Quark 123² Tactical vs Standard

passive101

Enlightened
I'm looking at the website and the only difference I'm seeing between these lights is the tactical remembers 2 settings while the standard cycles through them exactly like a Fenix P2D?

Are there any other differences with this light between the two models?

jahxman

Enlightened
Tactical has a forward clicky which protrudes from the tailcap, and cannot tailstand.

Standard is a reverse cilcky (which some have found a bit stiff) and can tailstand.

passive101

Enlightened
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm not sure how much dimmer their special run natural one is since it uses a Q3 and most now use a Q5. I'm wondering if it's dimmer then what I had before. P2D Q5.

I can only see on their website that they say it's dimmer.

jahxman

Enlightened
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm not sure how much dimmer their special run natural one is since it uses a Q3 and most now use a Q5. I'm wondering if it's dimmer then what I had before. P2D Q5.

I can only see on their website that they say it's dimmer.

Well, when I get my Q123-2 warm I will do some lux meter comparisons with my regular Q123-2. It will at least show the relative difference.

passive101

Enlightened
It looks like you can't order it after a day or 2 as they are a limited production.

I don't know of any other natural tactical lights in this size, so maybe I should just go for it :shrug:

Do we know if they will be close? If it's significantly dimmer I'm not that interested.

Marduke

Flashaholic
The drive current is unchanged, so the brightness difference is directly related to the difference between the bins themselves.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
lol dang marduke can u break that down for dumbys like me?

i went and ordered the warmer tint quark, because when i used my TK20 ( 150 OTF lumens ) and my P3D Q5 ( 220ish emitter lumens ) i like the tint my TK20 gives better than my p3d Q5...

Warm tints feel more like natural light, and the Q5 seemed like looking out a blue stain glass window....

Marduke

Flashaholic
The Q3 flux bin is approximately 17.6% dimmer than R2 flux bin on average. Conversely, R2 is approximately 21.4% brighter than Q3 flux bin on average.

In real world use, that difference is relatively insignificant, and differences in tint and beam pattern have a MUCH greater effect.

R Lewis

Newly Enlightened
Hello folks,

This is my first post here. I have both of these lights and you have hit the nail on the head as far as differences in these lights. These are very high quality lights and I am very impressed. I do prefer the ability to cycle through the different modes of the Regular version vs. the Tactical which requires you to go into program mode, cycle thorough and select which mode you want (tight vs. loose.)

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello folks,

This is my first post here. I have both of these lights and you have hit the nail on the head as far as differences in these lights. These are very high quality lights and I am very impressed. I do prefer the ability to cycle through the different modes of the Regular version vs. the Tactical which requires you to go into program mode, cycle thorough and select which mode you want (tight vs. loose.)

I think I have to agree..I`m just not sure I would care that much for the tactical...but I would like the tail switch sold as an option...although I often tail stand the light...hmm

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
No one light of any brand, model, or UI will meet all needs at all times.

If you buy two lights: a regular AA, for example, and a 123-2 tactical, and a 123 body.... you can have at the Quark-lego thing like crazy. One of each head (reg & tactical), one of each tailcap, and the three best bodies (IMHO) 123-2, AA, 123.

I agree that the regular UI is by far the most versatile and is my preferred head, but there are applications where the tactical will be better... where you want a turbo and mid-level, for example, with just a bezel twist. Cool thing is that by buying a couple of lights and an extra body, you can quickly and easily create what you need most for the situation at hand.

Last edited:

passive101

Enlightened
Yeah. The tactical would be much better should I need it with my firearm, but for most circumstances out and about the regular one will serve me much better most of the time.

I think a tactical at home would be great if I don't have a weapon light on my firearm. Maybe one of those will be my next purchase.