Help me replace my EDC (nitecore EX10)

MstrHnky

Enlightened
I'm in need of suggestions to replace my original ex10. i misplaced it three days ago and can't find it anywhere. it may show up eventually, but i can't be without my favorite edc for much longer! plus now i have an excuse to buy another light. :)

as of right now, i'm leaning towards buying another ex10 (this time with an r2 emitter). what other lights should i consider?

the most important factors for me are:
cost <$75
size (must use rcr123a and back pocketable w/clip ONLY - i won't wear a holster)
performance (3 lumen low was awesome and 130 lumen high was great)
UI (i loved the simple UI and piston drive)
knurling (loved the aggressive grip on the ex10)

current contenders:

nitecore ex10 r2
dereelight c2h 4sd
4Sevens Quark 123

are there any others i should consider? what are your thoughts on these 3?

thanks for your help. i'll give myself one week to decide... guess it's back to my jetbeam c-le v2. ugh.

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
In addition, there're Nitecore Extreme (a bit more $$) and Liteflux LF3XT (now there's clip from the new tailcap) for your consideration. I have all except Quark 123, so if I'm to pick one, I would go for EX10 R2 simply for it's size, UI and PD.

Last edited:

MstrHnky

Enlightened
In addition, there're Nitecore Extreme (a bit more $$) and Liteflux LF3XT (now there's clip from the new tailcap) for your consideration. I have all except Quark 123, so if I'm to pick one, I would go for EX10 R2 simply for it's size, UI and PD.

i'll add the extreme to the short-list. i'm not sure how it'll fit into my pocket compared to the ex-10 because of the increase in size and the fact that the body isn't symmetrical. sitting on it might be uncomfortable. very powerful though. :)

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Since you liked the UI so much, another EX10 would probably be better than the Extreme. The Extreme is a good light too, but not so simple in use as the piston drive (there's a certain amount of head-twisting involved).

One thing to bear in mind is that the R2 Nitecores seem to have a yellower tint than the Q5 models (or at least a bit more tint variability). If you liked the crisp white of your old light it might be worth sticking with the Q5 - unless you felt like a change.

Whatever you choose, don't worry - your beloved EX10 will probably turn up eventually . . . right after you've ordered its replacement !

AbleArcher

Newly Enlightened
You've never heard of it but we have lots of cows
i'll add the extreme to the short-list. i'm not sure how it'll fit into my pocket compared to the ex-10 because of the increase in size and the fact that the body isn't symmetrical. sitting on it might be uncomfortable. very powerful though. :)

I haven't got an EX10 but I do have a D10 Q5 as well as an Extreme R2 and on the whole I prefer the Extreme. You're right when you say it's a bit bigger and a little bulkier than the piston drive lights but to my mind that just makes it better to grip and more 'tactile'. It's not the sort of light you can use one-handed if you're constantly changing between modes though.

From what I've read on these forums, I'm not certain if the difference in brightness between the EX10 and Extreme is as pronounced as NiteCore's figures suggest, so that might be a factor for you. There are some good threads on this subject if you hunt around for them and maybe someone who does have both can give their opinion.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
i just have to say that C2H is nice and powerful light..

but the runtime on high is abysmal. (atleast on my sample it is.. im lucky to get 25minutes before shutdown. and i think it shuts down becasue of thermal issues in 5-10minute intervals.) i like it for its power. tint (5a). size. feel (knurlings etc). pocket clip. ramp up- sequence that i picked.

i just couldnt use it as my main edc. the runtime was too weak on high mode. so its now my backups backups backup edc light.. (d10, jetbeam pro1, ch2)

most of my uses are less than 5 seconds each but i do sometimes need my edc to be able to run for 30+minutes on row. dereelight just cant do that.

now im waiting for the quark to arrive.. with high hopes,i expect it should push d10 out of the edc status..

MstrHnky

Enlightened
most of my uses are less than 5 seconds each but i do sometimes need my edc to be able to run for 30+minutes on row. dereelight just cant do that.

now im waiting for the quark to arrive.. with high hopes,i expect it should push d10 out of the edc status..

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/234960

using 1x rcr123a

ex-10 on high: 53 min to 50%
quark 123 on max: 30 min to 50%

above is the biggest drawback.

output on high:
ex-10: 2800 lux
quark 123: 5400 lux

that's a huge increase. real world? not sure.

between these two, i have to decide if it's worth going brighter and sacrificing runtime.

burntoshine

Enlightened
i say get another EX10. the EX10 was my absolute favorite EDC light. i just recently switched to carrying a D10 R2 (been favoring AA lights recently) and i like this light much better. yesterday i got my tritium vial from b@rt and put it in and now i like it even better. i'm a huge fan of the piston drive; it's quiet and more reliable. and the smart PD UI is awesome!

i have a quark AA and i love it, but my D10 has a deep pocket clip, last mode memory and, well, i just like it better. i say stick with what you love.

that's my 2 cents.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you think your old EX10 will turn up you might consider a D10.

Everything you like about the D10 with the ability to run common batteries. It will be a nice compliment to the EX10 when that one reappears. You can run LiIon in the D10 as well and it will outperform LiIon in the EX10.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you think your old EX10 will turn up you might consider a D10.

Everything you like about the Ex10 but with the ability to run common batteries. It will be a nice compliment to the EX10 when that one reappears. You can run LiIon 14500 in the D10 as well and it will outperform 16340 LiIon in the EX10.

litetube

Enlightened
I would stick with the EX10 and get a Titanium bezel from RUSSTang for it. The d10 threads are the opposite of the EX10 and in addition to it just not feeling as tough and more heavy duty as the EX10 I question its water resistance with the head backed off to momentary . Just my opinion though.

I dont now if you might have aproblem with the LF3XT turning on in your back pocket also ?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you're feeling adventurous, I'd say the new quarks. :)

if not, if you liked the Ex10 that much, get another one

Crenshaw

MstrHnky

Enlightened
any idea which light would have better throw between the ex10 and quark 123a?

i love taking out such a small light and amazing everyone by what it can do.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
quark 123 definately has more throw, YET it has a very useful (large) spill.

EX10's throw isn't as strong, the spill isn't as large (as the quark123), the light intensity is more evenly spread.

MstrHnky

Enlightened
i'm tempted to try out the quark, especially knowing that my ex10 MIGHT show up, although it hasn't yet.

run times on high scare me. ex10 ~53 minutes. quark ~32 min. that's nearly double the battery changing.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
people are usually tempted to always run @ max.
But is there a need?

From memory. A Quark123 w R2 is more efficient in terms of output/runtime compared to a EX10 w Q5 .

Use at a brightness that's sufficient, and you might be in for a surprise.

MstrHnky

Enlightened
people are usually tempted to always run @ max.
But is there a need?

From memory. A Quark123 w R2 is more efficient in terms of output/runtime compared to a EX10 w Q5 .

Use at a brightness that's sufficient, and you might be in for a surprise.

ex10 is more efficient on high, they tie at medium, and quark is more efficient at low.

i completely agree about brightness. i don't typically run on max for an extended time. but the medium setting on the quark is 18lm, high 70lm and max 170lm. ex10 is 5-145lm. that's a big jump from 70-170. i guess i have to see if 70 is enough for me.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam Jet II Pro IBS? That's a real pocket rocket on MAX with an RCR123 and its 3 modes are individually programmable too, strobes and SOS-es need never been seen till you need 'em.

IBS UI is a cinch to learn and use too.

Oh, and there is a 2 way clip (at least thats the clip that came with mine).

Latest posts