Regulated Megalennium

oren1s

Newly Enlightened
What do you think about Megalennium regulated with Jimmy's PWM?

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/231489

It needs to have B+ from top plate to bottom. Regulator needs to be mounted at the tail cap while switch needs to be modified to momentary.

Problems are:

1. wiring regulator - to the bulb.
2. saving space taking out bottom plate or making it thinner.
3. It might need to have a dedicated pack of Batteries
4. considering making some battery holder which its polls will be leads of B+ & Regulator - to bulb.

What is yours opinion?

Thanks

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Yeah, I'm with Outdoors Fanatic on that one, but I think it would require and entirely new design, which spoils the simplicity of the FM design as we know it. I'm sure FM could, if he thought there was a market for it, make a version 2 of the Megalennium with room for Jimmy's PWM but I won't hold my breath on it.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure it could be done without a bit of retooling of the megalennium body. You would need to drill a hole through the body somewhere to run either the Vin+ to the tailcap or the Vout- to the top of the battery pack. You would also need a contact plate on one side of the regulator for the 3x 18650's to remain in series and then an additional contact plate to connect either to the bulb or the tailcap depending on which side you put the regulator. Not impossible, but you will run into space issues. It would be much easier if the mega body was completely bored out without the three holes for the batteries, then you could make a drop in pack.

oren1s

Newly Enlightened
Didn't think of retooling the body but rather building 3S 18650 pack in the same shape as the layout of the Megalennium chamber.
At the center of the pack running 1 or 2 wires for B+ & Reg_bulb-.

Mounting the PWM regulator at the bottom of the pack.
Switch should be momentary, mounted inside the screw ring of tailcap, isolated from body conductivity.

Rather than retooling the body, there might be an option of a longer tailcap to mount the regulator just above the switch.
After that there will be needed to make some 3 contact rings, isolated from each other, which covers the regulator. The same style should be at the bottom of the battery pack but with springs, thus making a rotary contact method between tailcap, switch, regulator and battery.

In such a case we will have to ask FM if he can make the longer tailcap and ring contact for it. The desirable extended length should be 5-7mm longer. Though final length should be calculated.

Last edited:

oren1s

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for that also :D

Just thought it would be nice Megalennium with regulation too.

I think it could be worked out if we would have had few mm longer tailcap and working with a pack style of 3x 18650. It will require appropriate top & bottom plate. While the regulator is screwed to the bottom of the tailcap, having some cover with 3 springs for contact.

Thus the body will stay versatile. Once you would like it regulated you could have use the pack with the regulated tailcap, or having it "stock" with the original battery plates and shorter tailcap.

Last edited: