Streamlight Polytac LED Quicky Review

ColoradoStoneman

Newly Enlightened
Well, thanks to this forum, I was convinced that my Surefire G2 was a bad idea on a shotgun (poof). At the local gun shop, they have the Streamlight Polytac LED. Why not try it, at only $38.

Well, it is the perfect close up shotgun light for cheap. Not perfect for other stuff, but for this purpose it is good.

First off, I just wanted acceptable light, but the Polytac LED is actually pretty good. It looks like a Cree in there, but I am no expert. But, it performs well for a simple light. Good color, and a good smooth beam.

As for output, it is very close to the Fenix PD20 on Turbo. Rated at 120 out the front, it is no surprise that it is about equal to 180 Chinese Fenix lumens.

Is it high tech like the little Chinese packages? No. It has no functions at all, only Off and ON, with a forward clicky. Is it a better value then the Surefire G2 LED? Yes. It is brighter, less money, and "MAYBE" as dependable?

All in all, this is a really good light. If you want a light that just works, it will fit the bill. It really doesn't do anything better, but it has a quality beam for $38.

Here are some Pictures:
polytac1.jpg

polytac2.jpg

polytac3.jpg

polytac4.jpg

polytac5.jpg

PD20 BEAM
pd20beam.jpg

PolyTac BEAM
polytacbeam.jpg

SureFire 6PD---HO-09 driven by 2xIMR16340's (my favorite hotrod)
SFbeam.jpg

Now the big LED Jet M1X (cover your eyes)
Jet M1X.jpg

Last edited:

ColoradoStoneman

Newly Enlightened
Just an additional note. The body OD is .970 inches.

I bought this light to mount on a 12 gauge. Tonight, I found that the body is a bit under the standard 1". No big deal, as a rubber shim, or even some electrical tape will fix the problem. Just be aware that it is smaller.

The wide beam and spill are very good for an indoor weapon light. I am very pleased with this light for the shotgun.

ypsifly

Enlightened
Thanks for the review!

I briefly looked at one of these the other day and considered it for a future purchase, but I have questions: How does it handle heat? IIRC polys don't transfer heat as well as aluminum. I've hesitated to get a drop in for my stock G2 for this reason. What was the distance on those beam shots? Was the PD20 on turbo?

Retinator

Enlightened
Sounds like an interesting alternative to the G2L.

Is the tailcap clicky or twisty?
Is the LED hardwired into the bezel or is it a dropin?

Streamlight's been offering their C4 lights for awhile now, with little interest from CPFers so it's nice to hear something about them. Thanx for the review!

I wouldn't mind trying one in tan myself! Price is right too.

ColoradoStoneman

Newly Enlightened
As for heat, it isn't a problem, as the light is about 120LM. The beam shot Was about ten feet. What you see is the core beam.

The PD20 was on turbo.

For the normal folks that don't want different levels, this is a great light.

Bright, and simple. It is off, then you turn it on. :eek:

The tailcap is a forward clicky. It blows the stock G2_LED away, but not a G2 with a Malkoff.

I think it is the best $38 dollar LED on the market. :eek:

Last edited:

outersquare

Enlightened
i was playing with the polytac led at basspro, it is definitely a nice product, brighter than G2 LED and $20 cheaper.

I had my E2DL on me and they were just as bright as i could tell.

ColoradoStoneman

Newly Enlightened
I wonder what the regulation would be like on 2xR123s or a 17670. Or if they worked at all.

I don't have a 17670 to try, but on 2xIMR16340 or 2xUltraFire 16340 it is a bit brighter.

I don't have a lumens meter, but use a Sekonic L-508 that I use for photography. On Primary Surefire CR123 cells the EV is 17.7. On 2xIMR16340 or 2xUltraFire 16340 the EV is 17.9. Not much more at all.

While I wouldn't recommend this light, if you want an EDC with adjustable levels, this light is rugged and bright, and fits the bill for a one level torch, that will do the job.

For those folks that just want a bright light with decent runtime, this is a great light. It doesn't have different levels, but it is a premium beam.

5 stars.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Sounds like a buck constant current driver allowing more than 6 volts imput. Wonder if they have a three cell version of this light?

Bill

alberto

Enlightened
Received my new black PolyTac LED today and have to say I'm impressed. It's my first polymer light and I like it. It feels good and solid in the hand. I like the tight high-quality central beam combined with a moderate spill pattern, a great combination for general purpose use.

I like the simplicy of the forward momentary/clickie switch with no multi-mode, multi-level complexities. Although larger than my EDC pocket lights, this light will definitely do a lot of travel time with me.

I rate the Streamlight PolyTac LED a solid 5/5. It would be hard to be disappointed with this product.

Winford

Newly Enlightened
Great review...totally agree that it is an ideal wepon light. Perfect for nightstand, tool box, glove box or just a general beater. No scrach, dents or fancy dancer modes... true utility via simplicity. By the way I know what you mean about the 120LM rating being very conserative.

Think of it as a the Glock of RC123 flashlights with a better price point.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review on this light.

I was curious about it but have not been able to find it locally to try it out.

I wonder if the light engine can be removed for future upgrades...

Short and Round

Newly Enlightened
I would pay the extra money and get a Surefire G2 because of the upgardability (Malkoff!!). With a Polytac, you are stuck with a polytac.

elumen8

Enlightened
With a Polytac, you are stuck with a polytac.

As a beater light in my Jeep and garage workbench, I find it a pretty good light to be 'stuck with'. I have my G2/Malkoffs but lately I find the Polytac is the light I reach for most. I've dropped this from about table height many times and it hasn't failed yet. Forward clicky tailcap, simple UI, very usable output and good durability make it a light I'd highly recommend.

JB

outersquare

Enlightened
I would pay the extra money and get a Surefire G2 because of the upgardability (Malkoff!!). With a Polytac, you are stuck with a polytac.

with the plastic bodies you are limited on upgrade modules anyways.

if one is willing to spend double to get a 6PL then yes...