Need recommendations on 1 or 2XCR123 LED flashlights

brigadeer

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to purchase another CR123 LED flashlight. I currently have a Fenix PD30 LED that I like a lot that is a 2XCR123 light.

That said, I want another LED for my wife's car. I hear that most rechargeable Ni-MH batteries will drain very quickly in high heat environments. We live in Dallas Texas, and the flashlight would be stored in the car, so that is why I am looking at CR123 powered LED lights only.

Being that I already have a Fenix, I wanted to expand my horizons a bit and look at another manufacturer.

I would be very thankful for any and all suggestions for a good CR123 powered LED flashlight that will be stored in a very hot car. Thanks!

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
I would love to tell you about my surefire G2L and how amazing it is (it is) but, for about half the price you can get the Solarforce L2 with much more upgradeability (takes the 18650 batteries without boring) and their customer service is AS good if not better than Surefire's. The LED that comes in a Solarforce is also much brighter than the standard P60L. I just bought one on ebay for 37 bucks with charger and batteries. But the answer you will get from almost everyone on here will be Surefire 6PL which is an AMAZING flashlight, but you can get an ALMOST equivalent clone for far less. If money is no issue Surefire with a malkoff drop would be your best choice. Thats my 2 cents worth. GOOD LUCK!!

Marduke

Flashaholic
For a non flashaholic, a simple one mode is best.

Inova X5. Cheap, simple, bombproof.

That being said, any light that takes AA cells would also be ideal. L91's fair even better in storage than CR123's.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the wife... Ra EDC Clicky, Ra Twisty, Quark 123, Quark 2x123, nitecore ex10.

Or if she prefers simplicity Marduke's suggestion will work.

If she will drop the light, get the Ra lights i mentioned above. The thermal management in these lights will help you protect the light and the cells inside.

If you are looking for something that will out-do your Fenix lights... get the Quark lights I mentioned above. Best beam quality, bright, and has the same specs as the Fenix lights (sos, strobe, turbo, etc), but with an additional moonlight mode for excellent runtime when you need it most.

Or the Nitecore EX10 if you are just looking to blind people with brightness lol and do not want to deal with twisting to switch modes.

Grog

Enlightened
That being said, any light that takes AA cells would also be ideal. L91's fair even better in storage than CR123's.

I'm not on here nowhere near enough to have read that, but would that be just because of less accounts of L91s going kaboob VS CR123s?

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not on here nowhere near enough to have read that, but would that be just because of less accounts of L91s going kaboob VS CR123s?

L91's (Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA)are excellent in extreme conditions i.e. glove box in 100 degree weather, or left in car in subzero temperatures, etc. Although these cells I am referring to are not rechargeable.

Cr123's are lithiums as well, but if they are not protected cells i.e. they do not have a strip on their body that protects the cell from over discharge, whether it be over discharge from the flashlight, or more commonly a bad charger (if it is rechargeable), you maybe in for a surprise :poof:

But back to what Marduke is saying... I believe the L91's have a better track record for working and keeping charge when left for an extended period of time, not to mention way more accessible than the Cr123's especially for a non-flashaholic that does not keep Cr123 batteries on their person.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
+1, I'm transitioning my car glovebox light from 3x CR123 to 2x Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA's. Great shelf life like CR123's, but can be replaced with AA alkalines if necessary - in my car, I am by definition away from my rechargeables, reserve cells, chargers, etc. I like the idea of at least having a chance of 'refilling' from whatever shops might be nearby if necessary.

Last edited:

Toaster

Enlightened
For a glovebox light I would stick with 2xAA running on Energizer Lithiums as suggested. There are many suitable choices out there. Personally for me the upcoming Eagletac P20A2 in neutral tint will probably be my next 2xAA light.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
After doing some research on my own, any thoughts on the JetBeam Jet-II PRO (Q5)?

Why don`t you put the old Fenix you have in your wife`s car and buy whatever you want for yourself...like a 300+ lumen MC-E light.

Maybe get one of the coming up 47`s MC-E light and a 18650 batt/charger setup...?

That way you don`t have to worry about batts in the hot car as it will spend all it`s time on the night stand next to your bed...when your not playing with it or :kiss:ing the sweet little thing.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I am looking to purchase another CR123 LED flashlight. I currently have a Fenix PD30 LED that I like a lot that is a 2XCR123 light.

That said, I want another LED for my wife's car. I hear that most rechargeable Ni-MH batteries will drain very quickly in high heat environments. We live in Dallas Texas, and the flashlight would be stored in the car, so that is why I am looking at CR123 powered LED lights only.

Being that I already have a Fenix, I wanted to expand my horizons a bit and look at another manufacturer.

I would be very thankful for any and all suggestions for a good CR123 powered LED flashlight that will be stored in a very hot car. Thanks!

I bought my wife an Olight T20M for the car and showed her how to activate strobe in case of emergency. It has a nice mix of hotspot and spill. The next time I purchase from 47s I'm going to buy the Olight diffuser for it because although the hotspot is very bright it is very small. The review on http://www.light-reviews.com/olight_t20-m/ convinced me.

My wife loves the light because ...are you ready for this...."it is elegant looking." I had hoped she'd like the brightness or the stobe for emergencies or the compact size but what the heck?