Help a newbie pick a drop-in...

G Man

Newly Enlightened
Was at the local pawn shop yesterday and saw two minty 6P LED lights in the case, price out the door to me was under $40 ea. Couldn't resist. Now I'm looking for drop-ins for these two lights. I've spent most evening over the last few weeks reading through all the posts/reviews and trying to digest everything. I have dial-up, as we live in the boonies, so you can appreciate my dedication to this task! Hoping for a little digested information from the local pundits. The Malkoff M60W has my attention but am wondering what else is out there that is equivalent but less pricey as I'll need two or three of these units. These lights will be in my two "GO" bags so CR123 power is perfect as I won't be changing them regularly and they need to work when I grab them.

Also have a SF Tactical Light 650 mounted on the Benelli. Is there a drop-in for this available as well? Want bright/tight for the shotgun. Asked previously about a quick fix for the pressure pad on this light. Short of sending it to SF has anyone tried liquid vinyl or rubber dip to repair cracks on these pads? It functions perfectly and I would like to keep it mounted and and operational if possible.

Also looking for any mods for the Streamlight Superstinger and Ultrastinger. Any LED mods for these? If not, any replacement incans that would boost output and add regulation?

Sorry for so many queries in one post.

Niconical

Enlightened
If the lights (2x6PL) are for your go-bag, I'd stick with the stock Surefire LED that is already in them.

dirtech

Enlightened
I'd recommend the malkoff m60w like you said. I have a regular m60, but I have the mce warm and I'm very happy with the tint. For budget, go with a dereelight q3 5a drop in. I'm very happy with this as well. If the m60w has the same tint as the warm mce, then expect more yellow with the malkoff and a rosey tint with the q3 5a.

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
If I was carrying two 6P's I'd probably leave one stock and put one of the Malkoffs in the other - unless I really needed both a flooder and a thrower.

Otherwise I'd like having that stock runtime in my bag alongside my "blaster".

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumensfactory has a great led drop-in (your size is d26, pick your voltage) and some nice incan drop-ins too. LED's obviously rule for output / battery, but incan can give you a nice 'wow' factor or 10 minute blast.
www.lumensfactory.com
I've got a solarforce r2 drop-in that is my favourite thrower. Much cheaper ($15) with a tight hot spot...people wont talk about it in gushing terms like the malakoff but if you buy one of each and in two years, perhaps you'll have used the solarforce more often, each time you grab for a light deciding to save your expensive drop-in.
www.solarforcestore.com

YYMV
Welcome to CPF (no gif in honour of your dial-up)
Best,
Linger

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
If not, any replacement incans that would boost output and add regulation?

Lots of incan mods, go to incan subforum. Nothing will give regulation (only regulated incans and they are maglite mods IIRC)

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Closest thing to the M60W will be the Dereelight 1SM-2 5B Q4 dropin. The orange peel reflector will give a beam shape like the P60L that came in your lights(only much brighter, and much better tint), while the polished reflector will give a more intense spot with some rings around it for more throw.

G Man

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for your inciteful replies thus far. I'm still in need of a drop-in for the SF 650 Tactical. It has the larger head with the snap ring in the body to keep the batteries from crushing the light module under recoil. Current assembly in this unit is the R60. Will the Malkoff units fit this as well?

Am thinking about the RA clicky for EDC. Have read many favorable replies on this light (once the bugs are fixed). Is there a particular bin that is on the warm side and is getting good reviews? Do you think the 140lmn is the best balance of power/output/runtime/price?

Thanks again in advance for your replies.