cloudy reflector?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i just noticed last night that the reflector on my e2e has become very cloudy on the lower third /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

i'm not sure what it is, but it's whitish and cloudy...

has anyone else had this happen?

i think i'm going to drop surefire an email...

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
long time?! i haven't run it for over 3 minutes at a time...
i carry other lights for extended use...this is for short bursts.

i thought that might be the case...but given it's usage i ruled it out.

does this mean surefire will just say "sorry...it happens"?

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
might be water vapour if you've exposed it to water (and some got in). try opening it up and leaving it to dry.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
definately not the case here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Does your reflector remain cloudy all the time or just when it is being used?

What is the serial number of your E2e please.

Thanks

Al

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
it is always cloudy (i have a hard time seeing the reflector when it's on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ). the number is a13015.

is there anything i could do to fix this?

Size15's

Flashaholic
I urge you don't break the seal of the bezel.

I suggest that you call 800 828 8809. Talk to the friendly staff at SureFire and arrange to get a replacement exchanged.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do what Al says, put the flashlight down, now slowly back away from the flashlight!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously though, If you call Surefire you will be amazed at how helpful they are, they recently sent a replacement bezel for my C2 in 5 days after I dropped and damaged it. I didn't need to explain, beg, detail or send in the old bezel. Just call them up and tell them the story. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
You can either call them for a replacement and wait several weeks or do like I suggested and have the issue resolved in 45-seconds. I won't lose sleep either way and yes, I meant to say strap wrench.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could do both, make a free call for a replacement and if they'll send you one, you could clean up the other and not have to worry about screwing it up! Then when the new one arrives sell the other on B/S/T to a modder or someone who needs it and everyone wins!! Woohoo!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
The only seal to be broken is the lok-tite on the threads. I've found that most of the lok-tite doesn't come off after unscrewing the bezel cap anyway. He can either add more or (my preference) let the heat of day-to-day usage re-set the lok-tite which is left on the treads. It actually works quite well.

Size15's

Flashaholic
If the reflector has gone cloudy is it likely that it can be cleaned without damaging the reflector?
What is to stop the reflector clouding up again?

Okay so the bezel can be taken apart and put back together again. Will it actually solve the problem?

I guess I'd personally rather wait for SureFire Customer Service then take a chance that could end up with ruining the reflector.

Al