think I'll be getting the Quark 123 (no clip) It has the least offensive UI. The Nitecore EZ 123 looked good too, but the moonlight mode looks very handy.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
CaNo... it would appear that this is the deal on Trustfire 14500s:

DX SKU 3435 - these seem to be the longer ones - too long for the D10 and QAA, but fine for many other AA lights
DX SKU 19626 - these seem to be the shorter ones - OK in the D10 and QAA and others

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
After looking at everything, I think I'll be getting the Quark 123 (no clip) It has the least offensive UI. The Nitecore EZ 123 looked good too, but the moonlight mode looks very handy.

I think you made a great choice... you can also add a AA body if you like, for $20, so you can power the light with 14500 li-ion, AA NiMH, AA L91 lithium, or AA alkaline if desired. Great for emergency/back-up as AAs are so easy to find everywhere.

Personally, I prefer the Q123 (without clip) form factor better than the QAA for pocket carry.

My favorite Quarks now are the Q123 with RCR123 li-ion for pocket and the Q123-2 with a 17670 li-ion for general use. I keep the AA body on reserve for extra versatility in powering options if needed.

Last edited:

Biginboca

Newly Enlightened
I just found that out... just received two pair of long ones! They work fine in most of my AA lights, but not in the D10 or the Quark, which don't like the longer 14500 cell lengths. :mad:

You can use a slightly long battery in the quark AA if you don't screw the tailcap all the way flush.

On my Quark AA I removed the clip and then backed the clip retaining ring out a few turns. Then I snugged the tailcap against it. This keeps the tailcap tightly secured about 1mm further out than normal and I am using a long 14500 no problem.

This also fixed a slightly tight to rotate head issue I was having. It seems that the reason my head was hard to tighten near the end is that it was trying to compress a long 14500 when I wanted turbo mode.

EDIT:

Here's a pic...

QuarkAA.jpg

Last edited:

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
CaNo... it would appear that this is the deal on Trustfire 14500s:

DX SKU 3435 - these seem to be the longer ones - too long for the D10 and QAA, but fine for many other AA lights
DX SKU 19626 - these seem to be the shorter ones - OK in the D10 and QAA and others

Funny thing is, I do not regret getting the blue version that you mistakenly recommended! lol They seem more durable than the red and black version, and I feel safer using them. I find the long version of the 14500 works perfectly fine on my QAA (both ends twisted completely tight), but is a nightmare on my D10 lol Now I am just waiting for the delivery of the AA sized 14500's from them and I should be A-OK! lol

Latest posts