Close call

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was riding on the bike path this morning. There are riders and walkers who use this path. I always ding my bell when approaching a walker. This time some woman was walking the same direction. As I was approaching , I dinged the bell and pulled to the left. At the last moment, she does a U turn without looking and almost walks into me. I heard her gasp at the last moment as I pass.

Phew that was close. I run in the top gears of my 21 speed so I was moving. It could have been ugly. I'm sure I would have been dumped into the trees along the side.

Why would someone cut across the 6 foot wide path do so without looking first? I guess I'll have to slow down around the peds.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I'd never ride that fast on mixed bike/ped path. But around here there are plenty of path that's bike only (not designated as such but too far for ped to go).

Patriot

Flashaholic
I thought you were going to say she was wearing ipod ear buds in both ears. That ticks me off pretty badly when I ride behind someone on the sidewalk calling, "On your left!" multiple times and they don't even hear you. Not to mention is dangerous for women since they make easier prey for sickos when they completely block out one of their senses. Even a man can be a victim of assault or robbery or get attacked by a dog. A car accident could case a car to run up on the sidewalk without them knowing until they got hit. I just shake my head when I see this as there's almost no situational awareness happening. Perfect example of a "sheeple" in my book.

Anyhow, that's my unrelated rant, but I'm glad you didn't wipe out this morning. That's always a hard way to start the day.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
That's the reason I pretty much avoid mixed use paths. Pedestrians (and amateur cyclists for that matter) are totally unpredictable. You either need to ride too slow to get any kind of workout, or be on your toes the whole time. The type of behavoir you've encountered I've seen from both cyclists and pedestrians. It reminds me of back in my college days when I was riding on one of the streets near campus. I was doing maybe 25 mph and a student riding on my right decides to make a left turn. Of course I had no way of knowing this. She was moving rather slowly, like most of the students rode (I was one of the few who actually rode at more than jogging speed), so I was preparing to overtake her on the left side. After a few near misses I'd gotten in the habit of covering my brake when passing slower cyclists just in case. Sure enough, maybe about two car lengths before I'm on top of her she decides to cross two lanes of traffic without so much as a glance back. I hit the brake, can't swerve left as it would put me into oncoming traffic, and lock rear wheels with her. No damage to either bike as I'd slowed to a few mph before the collision. Man, I let her have it, mentioning what if I had been a truck or bus. I hope she learned her lesson.

Bottom line, any venue where you're more likely to encounter pedestrians or amateur riders is not pleasant. That includes mixed use paths and areas around many colleges. Oh, and I hope the encounter I described above isn't taken to mean that I look down on all female cyclists. Quite the contrary. I've encountered some great ones. Back in the mid 1990s I had a great ride on the 73rd Avenue bike path with a female rider right behind me. I was pushing myself right to my limit, averaging around 22 mph for over 3 miles, and she kept right on my tail the whole time, even up the hill near Utopia Parkway. And she wasn't close enough to catch my slipstream, either. To say I was impressed was an understatement. I did and still do drop most riders, even those half my age.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought you were going to say she was wearing ipod ear buds in both ears. That ticks me off pretty badly when I ride behind someone on the sidewalk calling, "On your left!" multiple times and they don't even hear you.

We have a 5 mile path around the golf course/airpark down here. I ride a bike. There are walkers, joggers, in-line skaters, and bikers that use the path. The ear buds are a problem with the in-line skaters. They tend to use 1 1/2 of the lane as they skate, this makes it difficult to pass them.

We also get the the parents that walk with the 3 wheel strollers, 2 across..

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Why would someone cut across the 6 foot wide path do so without looking first? I guess I'll have to slow down around the peds.

Some folks are just oblivious, don't pay attention to their surroundings, or they think everyone around them will just get out of their way.

I had a close call tonight. Driving home at half past Midnight, on side streets; when some moron in an SUV blew right by a stop sign. He was going about 80 in a 35. His passenger glanced over in my direction. Probably realized that she just avoided being involved in a horrific accident.

Let's just say I'm glad I didn't get to experience the crash worthy-ness of my new car. :mad:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually ride on the road, but I usually go through a reservoir to get their. Many people walk through the loop of road in this reservoir, and there is a "bike lane" that people walk in all the time, and I always have to tell them to move, and sometimes they don't. Swerving on a bike is not a good idea, so it can be very dangerous.
You should be lucky you didn't have any Tour de France style crashes at 50 MPH like Jens Voigt did yesterday...

Metatron

Banned
putting pedestrians and self important cyclists on the same path is just the dumbest thing i have heard, cyclists should be on the road providing sport for us 4x4 owners.:nana:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a regular discussion regarding multiple use trails. It is hazardous for all when one has that much a difference in speed. Cyclists making a run are safer on pathways/roads that are conductive for higher speeds. Although I'm not fast, this is why I seldom ride on a weekend...the pathways are like work week rush hours then. Yes, people do the oddest things just when they are about to get passed.

Like my usual...I can be approaching a rider from behind...they will maintain a good line but invariably when I get within 10-15 feet, they begin to drift to the left where I'm going to pass. Kids on BMX bikes are clueless since they don't have the concept of driving etiquette.

Burgess

Flashaholic
All of these are good points.

But, equally valid . . . .

Every walker / skater needs to BE AWARE of what's behind them.

Situational Awareness, it's called. :caution:

Do you really think that YOU are the ONLY person on this Pathway ? ? ?

So many people ACT that way ! :shakehead

I've witnessed (and experienced) so very many examples

of blissful carelessness. :shakehead

Also, wearing Headphones effectively "seals off" one of your 5 senses,

at a time when you could / should really use it. :sigh:

End of Rant
_

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see the cell phone and Ipod thing all the time on local sidewalks/streets. It really bugs me at night to see a young woman or teenage girl slowly strolling down the sidewalk, totally engrossed in her cellphone. Talk about an easy target. And looking at the bright screen in a dark area kills night vision too, so even after she looks away from the screen it'll be several seconds before she can see clearly again.

I was walking back to my apartment one night when there was a girl up ahead of me, walking real slow, head down staring at her phone. I wasn't trying to walk quietly or anything, but she didn't even know I was there until I was right next to her, then she looked up quickly in surprise. If it had been a bad guy wanting to do something to her, it would've been as easy as clubbing baby seals.

Those of you with daughters, please warn them about this!

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even on a road (for cars) peds do the same thing. If you call out "LEFT" (or "RIGHT") They think you mean the opposite and try to jump in your way.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
One key aspect as mentioned above...people are not aware. They revert to other modes or distractions and in so doing, they forget...this causes problems. Like cell phone talkers/drivers...they become so accustomed to splitting their attention, they don't realize what poor habits come out on the road.

Even the wife, I tease her while shopping at the grocery store or mall. We'll be walking along and she'll bump into me. She get's ticked because I'm there to which I reply, you didn't signal nor look to make sure the lane was clear...;)

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Even on a road (for cars) peds do the same thing. If you call out "LEFT" (or "RIGHT") They think you mean the opposite and try to jump in your way.

In fairness, some folks might be assuming that you mean you're on their left; so they jump to the right.

Still, they should have been paying attention to begin with. I honk my horn. Just seems easier.