Gathering On A Pier - A Light Story

thedeske

Enlightened
My friend who received the Light Gift from me returned from a trip with a story. He dropped by for a minute, and I asked about the trip. When I asked 'Hey, did you take the light?' he said 'Yes I Did' with a smile on his face.

Somewhere around Myrtle Beach S.C. on an after dinner beach walk with an old girlfriend, the two ventured out on a long pier. Apparently it was one of those big ones that sits about 30-40 feet above water in low tide.

There were 10-12 people hanging out and 2 or 3 fishing off the end.
After a few minutes, one of the fishers had something a little larger than expected and it drew the attention of most to his spot to see what was making all the noise in the water below. 2 people had lights, but they couldn't really see anything.

My friend just happened to have his LD10, so he put it on turbo and suddenly everyone could see the fish fighting just below the water and watch the action from the darkness above. My friend's light was gathering as much attention as the fish at that point. He said there were comments like "hey that's one of those new lights' 'man, can I check that out?'
He said the light sparked a conversation or two, so they stuck around a bit longer than expected.

A fun little moment

Last edited:

bansuri

Enlightened
Nice story, especially neat is that it was a gift light and that someone actually used it, AND that there were some innocent bystanders drawn in to the world of flashlights.

thedeske

Enlightened
Nice story, especially neat is that it was a gift light and that someone actually used it, AND that there were some innocent bystanders drawn in to the world of flashlights.

I don't know if they were innocent, but certainly drawn in ;)

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am glad to have a 200 Lumen light on me just in case a situation happens where the cheap junk most people call torches just aren't cutting it. You never know when you will need a good bright light. Of course now your friend can never be satisfied with cheap lights - once you go quality it is hard to go back to junk.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do that a fair bit, except i used my ROP and Tiablo, so you could REALLY see them fish.

Generally i find good throwers light up under the water better than normal beams which scatter too much.

Crenshaw

strinq

Enlightened
It has always been fun to show people what the 'new' flashlights can do.
Me friend lent a T100C2 to his friend who went for a caving expedition and everyone was like wooaahhh.

:)

thedeske

Enlightened
I do that a fair bit, except i used my ROP and Tiablo, so you could REALLY see them fish.

Generally i find good throwers light up under the water better than normal beams which scatter too much.

Crenshaw

And he impressed with a single AA.
Little did the group know. I imagine at least one of the guys walked home with a mission to learn more about that tiny light that wasted his trusty old can ;)

Last edited:

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

Crenshaw

does the tint have any effect in penetration? like a warmer tint is better for the woods but this can be a different story.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what i could see, the Tiablo penetrated better. BUT, that might just be the effect of the colder LED temp compared to the incan ROP, so it gives the illusion of brightness. Plus the water wasnt that clean, so the incan blended in slightly with the natrual colours.

Then again, this is 200+ lumen against 700.

boils down to, shallow water (<1m), the ROP will work well because of its sheer power. Deeper, i would take the tiablo.but thats just me. If the tiablo can throw just as far as an ROP, and hold its own respectably against even my Mag85 in throw. its a pretty damn good light. :)

Crenshaw

DM51

Flashaholic
LOL, great story, and classic flashoholic symptoms - all talking about the light, no-one interested in the fish!!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
My friend just happened to have his LD10, so he put it on turbo and suddenly everyone could see the fish fighting just below the water and watch the action from the darkness above. My friend's light was gathering as much attention as the fish at that point. He said there were comments like "hey that's one of those new lights' 'man, can I check that out?'
He said the light sparked a conversation or two, so they stuck around a bit longer than expected.

Not to mention that it blinded the fish as well. :laughing: