Broken Glo-Toob lithium

greenLED

Flashaholic
I let a friend borrow my Glo-Toob lithium and now it won't turn on consistently. Sometimes it will light up and change modes normally, and sometimes it simply won't turn on. Same thing with new batteries.

I think it's stuck in between programming modes or something, but I don't know how to reset it. I tried leaving the battery out for a while but that didn't work.

It hasn't gotten wet, submerged, dropped or abused (as far as I can tell).

Any ideas? Any experience with Glo-Toob customer service and/or warranty service?

:thanks:

yalskey

Enlightened
Wow... you have a broken Glo-Toob??? I never thought I'd hear that.

Annnnnnnnnndddd... I have nothing of value to add.

Hi, GreenLED!

:)

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doubt it's "broken" but I'll bet it is malfunctioning. Those things are super tough!

Check for oxidation or corrosion (on the light and the battery) and also to see if the contacts got dented or bend by over tightening. These are usually the cause of Glo-toob problems and are easy to fix.

I'd be surprised if everything is still bright and shiny and the contacts aren't bent or the battery ends dented or oxidized (even for a fresh battery) if it's doing weird things. Even if things look OK, give it some maintenance basics and it'll probably be good to go.

Oh, and a little cleaning and lubing to the threads is a good idea (and if I remember right there's a small o-ring in the cap that should be lubed too).

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Wow... you have a broken Glo-Toob??? I never thought I'd hear that.

Annnnnnnnnndddd... I have nothing of value to add.

Hi, GreenLED!

:)
Me neither; this was a real shocker.

Heya, C!! Been out in the field, haven't caught up with y'all in a while. Hope the family and you are doing well.

Doubt it's "broken" but I'll bet it is malfunctioning. Those things are super tough!

Check for oxidation or corrosion (on the light and the battery) and also to see if the contacts got dented or bend by over tightening. These are usually the cause of Glo-toob problems and are easy to fix.

I'd be surprised if everything is still bright and shiny and the contacts aren't bent or the battery ends dented or oxidized (even for a fresh battery) if it's doing weird things. Even if things look OK, give it some maintenance basics and it'll probably be good to go.

Oh, and a little cleaning and lubing to the threads is a good idea (and if I remember right there's a small o-ring in the cap that should be lubed too).

Yup, broken in the sense that it's not working as it should. Been there done that will of the above, and this particular Toob hasn't been abused in any way. :thinking:

I finally got frustrated this morning and tossed it on the floor. Now it turns on, but it's stuck on mode selection mode. That is, every time I turn it on/off, it goes onto a new mode. Hey, at least it turns on now! :D

Silly question maybe, but have you tried both the push-button cap and the scuba cap? If it's only malfunctioning with one of them then maybe it's a problem with that specific cap?

+1 My scuba cap has never worked.
I only have the scuba cap; it's worked flawlessly since I got it a while back. I should try bypassing the tailcap...:thinking:

AOBRICK

Newly Enlightened
Don't feel bad same thing happened to mine...Just send the whole thing back to Glo-Toob in Cali.
They are good people who will honor the lifetime warranty.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Don't feel bad same thing happened to mine...Just send the whole thing back to Glo-Toob in Cali.
They are good people who will honor the lifetime warranty.
That's reassuring; thanks for sharing. They haven't replied to my emails, so I figured I was on my own.

Did they tell you what was wrong with the Toob?