Fenix PD30 Q5 best light for me?

passive101

Enlightened
My EDC light P2D met an ending today. I need a new light. I'm ok with it being just a tiny bit longer, but not by much.

The PD30 Q5 looks like the next reasonable upgrade. Is there anything out there that is smaller then a TK11, About PD30 size down to P2d size that is a better bang for my buck?

The only thing I don't like about the Fenix series is the tail light as I prefer a tactical one as this could be used with my sidearm should the need ever arise.

I want to keep this under 80 dollars and even cheaper if I can!

The primary uses of this light will be hiking, camping, working on my motorcycle or car. Using it when I'm working in computers etc so I don't always want it super bright. I also walk at night so having light is great for living in a town the city can't seem to fix pot holes in.

Being able to use it as a head mounted light could be handy in some seemingly strange or rare occurrence. I did see fenix now makes a diffuser that would fit many of their lights as well. I'm not even sure such a think would be that handy, but maybe it would make the light usable almost like a lantern or something?

Last edited:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you want something a little brighter with a forward switch? I think putting a forward switch in a P2D is pretty easy to do. I think a Q5 version was/is availible too. Also a headband is availible as well. I have a couple P2D's, I like em alot. But the urge for a new light is well......... (cough)understandable.

passive101

Enlightened
So you want something a little brighter with a forward switch? I think putting a forward switch in a P2D is pretty easy to do. I think a Q5 version was/is availible too. Also a headband is availible as well. I have a couple P2D's, I like em alot. But the urge for a new light is well......... (cough)understandable.

Where can you get forward clicky switch and still have all the features etc for one of these?

My P2D won't work anymore though so I'm looking for a replacement as soon as it can get here.

passive101

Enlightened
Have you gone through troubleshooting with your P2D? It is usually an easy fix.

The head is cracked and no longer works. I threw it away. I kept the bottom 2 sections though :crackup:

It fell off a roof onto concrete.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't Fenix store sell them? If not I am sure multiple people here have done this. You can find em on B/S/T pretty cheap too.

Robert_M

Newly Enlightened
At about $65 (that's what I paid for mine at Battery Junction) for the PD30, I don't think you can go wrong. Any changes I'd want to make like adding a pocket clip and using a forward clickie would just increase the price. If you plan on carrying it in the supplied holster, just keep in mind you need to carry it bezel up or else the hexagonal section will snag on the interior seam of the holster when you remove it. If you really want to use your flashlight with a handgun, you would probably need to spend more money to get something with a forward clickie or twistie (SF style) and a pocket clip to make it faster to bring into action, in my opinion.

passive101

Enlightened
Is the PD30 better then the Quark 2x 123A?

The quark 123A I think takes rechargeables or a larger single cell that it will work with?

I'm not up on all the different batteries. My current ones have only used 123A.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Is the PD30 better then the Quark 2x 123A?

The quark 123A I think takes rechargeables or a larger single cell that it will work with?

I'm not up on all the different batteries. My current ones have only used 123A.

Both will take 2xRCR123's, the Quark will also work on 1x17670 and has a clip.

The Quark also has a true low low and smoother beam, available in a neutral tint, and there is a tactical model.

passive101

Enlightened
Both will take 2xRCR123's, the Quark will also work on 1x17670 and has a clip.

The Quark also has a true low low and smoother beam, available in a neutral tint, and there is a tactical model.

17670s only come in rechargable form I think? It seems like all lights run better, longer, and brighter on these.

I may have to get a couple rechargeable ones if I get the Quark light. I'll ask more questions if it comes up I guess.

Marduke

Flashaholic
17670s only come in rechargable form I think? It seems like all lights run better, longer, and brighter on these.

I may have to get a couple rechargeable ones if I get the Quark light. I'll ask more questions if it comes up I guess.

Typically, AA rechargables are brighter and run longer, except for L91's. Li-Ion rechargables typically have no change in brightness, and have approximately 1/2 the runtime vs their primary counterparts.