Where do you get the money to buy all these flashlights?

Centropolis

Enlightened
I thought about posting this in the general flashlights section but decided to post here instead opting for a more casual discussion.

After more than one year in the hobby, I find that I don't make enough money to keep up with the hobby. Now, nobody said that we have to always keep buying new lights to enjoy the hobby but it is so exciting to read all about new lights and then all you do is read about them at the end because I cannot afford buying 3 new lights every month.

I keep reading a lot of posters have 2 or 3 of the same models, different colours and maybe different LEDs. I mean, you would have to have A LOT OF disposable income to afford buying two Ra Clicky customs a month and then go out and buy a TK40 the next week...then see the new Quarks and decide to buy an AA and 123 version. I mean, that's about $700 right there. I get the feeling that this happens all the time around here. People seem to have unlimited amount of money to spend on new flashlights! Don't you people have bills and mortgages to pay? :)

Lately for me, in order to buy new lights I had to sell lights that I didn't want at the time, M4, L4, 120P, and now I am regretting selling them.

So how much of your monthly income (maybe as a percentage?) is actually spent on buying new lights? How do you limit yourself on spending on the hobby? Do you set any rules?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't collect stuff so I sell whatever I don't use, which keep the expense to a minimum. At any given time I only have a few flashlight/knife/multitool, not like the collectors with cabinet full of them.

Gadget Guy

Newly Enlightened
I always have to sell stuff to pay for my purchases. I did buy two titanium Arc's last month, but that is really unusual for me. I usually spend under $100 a month for my flashlights.

*Dusty*

Enlightened
I've only really started but I think I will buy a few more then only buy new ones as I need to replace the old ones due to loss/damage/family members "aquiring" them :p

That said I've spent around £100 this month already, and plan to by a couple of little ones next month :whistle::sssh:

I'd like to save up and buy a really nice custom Ti something or other from someone on here, some of those things are real works of art.

I also do earn a fair wage every month, I do work hard for it, but I also count myself extremely lucky in the current financial climate.

worldedit

Enlightened
I dont go an vacation and spend the money on flashlights and RC planes and helicopters.

Egsise

Banned
I dont drink(no not even one beer after sauna) and i have quit smoking a year ago.
Still i had to sell a pair of Yaesu VX-146 to get money for my other hobbies.
VX-146 is like a high end FRS radio, i sold 4y old pair and got 250$ for them.(i bought them with 400$)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I save up my money, and lately have gotten very picky which lights I buy. (Due to the latter, I now end up buying a new light only once every couple or few months).

Must admit, I have more disposable income due to not having a wife or kids to provide for. One of the few advantages to being single is having less expenses.

And lately, I've found a way to make a bit of extra money on the side....

rrbbgg.jpg

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being on SSDI I must scrimp over there to afford knives and flashlights. Over there being gas and food and not totally necessary for survival.

roguesw

Enlightened
I dont make a lot of money, so I save up for a light I really want. I usually try to look at the whole package, emitter, driver, batts, run time.
If you start with surefires, you have a lot of ability for legos too. so that can be cheaper in the long run and you can buy parts to upgrade.

I find that if you research the light you want and wait a while, you can pick up some good used examples and many people tend to sell the latest greatest lights the next month.

As for myself, I use my lights, so I think of upgrading my lights more than buying new ones.
So now I have to study up on emitters and new drivers. Half the fun for me is upgrading the lights to give em a new lease of life.

That way, instead of spending 100 dollars on a new light, I just upgrade the emitter or the driver board, and spend 20-30 dollars instead.

The other option is to buy a really good light to begin with, which has the ability to be upgraded, like McGizmos or Spys. They are made of titanium,
will last a long time, and upgrading the emitter will mean the lights last a long time.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I had exactly the same question when I joined up on this forum and I discovered 3 magic words. Budget, budget, budget.

Then sell what you have outgrown if it can't be modded into what you want. Next shop around for a good deal on slightly used items. Also attempt to trade into what you want, it takes time to find the right person but it is a nice way to get new (to you) toys. Don't forget birthdays, Christmas, tax refunds, and shoplifting. :laughing:

I also have $20 taken out of each check by my credit union at work so when I really really have to have a light a good part or all of the money is there waiting for me. It's also handy for things like busted water heaters, new tires, or other unforeseen expenses.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ask my mom. :poke:

Seriously, there a lot more expensive hobbies than flashlights. Coins, stamps, guns, knives, pens, Guitars,etc......................

Bill

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
create an objective to save the change whenever you get change from cash transactions then dump them in a 5 gallon bucket, when that bucket is full its a go for decent lights:)

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to buy every single new light....but when cash started running low...i started to realise that, you CANT buy every single new light. So i started selling to buy. Eventually you figure out what kind of lights will keep you happy the longest, they tend to be more expensive, but they last (in terms of :D:D factor) ,my recent purchases have been circuits and stuff from dx to mod lights, a Lf2x, ezaa (sold) and a preorder on the neutral tactical quark 123. the rest of my lights ive had for awhile.

one way to save:

my proud little milky, that needs its KL1 fixed...:ohgeez: is my most expensive light, but also was the most used (while it was working). So i just bought a MCE P60, a 3.6v incan (only 3$ at dx!) P60, and a bare P60 and circuits. And to top it off, a E2C adpator. Buy stuff that legos, it keeps you happy longer.

Crenshaw

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont make a lot of money, so I save up for a light I really want. I usually try to look at the whole package, emitter, driver, batts, run time.
If you start with surefires, you have a lot of ability for legos too. so that can be cheaper in the long run and you can buy parts to upgrade.

I find that if you research the light you want and wait a while, you can pick up some good used examples and many people tend to sell the latest greatest lights the next month.

As for myself, I use my lights, so I think of upgrading my lights more than buying new ones.
So now I have to study up on emitters and new drivers. Half the fun for me is upgrading the lights to give em a new lease of life.

That way, instead of spending 100 dollars on a new light, I just upgrade the emitter or the driver board, and spend 20-30 dollars instead.

The other option is to buy a really good light to begin with, which has the ability to be upgraded, like McGizmos or Spys. They are made of titanium,
will last a long time, and upgrading the emitter will mean the lights last a long time.

Great piece of advice!:thumbsup:

-Mayo

Ny0ng1

Enlightened
i have a motto in life:
buy the best (usually ==most expensive) available in the industry, or buy the cheapest

seldom i buy the middle category since i know i will be feeling like saving more $$$ for the better version of what i already have. At the end, all the expenses are the same. Some may argue that you need to go this path to appreciate the quality of the top produce. Others may argue that its the experience that counts.
One more thing i dont like about 'middle' category: it doesnt sell much usually when you feel like selling it :broke: :p Different story when you try to sell the higher end lights like SureFire or customs like McGizmo, etc

buying the cheapest version is like spending on daily food for survival, you buy it and prepare for it to be broken/disposed/lost/etc. :D

I feel that i'm saving more $$$ by doing the above, YMMV of course :nana:

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
One more thing i dont like about 'middle' category: it doesnt sell much usually when you feel like selling it :broke: :p Different story when you try to sell the higher end lights like SureFire or customs like McGizmo, etc
sadly, i think given the current economy, even McGizmos are losing money...:shakehead

and no one sells surefires for the the list price, its always slightly lower.

the sad truth is, youre always going to lose a bit of money if youre not a major dealer.

Crenshaw

Latest posts