Surefire G2L lumen drops and more blue tint

stowaway89

Newly Enlightened
Hi all
I would like to know if my Surefire has problem or normal. I bought it last year. I use it for my work in hot and humid environment. It worked fine until recently, I got new Olight M20 which is really bright as gift. I use it more than surefire for last couple weeks. Last night I pop up my SF again and I just wonder if my SF works normally. It seems the lumen drops or less light and more blue tint. I did compare with Olight in medium mode which is about 90Lumen and I expected SF should perform almost the same . But surprised me that it did shine that much as 80 lumen should be. Worse than that i notice it has more blue tint than before. I also compared light with my Fenix LD2-CE in medium mode. It turned out my SF light is a bit less than Fenix. Am I blineded by Olight M20 or my SF has problem ? Anyone has same experienced?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
NO my guess is that you are experiencing a common problem most of us here have faced. The new light has overshadowed the old and going back to using the other you are far more likely to pick up on it's shortcomings.

Every P60L I have seen/used has been blue and seemed of a lower output than the packaging states. It is my least favorite SF product by far.

It is possible that something happened to the light since you last used it but as long as you didn't drop it a bunch or let the batteries run down then it's probably just your perspective after playing with the Olight.

If you want the G2L to be better than new try an M60LL. Brighter, whiter, better heatsinked, and a longer runtime than the P60L. :thumbsup: Or just stick to using the Olight and keep the G2L for a loaner light.

Numbers

Enlightened
I own an older one that seems to stay in regulation but I thought this light was designed to drop to a lower power level if/when it gets too hot.

stowaway89

Newly Enlightened
I tried to think in that way too, St.LED. But I remember one picture in my memory that once I turned it on in my bedroom it was dammm bright and white. Now, it's quite low and more blue. I have just pop in new Energizer and try again, low and blue the same. I am quite sure that i haven never dropped nor left unattended. Unfortunately , I have no other G2L to compare with. From my knowledge from CPF, LED should last long and robust compare to Xenon. Any chance that any P60L in production line has defection? What is like if the LED burnt out? :(

BTW that for M60LL suggestion. Where can I read more detail or order it? I am sure not available in Thailand.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
OK maybe it is heat damage, dimmer and a tint shift to angry blue is classic overheated Seoul.
It is possible that Surefire used a bad Seoul in your P60L or it may of not been properly heatsinked to it's board (so to speak) and if that is indeed the case then you should contact them and get a new P60L. It is malfunctioning and that's a warranty claim they need to honor. Not sure how this is done for people in other countries however because I would only rely on a phone call to get this done.

The M60LL is a Malkoffdevices.com item and I am not sure on what countries he ships to. If need be they can also be found on the marketplace from time to time. It is an excellent product and I just recently ordered another for myself. It is worth the cost and comes with fantastic customer support from the man who makes them by hand. I have spoken with him on the phone and he is a great person to deal with that stands by his work.

Last edited:

stowaway89

Newly Enlightened
Thank again St. LED

In that case , I should call to Customer service from Thailand then. What time is it in USA right now and what time do they work in Surefire. In Thailand now is about 9pm.

BTW , I have seen that Surefire G2L come with Aluminium head, mine is Nitrolon. Do you think anything to do with this Nitrolon head?

What Tel. number at Surefire should I call direct to customer service?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Thank again St. LED

In that case , I should call to Customer service from Thailand then. What time is it in USA right now and what time do they work in Surefire. In Thailand now is about 9pm.

BTW , I have seen that Surefire G2L come with Aluminum head, mine is Nitrolon. Do you think anything to do with this Nitrolon head?

What Tel. number at Surefire should I call direct to customer service?
Nitrolon head does contribute to higher heat but that is the head that Surefire sold you with the P60L inside so they are ultimately responsible.

800-828-8809 OR 714-545-9444

Call in 2 hours, I think. :tired:
If they want you to return the P60L here is the address. They may or may not. If so they will give you an RMA number.

SureFire, LLC.
Repairs Department, RMA#____
17680 Newhope, Suite B
Fountain Valley, CA 92708

Last edited:

stowaway89

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again St.LED

That is really great help. Well, I still like G2L anyway compare to others. I might try some other drop in as you suggested too if they ship to Thailand.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
:twothumbs :welcome:( I know you've actually been here as long as me)

This is best part of CPF, helping out other members if and when we can.
lovecpf When you get the chance pass it on.

stowaway89

Newly Enlightened
:twothumbs :welcome:( I know you've actually been here as long as me)

This is best part of CPF, helping out other members if and when we can.
lovecpf When you get the chance pass it on.

Yes, we jumped in about the same time. My post is only about 38 but yours is about 5000. Huge different!!!:eek:

Shops which sell good reputation Flashlight in Thailand are not many, only a few(Even in BKK). But many cheap Chinese made flashlights at all corners. They are cheap and good copy. When I first bought Surefire, all my friends said "You are crazy , just spend thousand bahts on just flashlight." I cannot help because my work relies on reliable flashlight.

gsxrac

Enlightened
Hmm could be a case of the Chip Weevils...? But in all seriousness I had the exact same problem. And when I say exact I mean that. I also owned a Surefire 6P with a P60L as my first "high end" light before I was introduced to CPF. My first light purchase after joining was, you guessed it, an Olight M20 Warrior premium. I didnt touch my 6PL for about a month and when I did I could have swore it was about half as bright as it used to be. Heres a thread from a while back about losing perspective

stowaway89

Newly Enlightened
Hmm could be a case of the Chip Weevils...? But in all seriousness I had the exact same problem. And when I say exact I mean that. I also owned a Surefire 6P with a P60L as my first "high end" light before I was introduced to CPF. My first light purchase after joining was, you guessed it, an Olight M20 Warrior premium. I didnt touch my 6PL for about a month and when I did I could have swore it was about half as bright as it used to be. Heres a thread from a while back about losing perspective

Quite interesting!! I have to borrow my friend's G2L to compare now. Am I addicted to flashlight? :D

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chevrofreak's graph of the G2led (when it had the non metal head) showed the light would quickly dim....not sure how much the aluminum head helps on the non metal body.

My p60l was verrry blue.

rumack

Enlightened
Quite interesting!! I have to borrow my friend's G2L to compare now. Am I addicted to flashlight? :D

Sounds like you might be. Welcome to the club! :devil:

After using Malkoff drop-ins in Surefires for a period of time I went back to the P60L and was surprised how blue it looked. I'm not saying there isn't something wrong with yours, but it could be just a change in your perception. Checking it against the one your friend has is a good idea.

I agree with Sgt. LED - Malkoff drop-ins are the way to go. Just stay away from the M60 in a non-metal body light as it will generate too much heat. You should be fine with the M60L or M60LL. According to the Malkoff site they don't list Thailand as one of the countries they ship to, but they do list some dealer websites and one of them may ship to Thailand. If all else fails, you can watch for a Malkoff drop-in to come up for sale on the CPF Marketplace.

One of these days I would like to check out an M20 myself.