Battery scraping in Nitecore EZ AA

victor01

Newly Enlightened
I've just received the Nitecore EZ AA W yesterday, built is perfect, admirably compact for an AA size. But the only thing bothering me is that when operating the bezel the battery always turns resulting in a noticible gash on the negative terminal. It's an awkward feeling to ruin your rechargeable battery when ever you operate the light. Is there any possible solution to this? Or I might have to let it go.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
The foam contact with the battery creates the twisting of the battery during operation of the head. I don't care for this at all. The more I look at the spring contact and how the two stages work, the more I do not care for this design. It does not seem very durable and I question future reliability or consistancy of operation.

I would now rather see an EZAA with a twist UI similar to other twist lights (with 4 levels). I think it would be more reliable IMO.

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
And to think Marduke had a problem when I mentioned the same problem with a cell crusher design of the Proton Pro. BTW the Proton Pro is harsher on batteries negative terminals than a EZ AA by a long shot.

Marduke

Flashaholic
And to think Marduke had a problem when I mentioned the same problem with a cell crusher design of the Proton Pro.

It's a shame that the Pro is NOT a crusher design :whistle:

All other lights using spring contacts will mark a battery to some extent. There is no way around it. You simply have to choose where on the curve you want your light. So loose it leaves barely a mark but the cell can rattle and have intermittent contact issues, or a strong spring that can leave small markings but firmly holds the cell for good contact.

So which is more important to you? A good contact and purely cosmetic scratches, or a crappy contact and a pretty battery?

Moonshadow

Enlightened
. . . cell crusher design of the Proton Pro.

The difference is that the Proton Pro switches on and off with a side switch - so there is no movement of the battery against the terminal during normal operation - only relatively infrequently when loading or unloading the battery. As opposed to the EZAA where you're twisting on and off all the time.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep - The Proton is completely different than the EZAA and I do not see a problem with its design. The side switch is used for activation once the battery is installed.

On the EZAA, the battery is always turning and scraping every time you activate the light. The only way I see around this anoying issue is to remove the foam and put tape around the battery cell to prevent it from moving in the light (makes the battey a snug fit). You would need to do this to each new battery installed.

loanshark

Enlightened
Or you could designate one or two rechargables specifically for the EZAA. And after a couple years use, replace them. If there're any real issues.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Or you could designate one or two rechargables specifically for the EZAA. And after a couple years use, replace them. If there're any real issues.

That's exactly what I've done with a couple of batteries my Proton Pro has dented. As for the EZAA, I don't see a problem. Can't imagine a battery would be ruined.

Geoff

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just received the Nitecore EZ AA W yesterday, built is perfect, admirably compact for an AA size. But the only thing bothering me is that when operating the bezel the battery always turns resulting in a noticible gash on the negative terminal. It's an awkward feeling to ruin your rechargeable battery when ever you operate the light. Is there any possible solution to this? Or I might have to let it go.

I had the same problem---friction on the negative end as it turned, and scuffing around the bottom outside edge of the cell. I inserted a simple paper wrap in the body tube, and applied a bit of Deoxit to the negative terminal (cave dave's idea). No more problem. :)

LightScene

Enlightened
Deoxit on the peg at the bottom of the battery tube is one solution. Unfortunately it's not cheap unless you already have some.
Otherwise you might try a thin layer of some other lubricant.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the same problem---friction on the negative end as it turned, and scuffing around the bottom outside edge of the cell. I inserted a simple paper wrap in the body tube, and applied a bit of Deoxit to the negative terminal (cave dave's idea). No more problem. :)

Red or Gold?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading about my light which I received today,applied some blue battery terminal spray(which I sell) to mine and will follow another posters example of designating 2 eneloops just for this light.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this same light on my keychain and I love it.

I only run it with L91 primaries though because I've noticed the NiMH rechargeables don't fit it as well because they're 1 to 1.5 mm longer than a primary. This makes it difficult to use one handed and as you mention, results in this scuffing and/or crushing of the cell.

For my uses, I don't mind paying the cost for using L91's because they're so much lighter and my EZAAw lives on my keyring which I always keep in my right front pocket. Run time is a non-issue as well; I've had my EZAAw for a full year now and it's on only its 4th battery. Of course I only use it a total of 10 - 15 min. or so on ave. each day. I've also noticed that at least for my EZ it doesn't heat up as much with L91's compared to rechargeables.

So, you might want to consider using L91's in it, I think they work much better overall in this particular light.